Stanton Moore here

Re: Stanton Moore

apropos of nothing

i've been working on some of stnaton's stuff and by accident i found a lovely song to practice
RRLRRLRL
to.

its 'i want candy' by the bangles. the drumming on this song is wicked! check it out if you can.

j

Hey Nutha,

I could be wrong, but I think the band is Bow, Wow, Wow. If we aren't talking about the same version, RRLRRLRL also works great with this one.

Cheers.

did you buy it at a store, or "borrow" it from the internet? Stuff in the second category is OFTEN mislabelled (perhaps the most famous example being The Gourd's cover of Gin and Juice)

The famous version of that song from the 80's was by Bow Wow Wow, without a doubt. That was a cover I believe, but from the 50s or 60s, not the 80s. The Bow Wow Wow version is basically the Bo Diddley beat.

Here's some info.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"I Want Candy" is a song written and originally recorded by The Strangeloves in 1965 and went to number 11 in USA. It is a famous example of a song that uses the Bo Diddley beat.

"I Want Candy" has been covered numerous times by other artists since The Strangeloves original recording, most famously by Bow Wow Wow in 1982 and most recently by Melanie C, ex Spice Girl, for Ealing Studios movie of the same name I Want Candy.

The enduring popularity of Bow Wow Wow's recording is partly due to the memorable video that got heavy play in the early days of MTV. This recording is highly associated with 80's pop music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKDJdRGug5o

apropos of nothing

i've been working on some of stnaton's stuff and by accident i found a lovely song to practice
RRLRRLRL
to.

its 'i want candy' by the bangles. the drumming on this song is wicked! check it out if you can.

j

I wonder if Stanton's groove would work with Desire by U2...
Might have to tweak it a bit.....

I think alot of the stuff in his book DVDs would work although most of the stuff in there directly is for a N.O. Style 2-3 clave accent pattern, where the Bo Diddley that is used on I Want Candy (and on Desire if I recall correctly) is a straight 3-2 Clave, so you might have to switch some stuff up.

the most obvious choice to add a New Orleans flavor to either of those would be to play a single stroke roll on the snare, accented

RlrLrlRlrlRlRlrl (two measures)

with the "big four" underneath on the bass drum

and 2s and 4s hi-hat with the foot.

This is basically a 3-2 clave version of the 2-3 clave that Stanton discusses in his book as sort of "the" traditional second line beat (although the 2-3 new orleans version has the second of the 2 side delayed).

Just bought his book (and accompanying CD) as well as the III album last week, all are GREAT.

Hello all. I've been checking out Drummerworld for a while and regard it as a very valuable tool in the eternal quest for drumming and musical knowledge. I just wanted to
post, and say hello. Also I've recently posted a 2006 wrap up that might be fun for some of you to check out. you can check it out at http://www.stantonmoore.com/news/yearend2006.html. I look forward to talking with some of you. thanks, Stanton

Welcome, we are happy to see you here. So many of us idolize you.

I am personally a big fan of your music (though some other members defiantly get the biggest fan award). I love your technical foundation which, allows you to use the drums so expressively.

And I've heard about a charity in N.O. that helps out w/ displaced musicians.. do you know specifically which one that is?

Your website looks great also... see you around drummerworld.

Whoa, you're friggin awesome and I definitly dig the arrangement of When The Levee Breaks on III, it was mighty good. You're drumming is not only sweet to listen to but you're for some reason really awesome to watch. I don't know how to describe it, it's pretty smooth and full...if that makes sense.

If this really is Stanton, im going to shat myself.

Welcome aboard.Ive got a few questions for you if youre the real deal. Im a bit skeptical, as this IS the internet and I could say that im George Clooney and no one would have any way of knowing otherwise ( I hope you know what I mean, im not trying to be condescending.)

Yes, it is actually me. Bernhard said some people might not believe it.

For those who are interested in donating to help musicians in New Orleans, you can go to tipitinas.com www.tipitinas.com and donate to the Tipitina's foundation.

Tipitinas is s legendary club in new orleans that was founded as a place Professor Longhair and other New Orleans musicians could play and feel at home.

The foundation helps get musicians instruments and anything they might need.

I host a weekly student workshop there on Sundays as well (when I'm not on the road).

The foundation funds this workshop along with an intern program and actually provides schools with instruments and helps the musicians of NOLA get what they need to help rebuild the community.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Stanton - great to have you on board!!

---
...and for the sceptical ones: yes, this IS Stanton Stanton Moore.

I had the chance to meet Stanton on several occasions: Columbus, London, Austin....he's the man!!

He really cares of the heritage of New Orleans Drumming and made me aware of James Black and helped me building his page on Drummerworld.

Always when I listen to Stanton, it animates me to sit down on my drums - what can I ask for more....

Listen to Stanton:
Poison Pushy

Check also out his 2006 Review

and of course visit also his own forum:
Stanton Forum

Hey Forummembers: Take the chance and ask some interesting questions!!!

and never forget: R R L R R L R L .....

Bernhard

Last edited:
Questions will come later. It's an honor to have you here. Welcome.

Wow, amazing to have you on board Stanton! Have a look around, your expertise and advice will be much valued through all aspects of the forum.

hi stanton.
i met you with bernhard at drummerlive in london. i have both your dvds and your latest cd stanton3. excellent stuff. i've been working a lot with just the one 2nd line pattern you show ...RRLRRLRL. it is really enjoyable once you hear the clave in there and have the hihat going. i've even added a cut down (sliced in half) 13'' tom to the left of my hihat to act as a pandero. i've tuned it lower than my floortom. i try to incorporate the pattern into solos where possible by breaking it over the kit. sounds killer though i know i'm still playing it too straight ... kind of like that 'i like candy' song by the bangles.
anyway just wanted to say thanks for opening my eyes and ears to new orleans.

j

It's fantastic to have you here Stanton! It's a real privilege for us, and I hope you enjoy it.

I have recently been working on some second line ideas to incorporate into my playing. I find them amazingly funky and hip in comping and also using some press roll ideas. I have been trying out an exercise you suggested which was letting the sticks turn in your hands while doing a press roll...'tis very frustrating hahaha.

Cheers.

Back