Drum Instruction DVD & Book Reviews

Does anyone have recommendations for books that teach you how to read? I already taught myself the VERY basics but would like to go deeper.

It's a DVD rather than a book, but Pat Petrillo's 'How to Read Rhythms.....Better' is an excellent instructional for getting started reading. It does contain plenty of PDF's that you can print out and practice reading along with.

Rock Drumming System Review
Another solid DVD system

The Rock Drumming System provides a step-by-step lesson system to take you from beginner to advanced more quickly than you thought possible.

What I like:

The system is broken down into beginner, intermediate, and advanced systems with a DVD and workbook for each level.
Songs to jam along with; you get to watch the song being played on the DVD, then play along with the CD.
Wide variety of lessons and techniques covered.
Professional instruction.
What I don't like: samsung galaxy s6 edge plus hülle

Jared is the only instructor so you only get to learn from him, kind of like private lessons.
Not as much content as Learn & Master Drums or the Drumming System.
The beginner level moves a little slowly, but then you advance to the intermediate and advanced levels.
Overall, I would say this is a good system for drum lessons. It doesn't have nearly as much content as my top 2 picks, but is still a good value.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a book/dvd out there specifically aimed at kids beginners drumming?

If not (you could make one!) what would you say is best for starting a kid off?

Thanks

Dave

I also have been thinking of that, Contact me at my website, I have a few great ideas we can talk about....

Does anyone know if there is a book/dvd out there specifically aimed at kids beginners drumming?

If not (you could make one!) what would you say is best for starting a kid off?

Thanks

Dave

TITLE: The Level System
This book deals specifically with stick heights and how they relate to certain rudiments and grooves.
More of a reference book than a specific exercise book it would work great along side Master Studies, Stick Control and Accents and Rebounds.

Just a thanks for the recommendations here. I've ordered all but Master Studies. That was only because I need a recommendation for Beginner's Studies. (Playing, not reading which I can already do.)

So thanks again and to any who might be able to suggest a beginners book.

Hey folks. I found the book/cd Pedal Control by Don Famularo on Amazon and was wondering if anyone here had checked it out. I tried to search for it on here but the only time it came up was when someone else a while back asked about it. With all of the reviews on here, surely someone must've tried this book!

Hey folks. I found the book/cd Pedal Control by Don Famularo on Amazon and was wondering if anyone here had checked it out. I tried to search for it on here but the only time it came up was when someone else a while back asked about it. With all of the reviews on here, surely someone must've tried this book!

I bought this book, i can take some shots and send to your email, because post here may have copyright problem....

Here are two somewhat lesser-known books I really enjoy:

Peter Retzlaff and Jim Rupp - Turn it Up & Lay it Down: Baby Steps To Giant Steps

STAR RATING:
# # # # #

WORDED RATING:
Fantastic playalongs, clean layout, helpful introductory texts and exercises

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Jazz Drummers from beginner to professional

PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson

DESCRIPTION:
The CD contains 11 increasingly faster songs from 100 bpm (Blues) to above 300 bpm (Giant Steps) played by a small combo. The songs are all 12 bar blues or famous 32 bar standards. Most songs have you playing Fours towards the end, solo ideas are notated. For each song you get a leadsheet with melody and chords but also a short drum sheet and some proposed key figures written out. Before each new tune, some advice is given. The first few pages of the book contain some comping exercises and brush and ride cymbal patterns. This book can be used by players of pretty much all levels because it starts like Art of Bop (comping and fills). If you try to work on the written solos, you can learn some Philly Joe Jones-esque ideas. The first song is already quite challenging on the solo part and there is no click. Also the songs are played in a rather realistic manner - the time of the other musicians is not static, so you really need to listen. There are only drum-less tracks on the CD but no other short-comings. A very well-rounded package!

VIDEOS:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ71M2ZHIlY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fEoFNPGIzw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ej3ZbDpeac (unofficial video of the first song by someone on YT, solo differs from the notated one)

https://www.amazon.com/Turn-Up-Lay-...696&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+steps+to+giant+steps

-----------------------

Terry O'Mahoney

STAR RATING:
# # # # #

WORDED RATING:
Also fantastic playalongs and clean layout - takes you through typical Swing/Broken Swing tunes with switches to different Latin styles

TARGET AUDIENCE:
Jazz Drummers from intermediate to professional

PUBLISHED BY:
Hal Leonard

DESCRIPTION:
The book comes with 3 CDs and is divided into 3 chapters. Some grooves are given for the Latin styles but you need to intrepet the charts and mostly come up with your own grooves, fills and kicks.
Chapter 1: playalongs of 16 bars Swing, 16 bars other style (Bossa Nova, 6/8, Songo,...) to practice switching the groove
Chapter 2: longer playalongs of a small combo with lead sheets, e.g. 16 bars melody with Swing, 16 bars piano solo swing, 16 bars piano solo Latin, bass solo...
Chapter 3: big band charts (several pages long) to work on different styles, set-ups and so on - also some solo spots for the drums are provided (sometimes with vamps playing through those parts)
This book is probably not so much for absolute jazz beginners because you need some basic ideas about comping and section/ensemble figures. No exercises on these topics but the CDs also come with drums on the tracks which might help getting started.

VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNM-ooqTGfE

https://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Drummin...800&sr=1-1&keywords=jazz+drumming+transitions

I have to give a shout out to one of my favorite drummers and his first book a year or two ago:

"A World of Rhythmic Possibilities" . Dafnis Prieto

Also if you liked "West African Rhythms for Drumset" by Royal Hartigan, then the next logical step would be finding a copy of:

"West African Eve for Drumset" . Royal Hartigan

At 360 pages there is lots of filler, but even more great content that I haven't found anywhere else.

@Andy How about making this thread a sticky - it's that great! :)

Kiko Freitas - The Brazilian Groove Book

STAR RATING:
# # # # #

WORDED RATING:
2 hours of videos, 3 playalong songs, brushes, odd meters and lots of good text on musiciality and history between the exercises by one of the best drummers in the world for $20? Get it! :)

TARGET AUDIENCE:
advanced drummers, anybody who wants to learn about Samba, Bossa and Brazilian music

PUBLISHED BY:
Hudson

VIDEO:

Hello Jason,
Thanks for sharing this precious information about headings and rating systems for review on DVD or books with us.

"Great thread!"

Agree with you, I found it very helpful information here not only for educational purposes but also for my research. Because of my work; I provide free essays on about myself topics for musicians on https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/about-myself/, and I had to deal with specific details on stories that I don't know much about. So the educational materials like drum instruction give clear and detailed content that helps me to write based on solid experience of particular field professionals.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Electronic Drum 400 Compact

Last edited:
Back