Mac Vs PC

All I have to say is wait a couple more years and see whats going to happen. Just wait....

Peace
AGR

hahaha, wait a couple years for apple. they both run on the same processors now, YOU CAN RUN WINDOWS XP fully on a mac, and boot between them, HOW CAN a PC be better, i have windows XP pro on my mac mini, but i don't really use it that often. it's there if i need it, i also stream everything from my computer to my 360, so all my music/etc.

I don't get why someone would buy a PC because they think macs can't use all the windows crappy programs? you can run windows and i am yet to find something i can do on windows that i can't on a mac, go the other way, there is so much a mac can do that windows cannot. and mac MAKES their own HARDWARE. pc you have to buy crappy dell hardware which is ugly as hell. i'm not trying to fight with anyone on this, it just pisses me off that some of you are arguing without knowing all the facts. and ya, tamaplayer, i am sure PC is gonna be better in a few years, but now, there about 4 years behind mac and in 2 more they will be what a year or so behind, and hey, if there so good, i can just run it on my MAC? so i think a mac is a win win situation.

-END RANT.

-Wes

hahaha, wait a couple years for apple. they both run on the same processors now, YOU CAN RUN WINDOWS XP fully on a mac, and boot between them, HOW CAN a PC be better, i have windows XP pro on my mac mini, but i don't really use it that often. it's there if i need it, i also stream everything from my computer to my 360, so all my music/etc.

I don't get why someone would buy a PC because they think macs can't use all the windows crappy programs? you can run windows and i am yet to find something i can do on windows that i can't on a mac, go the other way, there is so much a mac can do that windows cannot. and mac MAKES their own HARDWARE. pc you have to buy crappy dell hardware which is ugly as hell. i'm not trying to fight with anyone on this, it just pisses me off that some of you are arguing without knowing all the facts. and ya, tamaplayer, i am sure PC is gonna be better in a few years, but now, there about 4 years behind mac and in 2 more they will be what a year or so behind, and hey, if there so good, i can just run it on my MAC? so i think a mac is a win win situation.

-END RANT.

-Wes

I dont think you understand whats going to happen. Macs are not as GREAT as you put them up to be. Who says you have to buy a Dell? Have you even walked into a best buy recently and looked at the compter section. I think not. Look at this. You see that, now look at the price, SOLD OUT. Its only 364.99$. Ok, now lets look at a Mac. here. Yeah, sure its a little better. Somemore GB's but look at that price tag. 2,400$. Now I would not ever spend that much money on a fricken CPU. No monitor, no keyboard, the CPU. Well, your gonna say, " well its only more expensive because its better" Well, ok Im gonna reply to that before I give you that chance, wnameth. That thing is worth at MOSt 1200$ not 2400$. It may have some more features and all that jazz, but not 2400$ worth.

When you say that Windows is four years behind, you are mistaken my friend. How can you prove to me there behind 4 years. Other than the fact you think all the programs are better then PC's. Please, tell me.

Peace
AGR

I had to make the same decision some weeks ago.
I almost bought a Macbook Pro, but then I found the ASUS A8JS. A Macbook Pro with the same power would cost about 2500$ and the ASUS Laptop was 1600€, it has a built in camera, is slightly smaller (I wanted a laptop that was I could actually lug around), has a better graphics card than every macbook out there, 120 GB and well, as I already said, same or even more power (especially for gaming due to the better graphics card) for less money.
If you were going for a 17' (since the Asus is a 14.4' widescreen) I'd recommend the Toshiba Sattelite P100 series. Those with the Geforce Go 7900 eat Macbooks for breakfast concerning gaming power and can easily cope with the "working power" of Macbook Pros for far less money.
Of course, If you're a fan of MAC you'll prefer all those special gimmicks and the software and what not, but in the end PC and MAC aren't that different and it's a matter of taste, if you're rational, don't pay for the name or the design, pay for the power you need.

As a recently converted Mac user, all I can say is that in the last two months, I've had ONE software crash and that was MSN, written by, guess who, Microsoft. I could run Windows if I wanted to, and the actual specs of the Mac become irrelevant when compared with Windows based systems because they Windows architecture is built on bottlenecks. I could have a 2.8 Ghz PC with Windows and it wouldn't outperform my new 2.0 Ghz iMac, even with the same 1 GB of RAM. I'm also an ex-Linux user, and the Linux I ran (Ubuntu) was easily twice as fast as the Windows XP I had on the dual boot system. Specs are utterly irrelevant.

