Am I asking too much??

Joez4000

Ok, so drumming is my passion, and I've tried to be kind of an entrepreneur in combining my means of making money and favorite thing in the world to do into one by buying and selling drums. I love it, and most the time I make people happy and feel good about what I do, but I can hardly sell anything big, like a whole kit. For example, check out this info and tell me if it sounds like a good deal or not.... (I am truly searching for other people's opinion and completely open to whatever!)

CL POST Drum Set
$800
----
Need to upgrade to a serious drum kit? Here it is! Pdp MX by DW drum kit with all maple shells. Cymbals are pro Sabian AA and AAX. This is worth close to or more than twice this new. There isn't a better deal on Craigslist!

5-piece all maple shells
22" (10-lug) bass
10",12",14" toms
14" (10-lug) snare
Floor tom mount and rack toms mount

21" Sabian AAX stage ride
16" Sabian AA medium thin crash
14" Sabian AA regular hats (top and bottom)

Remo pinstripe batter heads on toms.
DW reso heads on toms and snare (remo)
DW batter head on bass (remo)
PDP batter head on bass
Evans Genera G2 coated head on snare

Pdp drum throne
Pdp double chain single pedal
Pdp heavy duty hi-hat stand
Pdp heavy duty straight stand
Pdp heavy duty snare stand
Sound Percussion boom stand
^ all double braced

Also included will be a Vater stick holder and a brand new pair of Vic Firth Buddy Rich signature drum sticks

$800

This is a GREAT deal, not really interested in trades or negotiation, it's already below what I want for it. If you know drums you now it's worth it!

------

$800 lol, I originally forgot to include price

Attachments

• 00N0N_2R6RwOGb0s_600x450.jpg
    00N0N_2R6RwOGb0s_600x450.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
The "organic" way of finding out if you're asking too much .... is you don't get any calls. Or all your offers are less than you're asking.​
If you are gonna make this a business ..... most guys doing that already, don't sell complete packages. You sell the drums as a shell pack. The cymbals individually. All the hardware separate.​
Also, CraigsList isn't really a way to reach out to a huge market. Guys I know, that are making the buy/sell thing work, buy off CL and sell on eBay.​

Re: THE CLASSIFIEDS - For Sale / Wanted

Drumming is my passion, but buying and selling allows me to go through all sorts of different gear and allow others to help pursue their drumming passion as well, so it's like my passions amplified by centering my business around it.. I'm about a year in. I'm still working out the kinks.. It's hard to accept sunk cost sometimes lol

I think its priced about right, maybe drop to 749 if you dont get any response in a week or so? I also enjoy buying and selling, only because it has allowed me to try out 40 or 50 snares and twice as many cymbals in the past 6 plus years. My only goal is to break even moneywise, evolve or my sound or tailor it to the current band I'm in. Good luck, there are people out there making a living selling drums but it has become a universal marketplace where the money is made in high volume low priced sales or very high end custom workwhich is even a tougher niche.

Re: THE CLASSIFIEDS - For Sale / Wanted

Drumming is my passion, but buying and selling allows me to go through all sorts of different gear and allow others to help pursue their drumming passion as well, so it's like my passions amplified by centering my business around it.. I'm about a year in. I'm still working out the kinks.. It's hard to accept sunk cost sometimes lol

I do the same thing. I buy, sell and trade gear like crazy. It completely funds my hobby and adds to my income. People tell me that I am silly for focusing so heavily on gear, but I have made as much as $20k (Lived in the San Francisco area at the time, which has a much stronger market for high end gear) and as little as $2k a year doing this part time. It elevated the quality of my personal gear too.

Anyways, when I started out I dealt mainly with vintage and high end gear. Mainly guitar related. This is great when you can find the right item for really cheap and flip it for a lot. Fact is, this takes a lot of time and even though it has higher returns, it just doesn't really move as quickly as one would like. The key is to sell large quantities of the cheap stuff, while still keeping a hand in the higher end stuff. There is a much larger market for inexpensive gear in this economy.

As far as the kit goes, it seems reasonably priced to me. The problem is that most people looking to buy a turnkey kit are looking for entry level prices. Most experienced players tend to piece things together. I think your best bet would be to offer it as a kit, but be willing to part it out. Offer a price for just the shells, hardware, cymbals, etc.

But, this is just my opinion based on my experience. For what it's worth, I have been looking at your ads for a week or so. They all seem reasonable to me.

A rather sneaky way of posting an ad in the wrong section... but I'll bite.

The Sabians are worth maybe $275, so I'd sell them separately. That will bring the kit down to a more (perceived) attractive price, and you'll probably get closer to what you want.

A complete, ready-to-go kit is not necessarily appealing. A lot of drummers have their favorite cymbals already, and just want more drums without paying for Sabians they won't use. Likewise, someone may want those Sabians, but not the kit. Keeping everything together scares off all of those who might otherwise buy one or the other.

Bermuda

A rather sneaky way of posting an ad in the wrong section
That was my impression also.
That's why I moved his thread into the Classifieds section (there had been a few replies already). Then after getting a PM from the OP I moved that post (and the related replies) back to the General section.

I understand that the thread is about getting some feedback on the price but see above, my impression is that it was an ad basically.

I've removed the Craigslist link so it's no longer an ad. :)

Bermuda

+1.This "thread" reminds me of the Ebay sellers that but,"Drum set Tama,Ludwig,Gretsch,Remo" so the auction will pop up in 4 different search catagories.Slightly dishonest,and not someone I'd do business with.

Steve B

I can see how it can seem fishy, but I have had similar issues to what he describes in the first post. I think the idea of posting a specific link instead of a general statement or description is probably not the best way to convey honest intentions, but I am giving the guy benefit of the doubt.

??? I honestly didn't feel it belonged in the Classified ads cause my intent wasn't to promote it to sell.. My whole reason for getting on DrummerWorld initially was to ask other real drummers opinions as to if the asking prices I had, just using this one example, were fair. Separate from this I intended to later on use the classified section to actually try to sell some stuff, but that was absolutely not my intent with this thread... I'm not a dishonest guy, I'm a Christian and heavily involved in my church and in no way would try to sneak around the rules, and in this case what would even be the point? Getting all the honest members upset at me? come on.... lol.

Is there a "value of your items" thread or something somewhere where my inquiry would've been more appropriate and welcome by everyone?

Oh, And thank you for your input guys!

Last edited:
I think it was a little shady that you didn't include a price in your post requiring the reader to click the CL link to see the price.

ohhhh, I just copied and pasted everything from the CL ads "body", but the price was in the ads title so it didn't get copied... my bad. that makes sense I guess, it also requires the people I'm trying to get opinions from to go through more work to help me out.. lol

Fixed it, lol. Is there a "value of your items thread on this site anywhere?" Just for inquiries and not necessarily to sell (yet).?

I don't feel that anything shady was going on. maybe next time ask where sellers get ideas for values?

Dang it - now I want to buy it.... I was all busy being a smart a$$ and didn't even look at the content of the ad.... I think it is a great deal and a well written ad. Good luck!

MM

When I want to sell something, I first look at ebay, craigslist etc to see what it is going for if I was wanting to buy it, then adjust my selling price.

Back