Drumset or Drumkit?

That's what I was about to say, batterie from the verb battre = to hit, like baseball bat.

French drumming vocabulary is not very extended though.
Charley or charleston = hi hat, but the other cymbals are simply ride, crash, splash.
Tom = tom.
Kick drum = grosse caisse, as in "big case".
Snare drum = caisse claire, as in "clear case".
Head = peau, "skin".
Hardware = simply called hardware, I can't imagine noone bothered to translate that, a French mouth can hardly pronounce that :)

OK I have bored you all enough now :)

Fun contribution. In Mexico, or at least the Mexican drummers that I have spoken to call it:

Kit/Set/Trap kit/Drum Array = Bateria like "battery"
Bass/kick = Bombo which comes from the name of a traditional native instrument
Cymbals = Platillos like "Plates" or "disks" Same Word that makes up the "saucer" portion of the Spanish term for a flying saucer.
Snare = Tarolla
Toms are just toms. Boring, I know
My favorite: Wood block = Caja China "Chinese box"

The person that plays the drums is a Baterista. I'm an American but I prefer to call my drums "kit" and I'll occasionally call it my "trap kit" because I'm and al old timey drummer and I'm just classy like that. Don't worry about it. I also like to call my bombo the kick or "kicker". Not really certain why...

Whatever you choose, it is two words not one.

Drum set. Drum kit. I don't understand when the combining of the two words came into play.

You mean like "a lot".

Ah, that brings back memories :) It's amazing how many otherwise intelligent people write "alot". It's way more wrong than "drumkit" which can at least lay some claim to be a compound word, especially in Europe.

On the other hand, "a" and "lot" will always be two separate words.

Ah, that brings back memories :) It's amazing how many otherwise intelligent people write "alot". It's way more wrong than "drumkit" which can at least lay some claim to be a compound word, especially in Europe.

On the other hand, "a" and "lot" will always be two separate words.

The Germans make all those strings of words like drumkit. I'm sure they call a throne something like a drumkitstool.

cymbalstand
kickdrumheadmuffler
cowbell….

Hey, why isn't it cow bell instead of cowbell?

I never understood drum kit. I began to see it more and more over the years. I eventually began using it. Same with kick drum. Never used that until more recently.

I haven't seen 'tubs' in the thread, yet. Or did I miss it? Seems to me there was a Tubs drum company back in the 70s.

The Germans make all those strings of words like drumkit. I'm sure they call a throne something like a drumkitstool.

cymbalstand
kickdrumheadmuffler
cowbell….

On the other hand the ominipresent English language is kind of destroying this German
thing I think, as more and more people - even journalists and other guys who should know
better - start to write many words who should be "stringed together" as you call it separately,
despite the rules of grammar.

cymbalstand
kickdrumheadmuffler
cowbell….

Yep, I've notice some Europeans write "drumsolo". It's not correct but no one cares :)

Woodblock is another compound word ...

Back