What hardware delivers a similar level of quality as the dw 9000 series at a lower price?

dorfmeister

I am planning to buy some heavy duty hardware (bass drum pedal, hi-hat stand, snare stand). I would be willing to buy DW 9000 series hardware as I know it has a rep for high quality and durability.

I am wondering though what gear you like that would come in at a lower price point while offering up pretty much the same level of quality and durability? This would be for a heavy duty kit set up permanently at home. I wouldn't be packing it up and moving it.

I am especially wondering about brands like Mapex, DDrum, Gibraltar, Taye, Yamaha, though I am open to any recommendations.

Just wondering who you think provides the most bang for the buck.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Tama, Pearl, and Sonor have some excellent hardware in addition to those that you have already mentioned.
Hardware is a personal thing.
I use different kinds of hardware for different reasons.
I find that I don't need super heavy duty hardware so I don't use it.
I transport my drums by myself, So the lighter the better for me!
I use single braced hardware on several of my kits.
I have heavy duty hardware on a kit that stays in my home studio.
It consist of mostly Tama.

Don't spend unnecessary money on hardware that you don't need.
Try out hardware and buy what works for you.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the DW 9000 series hardware is probably in a class by itself in terms of build quality,options, sheer weight and expense. If you can get by with lighter hardware, there are other DW alternatives if you want to stay within the same family. I also have stands and pedals made by Tama that spews quality along with hardware from Yamaha and Pearl that are always up to the task. It all depends on your needs and your budget.

Dennis

Do not bother with DDrum's hardware. Even the DXP top line stuff. They literally fall apart after about a year or so. I have all Pearl 1000 series, one off top line I believe, and they have never failed me, even after 4-5 years. Yes, the have slight surface rust on them, probably due to throwing them all in a bag, hitting against each other and chipping off the electroplating. It's just the spotty surface rust, probably will just come off with a damp cloth! But if I was to choose between the Pearl 1000 stuff or DW9000... The DW9000 without a doubt. There is a reason why they have the reputation they do!

I have a lot of 5000 series stuff, cheaper than 9000. it is going to be quite a few years before my skills notice the difference. The 5000 pedal is great.

I am planning to buy some heavy duty hardware (bass drum pedal, hi-hat stand, snare stand). I would be willing to buy DW 9000 series hardware as I know it has a rep for high quality and durability.

I am wondering though what gear you like that would come in at a lower price point while offering up pretty much the same level of quality and durability? This would be for a heavy duty kit set up permanently at home. I wouldn't be packing it up and moving it.

I am especially wondering about brands like Mapex, DDrum, Gibraltar, Taye, Yamaha, though I am open to any recommendations.

Just wondering who you think provides the most bang for the buck.

Thanks.

I recommend DW9000 series USED.

Gibraltar 9000 series is more than good enough. A lot cheaper and a lot lighter, too.

Thanks.

Good post. I've always wondered about 9000 gear alternatives.

Audiotech is right, being in a class by itself. Especially the EXPENSE part.
9000 gear will fit the ticket, since you are not packing it up each week and it is for Heavy duty use (as you know...it's quite heavy).

Get 'em used, but inspect carefully for missing washers, grommets, wear, pitting.
Either the 9000's or 5000's are good. My practice set has 5000 pedals + gear - nice. I got these off a guy that just started playing drums and had a motorcycle accident. Sad, but put back to good use. Got some nice Pearl 900 stands too.

Since pedals are each unique, within each maker - and within our own tastes - try them all!
...but inspect carefully if used.

DW 7000 series.
Less weight, just as sturdy, all the features, less money.
DW Flat base 6000 cymbal stands if you want light weight, quality, same features and don't run your cymbals extremely high.

Gibraltar 9600, or the newer Aluminum legged, Swing Nut line. Have a set of 9600 gear. Would never let you down. love the tilter, cymbals feel good in the felts, which are also high quality.

Tama Road Pro. A friend has them, lighter weight, really nice.

Those are the one's I am familiar with.

Pearl has a few nice stands, and Yamaha makes quality gear. I had the Yamaha line of 9000 and 7000 stands years ago, and it was great stuff. Never liked the design changes, but that's aesthetics, not function.
Never owned Pearl cymbal stands, but if the snare stands, and Road Pro seat are any indication, the rest of the stuff is top notch.

I'm thinking of doing all DW 5000 hardware.

How do you think it compares to similarly priced Tama and Pearl hardware?

Nobody has said this yet, so I will. After having owned DW 5000 and 9000 stuff - DW's heavy offerings are just stupidly over-engineered. I know you said it wouldn't be moving anywhere, and even if I wasn't moving it anywhere, I'd avoid it at all costs. In fact, I now do. When you have a crew of two people who move your stuff around and set it up and strike it for you, then you get the 5000 or 9000 stuff. Which leads me to the next question: if you're not moving it around, what do you want the heaviest hardware in the world for?

The simple reason DW hardware is that heavy and tough is because it's going to go on the road and be abused. Hardware never gets damaged when it's set up and you're playing it. It gets damaged when you move it from place to place. If you're not moving it, I would assume you don't need it.

If you're still insisting you need this stuff, I think Pearl's 900 series or Tama's Roadpro series are better designed. Some folks have had problems with Tama hardware lately, so maybe that leaves the Pearl stuff in the running, but I personally haven't. Yamaha's stuff is awesome and underrated, as well. I see it put to the test everyday at Disneyland (we have a deal with Yamaha and they provide us everything: drums, pianos, audio gear...) their stuff just works.

But I'm interested to know if there's some cosmic reason you want to outfit a kit that won't be going anywhere with really heavy stuff. It doesn't make any sense to me. Wouldn't that be like having a Roland TD-20 as the world's most expensive practice set?

For this geezer, the lighter the better. I actually wish I could find lighter stuff than I have.

The really light stuff I used to knock over as a kid doesn't seem to exist any more.
That's the crap I want these days. :) Cuz it's light, and I no longer use a sledge hammer
while I'm playing.

For this geezer, the lighter the better. I actually wish I could find lighter stuff than I have.

The really light stuff I used to knock over as a kid doesn't seem to exist any more.
That's the crap I want these days. :) Cuz it's light, and I no longer use a sledge hammer
while I'm playing.

Check out DW 6000, or Gibraltar's Flat base stands. They don't knock over anymore :)

Back