Remo or Evans? (snare head)

Dipschmidt

I'm looking for a new snare head. On my ludwig snare, I currently have an Emperor X on my batter side, but when I switched to that from the regular head that came with the snare, it made the snare sound really "fat". So which brand is better, remo or evans?
I'm looking at the Remo Controlled sound and the Evans Genera HD dry. which would be better? I'm looking for a head that will eliminate and/or control the overtones.

Some folks will tell you one is better than the other but it's really about preference; personal choice. Me, I'm an Evans guy but I'm not going to advise you against Remo. That's just my preference. They both make a good drum head. Try both heads for yourself and see which is better for you.

The quality (roughness) of Remo's coating is undeniably better, but Evans seem to be much more durable for my money.

personally i go with evans.

not that remo makes awful heads. its that evans are far more durable. once that coating is on its there to last.

idk how many of my remo snare heads have had chipped off coating

idk how many of my remo snare heads have had chipped off coating

I have the same. On the snare of my previous kit, I had a Remo Coated Pinstripe (Don't ask why, is was 12. and the shop advised it, but now I know much more about tuning and sound). The coating came off very fast.
On my current snare, I have an Evans Power Center Reverse Dot. I have for almost a year, and now there are some spots (about 1 mm dia) without coating. So, for me Evans coating lasts longer.

Bram

I personally love Evans heads on everything but my snares. I keep going back to the Remo coated ambassador. It just has the sound I love

Thanks everyone, I think I'll try evans and see if i like it better than my current remo heads.

As much as I've tried not like Evans (I played only Remo for a long time), I have to say that Evans have proven superior on my snare and toms. Right now I've got a Genera HD dry on my snare. It sounds great and I don't have to use any tape or moon gels. It seems muffle the head just enough but still have a little ring. Also, as previously stated, I've never had the coating wear off of an Evans head. With Remo it was an inevitability with snare batter heads.

The quality (roughness) of Remo's coating is undeniably better, but Evans seem to be much more durable for my money.

Really? I've found it to be quite the opposite.

I use Remo heads for my entire drumset... that is, except for the snares. In all seriousness, Evans snare heads are tough, don't lose their coating fast and have a great feel.

I'd only ever used Ambassadors on my snare until this year. I started with a band where I need to do a lot of sweeping with brushes. I found the Remo coating was too rough when new and took a day or two to wear it down so it wouldn't catch the brush wires. It didn't take long to lose most of the coating altogether.

I switched to Evans and the coating started out fine - not too rough - and has proved much more durable. For stickwork, I think a new Remo has a more edgy tone to it (which I like) than the Evans, but they lose the edge pretty quickly. Great if you're a pro who changes heads after each gig or two. Less useful for me.

I'm an Evans gal now

Evans Reverse Dot, nice and controlled in the center but doesnt take away all those nice overtones. I have reverse dots on 2 of my snares, and a g2 coated on my 13" piccolo.

Im using Remo PowerStroke 3 coated heads on two of my snares. I've had the heads for three months of heavy play and they are holding up well. Im going to buy another one for another snare that I just got.

Bob, how do you rate the Powerstroke against Ambassadors?
The PS3 has a thick dry sound when you play in on center with a great Crack. Much like an Emperor. As soon as you move off the 3rd ply center spot toward the rim, (about an inch and a half) it begins to sound more like an Ambassador. More sustain and some ring, but not as much as an Amb.
Snare buzz is a great deal less than an Amb also!
I have one on my Rhythm Traveler wood snare as well as my old Gretsch chrome snare.
I really like the PS3.
Elexcellent Crack! Warm in the middle, and tinny on the edges. Everything in between! Kind of the best of both worlds! These heads like the brushes a lot also.

Last edited:
Back