should i join this band??

drums_n_surf

so the story is, that i met some guys who needed a drummer over gumtree (kinda like craiglist) so i met up with em, and i had a jam with them today. They only wanna play originals and they're music is similar to radiohead and that. So all that is great, because i wanna play originals and i listen to similar music.

Problem is...if its a problem, is that they all have no future plan apart from making it big through the band. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just I have plans of having a career, and i just started uni and that. Obviously I'd love it if the band made it big and I didn't have to have a 'normal' 9-5 job. But it seems that my goals are a bit different from theirs. They all smoke and I don't know about drugs, but if that is the case, I dont really wanna be in that sort of crowd...so should I just ignore all these things and be a part of this band, or tell em that i don't??

Only if you have time for them. Jam with them a few more times. It's amazing what gets revealed 3 or 4 weeks down the road.

And be real clear about your priorities: education before the band. I am also in an ambitious band, and I made it clear that my studies would be my number one priority. No matter what.

What do you mean they smoke weed or fags? I wouldn't be bothered about taking drugs, let them do whatever it takes to get their creative juices flowing.
Also I wouldn't wouldn't think about the future too much, just stop and think about where you are now.
I always have a sort of "lazzies faire" with these sort of things.

Your in a tough spot. I know, been there. It sounds to me like your very determined to reach your career goals. That's good. Stay that way. Reaching your career goals doesn't mean you should have to sacrifice your musical ambitions. It's all a matter of finding a balance in your life and finding it by setting priorites. These guys should be able to understand that. If not then I say their making your decision for you. Don't worry. Something else will come along. It always does as long as you go and look for it.

As far as the smoking/drinking/drugs thing goes, I think the only thing you should be concerned with is that their not doing it on your time, hindering the practice time. That's always been my take on it. Do what you want on your time at your place but not on mine. Think about it. Your practicing, loudly, and some neighbor complains about the noise and they call the cops. Your string section just finished smokin a lefty and the room smells like a skunks rear end. Suddenly, the cops knock on the door. Do you want to be sitting there? Oh, there goes that career. Just a thought.

You like the music, So go with the flow. If they get to weird, lose them. Keep to your education and career goals. "To thy own self be true" But have some fun with diversions along the way. Bands are like women, When the right one comes along, you will know it! LOL! Just a stupid Bob Da Druma joke! Sorry about that last line! Life is never that simple. If only it were, If only it were...

Last edited:
Lol I'd run away, not walk away. Ware there are drugs there is trouble.

Back