And guess what? If I wanted to, I could put Windows on here with absolutely no problems. My girlfriend recently bought a MacBook, it outperforms her family's Windows Laptops despite having a technically lower spec, after three months their laptops were crashing all over the place, left right and centre, after a month on her MacBook, there hasn't been a SINGLE crash. Not one. Nada. Not even a software crash, let alone the full hardware crashes she was constantly getting on the Windows Laptops.

The old Mac vs. PC discussion. There was a much stronger debate on this when Windows first came out. Back then, tons more Mac users than today. I had a Mac back when they had 40M hard drives...That was about 1990ish. I bought my first PC from Dell about 10yrs ago. Never had a single problem with it. Never go a virus. Never had it crash. About 5yrs ago I upgraded with another PC from Dell. Still...Never got a virus...Never had it crash. When I say crash, I mean loose the hard drive. I've had it lock up on me, but never have lost anything....On either PC. 2 years ago, got a PC laptop from Dell. Never got a virus...Never had it crash...

In the work world...very, very few people use Macs. I've worked for companies with 15 people and 15,000 people. Both use PCs. You may find the rare Mac here and there, but for the most part PCs dominate. Better support, better applications, lower cost.

The old Mac vs. PC discussion. There was a much stronger debate on this when Windows first came out. Back then, tons more Mac users than today. I had a Mac back when they had 40M hard drives...That was about 1990ish. I bought my first PC from Dell about 10yrs ago. Never had a single problem with it. Never go a virus. Never had it crash. About 5yrs ago I upgraded with another PC from Dell. Still...Never got a virus...Never had it crash. When I say crash, I mean loose the hard drive. I've had it lock up on me, but never have lost anything....On either PC. 2 years ago, got a PC laptop from Dell. Never got a virus...Never had it crash...

In the work world...very, very few people use Macs. I've worked for companies with 15 people and 15,000 people. Both use PCs. You may find the rare Mac here and there, but for the most part PCs dominate. Better support, better applications, lower cost.

You couldnt of said it better murph!

Peace
AGR

As a recently converted Mac user, all I can say is that in the last two months, I've had ONE software crash and that was MSN, written by, guess who, Microsoft. I could run Windows if I wanted to, and the actual specs of the Mac become irrelevant when compared with Windows based systems because they Windows architecture is built on bottlenecks. I could have a 2.8 Ghz PC with Windows and it wouldn't outperform my new 2.0 Ghz iMac, even with the same 1 GB of RAM. I'm also an ex-Linux user, and the Linux I ran (Ubuntu) was easily twice as fast as the Windows XP I had on the dual boot system. Specs are utterly irrelevant.

And guess what? If I wanted to, I could put Windows on here with absolutely no problems. My girlfriend recently bought a MacBook, it outperforms her family's Windows Laptops despite having a technically lower spec, after three months their laptops were crashing all over the place, left right and centre, after a month on her MacBook, there hasn't been a SINGLE crash. Not one. Nada. Not even a software crash, let alone the full hardware crashes she was constantly getting on the Windows Laptops.
Thank YOU. TAMA player doesn't seem to get the dual boot feature. you either love it or you hate it. alot of ppl love to hate it because there ignorant. i used to say mac sucks bla bla bla. but then i really got to use them for Photoshop and final cut pro and just the beauty and ease of use. wow. i love them and WILL never go back. and if tamaplayer is talking about vista being advanced think again. everything in vista is taken off of tiger by the time that is in full tilt mac will be 2 OS's Ahead! i'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but you are comparing a great very durable and nice looking mac to a cheap PC. you have to realize when a company makes there own hardware they DO IT RIGHT> laptops/desktops made by dell, acer or even sony don't come close. and yes like MFB stated, specs are completely different, because the software designers can utilize the hardware well. windows does not, my 1.5GHZ core solo mini will blow a 2ghz PC outta the water.

