Parents Broke My Nickelworks Strainer :(

I like the low mass of the Nickel, its relatively low profile and its very durable polycarbonate handle. You'd have to really crank on it to break it. So far, it's worked great for me - very smooth action. I have seen too many snares with bent metal throw offs because people didn't know how to move them. I imagine the Trick can't be bent so good for those who have the Trick.

I can't justify the low-mass/ .05 cents in plastic for the cost. Polycarbonate is plastic by any other name. They make more durable lightweight materials like titanium and magnesium that won't snap like a toungue depresser.

Really crank on it to break it...or tap it against something solid and it snaps, especially if it's cold.

The questions I ask and answer:
1. Does this cheaply built throw justify it's cost based on parts. A. No, not even close
2. Does this brittle, fragile, low mass throw work better than other throws? A. No, save for the cheapest throws
3. Does this plastic handled, low mass throw make a snare drums sound better in any way than other throws: A: NO, absoloutely not. recordings of other snares stand as proof.
4. Do other throws like the Trick and Dunnett have more durable parts and better features for the same money? A. Yes, like intermediate stops and metal parts.
5. Does the low mass of the nickle in itself provide any advantage? A. No, it's psychological. There is no advantage to the sound, and saving a few grams weight is irrelevent, especially if the snare already weighs 25 lbs.

No sale.

Last edited:
I can't justify the low-mass/ .05 cents in plastic for the cost. Polycarbonate is plastic by any other name. They make more durable lightweight materials like titanium and magnesium that won't snap like a toungue depresser.

Really crank on it to break it...or tap it against something solid and it snaps, especially if it's cold.

The questions I ask and answer:
1. Does this cheaply built throw justify it's cost based on parts. A. No, not even close
2. Does this brittle, fragile, low mass throw work better than other throws? A. No, save for the cheapest throws
3. Does this plastic handled, low mass throw make a snare drums sound better in any way than other throws: A: NO, absoloutely not. recordings of other snares stand as proof.
4. Do other throws like the Trick and Dunnett have more durable parts and better features for the same money? A. Yes, like intermediate stops and metal parts.
5. Does the low mass of the nickle in itself provide any advantage? A. No, it's psychological. There is no advantage to the sound, and saving a few grams weight is irrelevent, especially if the snare already weighs 25 lbs.

No sale.

Wow.

Sounds like you definitely, most assuredly and absolutely should not go anywhere near a Nickel. Mine was on my snare when I got it and I have nothing but good things to say about the Nickel.

Wow.

Sounds like you definitely, most assuredly and absolutely should not go anywhere near a Nickel. Mine was on my snare when I got it and I have nothing but good things to say about the Nickel.

They work, granted. Better? No...

I built two snares (one for myself, and one for a friend) and both nickle strainers ended up getting broken where another throw would have shrugged off the issue.

Plastic (especially thin parts) has no business being in certain things. My snare drums, and hand tools are two of them.

If someone tried to sell me a polycarbonate claw hammer or saw blade on the premise that they were low mass and decorative, I'd have to laugh...hard.

You are right, I'll never go anywhere near a Nickle strainer again. If I end up buying a snare with one on it, I'll swap it out immediately.

I simply cannot reconcile the construction/price of that throw. It's not my bag.

Or if you're not a huge fan of the Trick action but still realize that plastic is probably not the best material for a snare strainer, go for the Dunnett R-Class strainer. It's cheaper and better than the Nickel strainer.

The Dunnett's are a fantastic looking strainer, however have a tendency to slip; something caused by the design of the mechanism.

The Trick, in my opinion, is the holy grail of strainers. Second to the trick would be this bad boy, the RCK...
3476_2.jpg

It's a bit cheaper to; $37 for the chrome and $44 for black chrome compared to the Trick's $69 price tag.

...and after that I'd take one of the newer Nickels and then the Dunnett

The Dunnett's are a fantastic looking strainer, however have a tendency to slip; something caused by the design of the mechanism.

The Trick, in my opinion, is the holy grail of strainers. Second to the trick would be this bad boy, the RCK...
3476_2.jpg

It's a bit cheaper to; $37 for the chrome and $44 for black chrome compared to the Trick's $69 price tag.

...and after that I'd take one of the newer Nickels and then the Dunnett

Now THAT is what I am talking about! Solid, simple throw (RCK) at a nice price! Nothing flimsy or etherial, just a solidly built component that works and looks great!

Note: I don't want to seem testy or harsh toward DMC if he takes it that way. I had a couple very bad experiances with the nickel (mine was broken in a similar manner as this thread states...someone else moved it) and it's nothing personal. My environment here isn't exactly conducive to the love of plastic parts. The nickle is just a throw that I personally don't like and can't recommend over other throws. Nothing more.

Back