Travis Smith

I think he is a huge talent. Although live I always have found him to be drowned out by the other musicians in Trivum.

GNRFAN

Triviums Travis Smith

I know there was a tread about him, but it was like three years old so thought I should start a new, after Trivium released their new album, The Crusade, and everything.

So what do you think about him? How is he compared to other "trash" metal drummers? I know for sure that I love all his stuff, plays what really fits in the song and the guy has some psycho doublebass!

Re: Triviums Travis Smith

I know there was a tread about him, but it was like three years old so thought I should start a new, after Trivium released their new album, The Crusade, and everything.

So what do you think about him? How is he compared to other "trash" metal drummers? I know for sure that I love all his stuff, plays what really fits in the song and the guy has some psycho doublebass!

I think he is excellent. One of my students brought in a tune on his mp3 so I could hear it. I was impressed. I also read an interview with him in MD and I liked his attitude. He seems to be very serious about his craft. I don't know how he compares to others. As far as I can tell, the standard is quite high. So I imagine most of these people are at the top of their games. I find it hard to compare artists anyway. Especially when none of them play the same tunes.

haha the picture of his with his ddrum kit the pose hes doing is hilarious. fine drummer though.

Is it just me or is Travis Smith (Trivium) rediculously good. The real reason that I am posting this is because i cannot figure what he is doing on the opening of "Pull on the Strings of your Martyrs." It is off of the album Ascendancy and if anyone can help me there that would be great, BUT ALSO what are your thoughts on his playing? I personally think that he is the man and I am going to base many more drumbeats off of his... style? A.K.A. He is now one of my prime influences. but those are my thoughts, what are yours?

i agree whole heartedly....thing is ive seen him live 3 times and i love the band........he has a pretty nice solo too...........his technique is perfect for the style he plays and hes got nice rudiments!......pull harder is a very hard song to play and i didnt give up on it but i customized it to make it my own and i just did a tom roll and worked around a few fills......

also dare i say it that travis smith is one of the best metal drummers since...joey jordison.....when you compare the too both skill and speedwise both are pretty even travis having the advantage of youth hehe

Pull harder isnt a hard song. Try yourself on Drowned and Torn Asunder or Washing Me Away in the Tides.

i dont think many of his songs are very hard when you understand how to play properly...the first song i learned to play was a gunshot to the head and is a good example of fast doubles and slow singles on the double bass pedal especially for teaching

nah man its just hard to explain

i was taught by an old jazz session drummer and he doesnt call anything what it is

slow singles(double bass pedal).....= the chorus of gunshot
fast doubles(" " " ).....= the verse of gunshot

i havent a clue of most terms cuz neither does he but im learning how to play thats all that matters

nah man its just hard to explain

i was taught by an old jazz session drummer and he doesnt call anything what it is

slow singles(double bass pedal).....= the chorus of gunshot
fast doubles(" " " ).....= the verse of gunshot

i havent a clue of most terms cuz neither does he but im learning how to play thats all that matters

Hahaha that was Brilliant!!!

Yeah i dont like the band (a friend of mine is obsessed wit them and all he does is talk bout them wich is very annoying) but i find myslef listening to them alot due to travis some of his licks are quite the tasty!!!!

I saw him live a couple of weeks ago.. And he is awsome. But he missed the tempo during Rain all the time tough... But I doesnt really matter. He is a great drummer:)

Travis is like a HUGE inspiration to me! His timing, speed and fills are awesome! I can't wait for the new album!! Apparently they are going to try bring out their Live sound a bit in it and try not to use computers to edit their songs! and its going to be more screamo!! =)

Does anyone know how he gets this snare sound? Shogun rocks and I know he's using a metal snare, but I don't know what kind of metal and how he tunes it. Anyone got an idea?

A nice thread bump for one of my favourite drummers.

Those familiar with Trivium's artwork may notice that my avatar is part of the picture for "Kirisute Gomen". Listening to Trivium/Travis is what first got me interested in drumming.

I wish he was on the "Shogun riffs" section of the bonus DVD for Shogun. I know it says "riffs", but I'd have loved to hear him go into more depth about his drumming.

travis smith

who thinks hes a good drummer?

i personally have just been turned on to trivium, i was skeptical at first. but i think theyre one of the best bands around right now

i think his footwork is very syncopated. and his rolls are magnificent

i want YOUR input on travis smith and trivium

Back