-Wes

Basically, as far as I see it, PC's have to have a fair amount extra in terms of specs to actually outperform like-for-like tasks (like startup and shutdown, especially startup) over their Mac counterparts. My iMac is working within twenty seconds of pressing the power button and when I say working, I don't mean the initial ten second Windows 'freeze' whilst it's bastardising your system, I mean actually being able to run it fully as if it had already been running for half an hour. Open programmes, anything. It just works.

And Murph, you've had no problems with your Dell Laptop, that's fine. You probably have a vague semblance of what you're actually doing with the security, and how not to get viruses. The simple fact of the matter is that if you put a 'naive' user on a Windows PC and a Mac, it's obvious who'll have most viruses and crashes the quickest.

Basically, as far as I see it, PC's have to have a fair amount extra in terms of specs to actually outperform like-for-like tasks (like startup and shutdown, especially startup) over their Mac counterparts. My iMac is working within twenty seconds of pressing the power button and when I say working, I don't mean the initial ten second Windows 'freeze' whilst it's bastardising your system, I mean actually being able to run it fully as if it had already been running for half an hour. Open programmes, anything. It just works.

And Murph, you've had no problems with your Dell Laptop, that's fine. You probably have a vague semblance of what you're actually doing with the security, and how not to get viruses. The simple fact of the matter is that if you put a 'naive' user on a Windows PC and a Mac, it's obvious who'll have most viruses and crashes the quickest.

I do see your point there MFB, BUT. If have the right systems and settings on your PC, then of course its going to open in 20 seconds. When I first got my computer as soon as it started I changed all of my settings in the bios and in the control panel. Its alot more complicated then most people think. You are right, a new mac user would do better on a mac rather than a PC, but if you are expeienced then a PC opens up worlds of things. A mac however, does not give so many options as to which how you would like your computer to run. I really dont have that big of a problem with macs, really. I just do not intend to use them. Maybe in the future I may buy one, but nothing in the NEAR future.

Murph probably has some expierence with computers, thats why he hasnt had problems with his. My computer has not ever crashed, froze or has gotten on a 100% full CPU usage which I use the Task Manager to monitor. Theres just so many ways we could go on and on about this. I believe I have made my point and I believe that the Mac users have too.

Peace
AGR

I do see your point there MFB, BUT. If have the right systems and settings on your PC, then of course its going to open in 20 seconds. When I first got my computer as soon as it started I changed all of my settings in the bios and in the control panel. Its alot more complicated then most people think. You are right, a new mac user would do better on a mac rather than a PC, but if you are expeienced then a PC opens up worlds of things. A mac however, does not give so many options as to which how you would like your computer to run. I really dont have that big of a problem with macs, really. I just do not intend to use them. Maybe in the future I may buy one, but nothing in the NEAR future.

Murph probably has some expierence with computers, thats why he hasnt had problems with his. My computer has not ever crashed, froze or has gotten on a 100% full CPU usage which I use the Task Manager to monitor. Theres just so many ways we could go on and on about this. I believe I have made my point and I believe that the Mac users have too.

Peace
AGR
agreed, no hard feelings.

Good good good, now we're getting to an understanding.

My only point would be that now the Mac user has all the options that a Windows user used to have and still does, because Macs can basically run other OS's. If I wanted to run Windows, I could run Windows and I could easily play something as a PC gamer if I wanted to. The fact that I do not choose to does not mean that I can't. It would be interesting to see what would happen if companies actually bothered setting up their BIOS settings correctly. It really would. I know a lot of the computers I see are poorly set up and as a result run slowly. I also believe that the Windows architecture wastes a lot of your system potential, which the Apple computers fully utilise. Really, this is not a PC/Mac debate, it's an OS/X/Windows XP (Vista) debate and I know which I prefer. In fact, if I ran a PC, I'd run Linux anyway, I never wish to run Windows again after my ten years of Windows drudgery and another four with DOS 6.0 and 5.0 as a toddler.

Of course owning a PC has advantages, like basically unlimited hardware options, but if you want to buy a computer as a computer and not customise (as about 85%-90% of the market buy whole computers) then Macs have numerous advantages to badly-built and setup PCs.

My PC is up most of the time. So, I don't care about boot up and shutdown.

My laptop does get booted up and shutdown more often. Yes, it takes a while. But compared to the 10 minutes I used to wait back in the old days...I can suffer.

