My ever-growing Ludwig classic maple kit

Damn Roger, your drums drip of pure class! The mini classics would have been so cool on that snare. There's a couple pics of my snare with the mini classic lugs in this thread.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48355

Todd, the owner of Ontario Music and former artists rep for Ludwig, told me last week that Conn-Selmer has a new president and that he mandated studies to cut costs without cutting jobs...sounds good. Since the mini-classic lugs take twice as long as the Classics (2 vs 4 holes) to install and aren't a very popular option, they decided to drop them on snares. Why they just don't charge more, like they did to put the tube lugs on the LS401, I'll never know.

Your snare is georgeous....and just the way I wanted mine!

Don't get me wrong...I like mine, alot, alot, alot.

Todd, the owner of Ontario Music and former artists rep for Ludwig, told me last week that Conn-Selmer has a new president and that he mandated studies to cut costs without cutting jobs...sounds good. Since the mini-classic lugs take twice as long as the Classics (2 vs 4 holes) to install and aren't a very popular option, they decided to drop them on snares. Why they just don't charge more, like they did to put the tube lugs on the LS401, I'll never know.

Your snare is georgeous....and just the way I wanted mine!

Don't get me wrong...I like mine, alot, alot, alot.

Like you said, it would have been a cool option, but that snare still looks awesome!

Well, its funny how life turns out sometimes. I ordered a new 20" kick drum to augment the rest of the ever-growing kit, and its been nine weeks tomorrow since I ordered it. Pictures of all the new stuff will follow. HOWEVER,

On another unmentioned forum, one of Ludwig's representatives has surfaced and is answering questions, dealing with rumors, and generally being a good citizen. I told him my story about the Classic vs. Mini-Classic lugs on the LS403 snare and he tells me there must be a misunderstanding?! He tells me that they are still installing mini-classic lugs as a no-additional-cost option. In fact, he just ordered a Ludwig CM kit for himself with an LS403 snare and mini-classic lugs.

I sent the email to Ontario Music (where I've been ordering all the Ludwig stuff displayed on this thread, and within five minutes they offered to order a new drum for me...just like the one I originally wanted....and they'll swap it out for the one I've been playing for six months. These guys, especially Todd Trent and Gil Cante, are really first class folks and I'm really glad that I order my stuff through them. I can't imagine the hoops that Guitar Center would make be jump through to get them to replace the snare.

Sometimes persistence pays off. Now I want to get them to sell memory locks for their top of the line hardware...they have them, they just don't sell them. More about that later

So, pictures when it arrives in a month or two.

Last edited:
What kind of heads are you using on those? They're beautiful and I'm sure they sound fantastic.

The batterheads on the toms and snares are Remo Vintage A's and the reso heads are Ludwig clear mediums on the toms. A ludwig snare side on the snare. I use an Evans Emad2 batter and a Remo Fiberskyn3/Powerstroke3 reso on the kick when I'm playing with an acoustic group and a Ludwig clear Powercollar batter with a Ludwig smooth white Vintage head on the reso side (w.4" port and a felt strip) when I'm electric.

I am looking to substitue the newer Ludwig smooth white Vintage with power collar on the reso side for the electric set-up so I don't have to use the felt...or maybe even the port.

The batterheads on the toms and snares are Remo Vintage A's and the reso heads are Ludwig clear mediums on the toms. A ludwig snare side on the snare. I use an Evans Emad2 batter and a Remo Fiberskyn3/Powerstroke3 reso on the kick when I'm playing with an acoustic group and a Ludwig clear Powercollar batter with a Ludwig smooth white Vintage head on the reso side (w.4" port and a felt strip) when I'm electric.

I am looking to substitue the newer Ludwig smooth white Vintage with power collar on the reso side for the electric set-up so I don't have to use the felt...or maybe even the port.

Are you finding any QC issues with the Vintage A's? I was intrigued by the idea of it but I wasn't sure how they sounded.

Also, what type of hardware do you use for your floor tom legs and tom mount? I'm on the fence about the Elite tom hardware or the standard Ludwig LC5023TL stuff. Trying to find the option that looks the most basic (probably vintage).

Are you finding any QC issues with the Vintage A's? I was intrigued by the idea of it but I wasn't sure how they sounded.

Also, what type of hardware do you use for your floor tom legs and tom mount? I'm on the fence about the Elite tom hardware or the standard Ludwig LC5023TL stuff. Trying to find the option that looks the most basic (probably vintage).

I haven't had any problems with the Vintage A's. The drums came with Ludwig medium coated heads, which I think are kind of like Ambassadors, and I used those for a while. By comparison, the Vintage A's are just slightly muffled, and I mean very slightly, but enough to take any annoying ring of really high frequency from the toms. I use Evans E-rings on the toms when I play accoustic and they muffle the sound quite well. When playing electric I play them wide open.

I ordered the elite leg brackets and the elite tom mount with vibrabands. I like the look...check it out in the photos of the original post, and there are more on my page here at DW. the Elite 10.5 mm tom mount looks remarkably similar to the Classic 9.5 mm. The double tom mount does not.

I like the Elite hardware because I think they are better designed and more secure than the Classic 9.5 mm leg brackets and tom mounts. And I have the curved spur on the 22" kick, but I am waiting for a 20" that I ordered and it had to come with the Elite spurs...only drums 22" and larger can get the heavy duty curved spurs.

