John Favicchia here

John...was great to see you!! Wish I wasn't being pulled 15 different directions through out the weekend though. Would have liked to hang a bit more.

I'll shout at you this week. Hope you made it home safe!!!!

Cheers.
D.

John
I checked out your elements and understand what they are, but am not sure how you suggest implimenting them. Any chance for a little clarity for some with dense skulls?

John
I checked out your elements and understand what they are, but am not sure how you suggest implimenting them. Any chance for a little clarity for some with dense skulls?

Elements is a way of connecting your thoughts with Technique. So I take the student through around 25 ways on each of the Elements. The 2nd example on the sheet that is posted here is playing low stroke 16th notes and then accenting each element as a full stroke. Once this feels locked in then move it onto the drums and start to voice the accents around the kit.

There is many ways of doing all these exercises. I hope with this small explaination it will help you to get started...

JF

'1 bar fill with each element voiced around the drum set'

Thanks for the reply John.

Question 1... is the 'fill' composed of 16ths with the elements then accented? That's how I tried them and doing it that way will help me.

2. Because the elements use both r and l hands, why is there the left hand exercise (do you mean to reverse the 1 to the left hand instead of rt?)

3. The bd exercise I don't get. Are we playing the elements with the bd? If so, what about the hands?

Thanks John, I'm gong to work these over as I see them until you clarify my confusion.

GOT IT! duh
I just spent over an hour on the elements and they are really fun. Thanks for posting these. I'll work em' as part of my daily practice from now on. Ths is what I needed to help tighten up the e + a accents, and I didn't have an exercise source. Now I'll take them from the pad to the drums. Very cool! I'm still confused on the bd exercise though.

GOT IT! duh
I just spent over an hour on the elements and they are really fun. Thanks for posting these. I'll work em' as part of my daily practice from now on. Ths is what I needed to help tighten up the e + a accents, and I didn't have an exercise source. Now I'll take them from the pad to the drums. Very cool! I'm still confused on the bd exercise though.

The 1st of many BD exercises with the elements is simple. Set up a groove and play each element on the BD. For example 1/8 note Ride, 2+4 on SD, left foot HH 1/4 notes. Now play each element with the right foot on the BD!

Make sense??

'Make sense?? '

Yep! Yesterday I played 16ths on double pedals while accenting the elements. I can see that within a short time using the elements will improve greatly my bass speed and control, not to mention the hands. And, not only playing straight time with the hands as you suggest, but I imagine playing more complex rudiments around the set while playing the elements with the feet will also help with independant coordination. As basic as it is, of the zillions of exercizes and patterns I've read on the forum, this, for me, is by far the best. Thanks for the post.

Back