Agree, for the novice user...security is less of an issue on a Mac. That will probably always be true...PC users need to get educated on this. It's only going to get worse....lot's of bad people out there....:-(

I'm sure a Mac has better specs on some programs (maybe even many) compared with a "comparable" PC. But at this point, PC's and Mac's are so damn fast....It shouldn't make a difference. If there is one program you really want/need to use and they only make it for the Mac....I'd research and try to find something close on the PC. I would not recommend buying a Mac based on the desire to run 1 or 2 specific programs...

Anyways, that's my $0.05,
Peace Out,
Murph

Thank YOU. TAMA player doesn't seem to get the dual boot feature. you either love it or you hate it. alot of ppl love to hate it because there ignorant. i used to say mac sucks bla bla bla. but then i really got to use them for Photoshop and final cut pro and just the beauty and ease of use. wow. i love them and WILL never go back. and if tamaplayer is talking about vista being advanced think again. everything in vista is taken off of tiger by the time that is in full tilt mac will be 2 OS's Ahead! i'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but you are comparing a great very durable and nice looking mac to a cheap PC. you have to realize when a company makes there own hardware they DO IT RIGHT> laptops/desktops made by dell, acer or even sony don't come close. and yes like MFB stated, specs are completely different, because the software designers can utilize the hardware well. windows does not, my 1.5GHZ core solo mini will blow a 2ghz PC outta the water.

-Wes

First off, do not tell me I dont understand anything about the dual boot feature.You may be able to do that and thats great.But why would you use a PC program on a mac? According to you all of PC's programs suck. Right? Well then why would you want to use crappy windows on your precious Mac?? I do understand however that you LOVE macs and just absolutley hate PC's. Well, then since your saying your not being a dick here you sure are acting like one. Yes, we all know that the Vista was ripped off from the Tiger. So what! Who really cares. And if your calling me ignorant than your the one who doesnt know ANYTHING about PC's apparently because all you do is rip on them and constantly find some kind of random, stupid point about them. Now then, if we could just stop fighting or "debating" this, that would be great. We are probably not going to change anyones mind, so can we agree to disagree?

Peace
AGR

Hmm...I've had 3 PC's in my life.
First was a 386, second was a 266mhz PII and this one is a 2.0 ghz Celeron, 228RAM, 32mb video.
Ya we're not the richest family in the world haha.
Well anyway, with this computer I've lost the HD twice due to various OS-inflicted bugs, never had a virus that actually did anything to my system. You know, its nice and convinient but the HD lockdowns really irritate me haha, I contemplated installing debian or something of that sort but thinking about the rest of my fam. who arent quite at home with computers, I chose not to.

Anyway, I'd like to start recording drumss soon and I hear Mac is the way to go in that sense. REally, Ive seen a lot of very high spec PCs performing worse than my computer (2gb RAM, 512video??, 3.4ghz - according to windows..) and it makes me a little cautious about buying another PC.

Also, I hear that the PC architecture is very inefficient compared to Macs, then again Macs are rediculously expensive.
Other thing is that...PC parts are manufacture in a bazillion different locations and theres a million different companies making the parts, while MAC has specific products, macbook, macbook pro etc.

Bottom line thoe, for multitrack recording, which is better? d;
I think MAc. You?

Really, this is not a PC/Mac debate, it's an OS/X/Windows XP (Vista) debate and I know which I prefer.

I prefer Unix, gnu, emacs, and anything else of this nature...

Which I use at work for real work...

But, I must use a PC (for presentations and spreadsheets...) with SW and OS written by people from the Evil Empire...but hey, that's life...

You guys should go back about 15years and see what kind of debates they were having then on this stuff!...lol...

over and out,
murph

Anyway, I'd like to start recording drumss soon and I hear Mac is the way to go in that sense. REally, Ive seen a lot of very high spec PCs performing worse than my computer (2gb RAM, 512video??, 3.4ghz - according to windows..) and it makes me a little cautious about buying another PC.

Also, I hear that the PC architecture is very inefficient compared to Macs, then again Macs are rediculously expensive.
Other thing is that...PC parts are manufacture in a bazillion different locations and theres a million different companies making the parts, while MAC has specific products, macbook, macbook pro etc.

Bottom line thoe, for multitrack recording, which is better? d;
I think MAc. You?

Heh, another ex-386 user. I miss my 386, playing the original Prince of Persia and Steel Empire...