Hey man ... nice kit, i have a ludwig cs custom elite power ... bytheway where are made from urs? mine are from china so i just wondering...

Hey man ... nice kit, i have a ludwig cs custom elite power ... bytheway where are made from urs? mine are from china so i just wondering...

Hecho en los estados unidos amigo. Yo he estado trabajando en la costa norte, en Pacasmayo, hace doce anos. Soy arqueologo y mi especialidad es Chimu y Lambayeque. Tengo muchos amigos a PUCP tambien.

Where in Lima do you live..I have friends in Mira Flores, Surco, Pueblo Libre, and near the INC Museum.

Your kit sounds very nice kit...post some pictures.

abrazos,

I sent the email to Ontario Music (where I've been ordering all the Ludwig stuff displayed on this thread, and within five minutes they offered to order a new drum for me...just like the one I originally wanted....and they'll swap it out for the one I've been playing for six months. These guys, especially Todd Trent and Gil Cante, are really first class folks and I'm really glad that I order my stuff through them.

This is great news Roger! Todd Trent is definitely the man. Can't wait to see the pics.

Well, the new snare, kick drum, and 800 series hardware arrived Thursday. When I went to pick them up I just had to order a new brass Supraphonic, hammered, tube lugs, millenium strainer. I'll post pics when it arrives. Meanwhile, I now have two four piece kits or one 7-piece...I set it up as the 7-piece just to see what it looks like. I either play a 4-piece or the five-piece way down in post #1

The new 6.5 x 14 maple snare is a killer, and the 14 x 20 kick is like a cannon; I love it with the heads it has on it. I only had to add a felt strip.

The 100 year anniversary badge is great looking IMO.

Enjoy

Attachments

• New Ludwig LS403 side view.jpg
    New Ludwig LS403 side view.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2,874
  • New Ludwig LS402 other side.jpg
    New Ludwig LS402 other side.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 2,692
  • Two four piece kits.jpg
    Two four piece kits.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 3,028
  • 7-piece kit.jpg
    7-piece kit.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 2,734
  • 7-piece kit from behind.jpg
    7-piece kit from behind.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 2,658
Hello...My 1st post on Drummerworld...Currently, I'm using a Gretsch Slate Silver Sparkle Renown Maple Kit:

- 20x22 Kick 9x12 Rack (In snare stand) 16x16 Floor 6.5x14 Matching Snare

- DW 5000 Pedal Gibraltar 600 Series Hi-Hat & Stands

- 17" Sabian B8 (Bottom) 17" Zildjian ZBT (Top) Hi-Hat combination

- 20" Zidjian ZBT Ride 20" Meinl Heavy Ride w/ Chain for sizzle 18" Paiste Alpha Crash

- Remo Fibreskyn Snare Evans G Plus on Toms Evans EMAD Kick (Batters)

Kit sounds great...All of these drums have excellent tone...I am in process of ordering a Ludwig Classic Maple Kit - Power 4 configuration with 1 add on:

18x24 Kick 11x13 Rack 16x16 Floor 8x14 Matching Snare 14x14 Floor (Add on)

I'm asking for a 16x26 kick instead...Do you know if this is a problem for them ? Not terrible big deal if I can't swap kicks but I would like 16x26...Going to go with Vintage Black Oyster Pearl wrap...Any comments on these drums, wrap ? Cymbals...I'd like to outfit with Constaninipole (Whatever) for most part or Paiste 2002...Anyone interested in trades for Z or Paiste cymbals for Gretsch Kit and/or Cymbals I've listed plus others ? (Dano & Fender Squire guitars, Congas as well)...Lots to talk about...Lots of questions for fellow Drummers...Thanks and Peace Ya'll...RS...

WOW! That is a gorgeous kit/kits.

I was looking over my Ludwig catalog over the weekend and have been thinking about getting a Ringo kit. We had one in arctic glitter finish some time ago and it was simply beautiful.

Hey Roger,
The new additions look fantastic! I really love the color and sizes of this kit. You should be able to cover any gig with these drums. So, what's next? ;-)

Hey, were you the guy selling the green Blaemire Fiberglass tee shirts last weekend at the Hollywood Drum Show?

Anyway, here is the latest addition, a LB442KTWM , now I have a maple and a metal snare for each four piece kit.....its all about having choices. I've since swaped the die cast hoops from the Classic Maple for the triple flanged on the 442 and I like 'em both a lot better.

Cheers....

Attachments

• lb442 throw off side.jpg
    lb442 throw off side.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 2,315
  • lb442 with logo.jpg
    lb442 with logo.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,357
Last edited:
Hey, were you the guy selling the green Blaemire Fiberglass tee shirts last weekend at the Hollywood Drum Show?

Anyway, here is the latest addition, a LB442KTWM , now I have a maple and a metal snare for each four piece kit.....its all about having choices. I've since swaped the die cast hoops from the Classic Maple for the triple flanged on the 442 and I like 'em both a lot better.

Cheers....

That was Jerry (Drumjinx), but I was helping him at the booth. BTW, that's a great drum you picked up.

Neat!

For the Ludwig addicts (like myself), it's handy to see all of the specs! What heads are you using on the toms? Vintage A's over ?

How do you like the throne?

Thanks again for the pics! This thread is always handy when I need a "fix". :)

-Ryan

Back