I'm not going to say either is really better to be honest. I'm running a Mac mainly for this (eventual...) purpose basically because of compatibility with what I have available to me at college, which is basically a load of Macs with Logic. I run a Mac with Logic, brilliant. I have no complaints about this setup, other than the fact that I'm now going to have to buy my audio interfaces etc at a later date. A few months ago I was seriously considering building a custom PC with a massive audio interface and all the gizmos I'd need to start recording built in, which is very much possible with a PC. In the end, for convenience's sake and for the sake of compatibility, I went with the Mac. That and the fact that I was pretty sick at the thought of having to use Windows XP 64 as my secondary OS (I would've been using Linux like I used to for every day tasks). So:

You can get a lot more for your money with a PC. No doubt. You can customise more with a PC than you can with a Mac (Mac Pros not included, Jesus look at the specs that are potentially available there, 9Ghz of DUAL CORE processing power, etc etc, but I'm talking consumer models here) and PC's tend to have more in the way of user support because of the ubiquity of PC's. The downsides are Windows as a secondary OS (if you run a dual boot) and the lack of specific product support if one of your components breaks down.

DAW software, like Logic or Cubase is usually fairly cross-OS orientated, with exceptions. Logic is basically for Macs (the older versions work on PC) and Magix Samplitude is for Windows. Which software you actually use is entirely your own choice.

Macs have advantages too. The stable nature of the main operating system is a big one for me. The ease and convenience they provide from the second they start to run and the fact that they have excellent product support is also a huge advantage. They are not as customisable in the consumer models and they are considerably more expensive. Personally, I like Macs for my work. Others may like PCs. It really is just personal preference and ultimately it comes down to a gut instinct. Both are ultimately probably both relatively the same in terms of objective assessment.

Heh, another ex-386 user. I miss my 386, playing the original Prince of Persia and Steel Empire...

I'm not going to say either is really better to be honest. I'm running a Mac mainly for this (eventual...) purpose basically because of compatibility with what I have available to me at college, which is basically a load of Macs with Logic. I run a Mac with Logic, brilliant. I have no complaints about this setup, other than the fact that I'm now going to have to buy my audio interfaces etc at a later date. A few months ago I was seriously considering building a custom PC with a massive audio interface and all the gizmos I'd need to start recording built in, which is very much possible with a PC. In the end, for convenience's sake and for the sake of compatibility, I went with the Mac. That and the fact that I was pretty sick at the thought of having to use Windows XP 64 as my secondary OS (I would've been using Linux like I used to for every day tasks). So:

You can get a lot more for your money with a PC. No doubt. You can customise more with a PC than you can with a Mac (Mac Pros not included, Jesus look at the specs that are potentially available there, 9Ghz of DUAL CORE processing power, etc etc, but I'm talking consumer models here) and PC's tend to have more in the way of user support because of the ubiquity of PC's. The downsides are Windows as a secondary OS (if you run a dual boot) and the lack of specific product support if one of your components breaks down.

DAW software, like Logic or Cubase is usually fairly cross-OS orientated, with exceptions. Logic is basically for Macs (the older versions work on PC) and Magix Samplitude is for Windows. Which software you actually use is entirely your own choice.

Macs have advantages too. The stable nature of the main operating system is a big one for me. The ease and convenience they provide from the second they start to run and the fact that they have excellent product support is also a huge advantage. They are not as customisable in the consumer models and they are considerably more expensive. Personally, I like Macs for my work. Others may like PCs. It really is just personal preference and ultimately it comes down to a gut instinct. Both are ultimately probably both relatively the same in terms of objective assessment.

Well said mfb, I agree with you completely.

Peace
AGR

After going through a virus attack,
losing a hard drive,
fighting off hackers,
upgrading all my software,
installing fire-walls,
being threatened with being cut-off by my email provider,
and a host of other problems..
I have fixed my computer...
and NOW it works exactly the way I want it to!

Beerpc.jpg

To quote the Mac commercial, and the Wall Street Journal. Leopard is faster and better than Vista. Choose whichever you wish but remember you can run Windows programs on Mac but no one can run Mac Programs on a PC. I'll be thinking of this little debate as I attend the MacWorld Expo in San Francisco next week.

Last edited:
Back