heads for maple kit?

lovemysonors

which heads would you recommend for indie rock on a Premier maple kit (reinforcement rings on toms if that matters)? it's an older kit, probably from late 70s/early 80s...

For indie rock, I pesonally like the sound of coated Remo Emperor batters over clear Ambassador resonants. Concerning the bass drum, I usually use Aquarian's Superkick II on the batter with a Remo Fiberskyn FA (fiberskyn-ambassador) on the front. I have played indie rock in the past with this combo and loved the sound. Like Budiesel said, I'm not sure what sound you are looking for......I'm just giving you what head combination I prefer for this type of music.

Last edited:
do you have a personal preference on brand?

if there is a local guitar center or sam ash, go there and check out some heads on the kits they have set up inside. or you could go to some local shows and listen to how their drummers drums sound and see if you like it, since it is your kit

but if youre asking for my opinion, i use clear evans g2's / g1's and an eq3 on my kick, and i am very satisfied

btw.. im curious, which indie bands are you listening to?

EC1 clears give you warm, deep, punchy, and resonant. Try one.

do you have a personal preference on brand?

if there is a local guitar center or sam ash, go there and check out some heads on the kits they have set up inside. or you could go to some local shows and listen to how their drummers drums sound and see if you like it, since it is your kit

but if youre asking for my opinion, i use clear evans g2's / g1's and an eq3 on my kick, and i am very satisfied

btw.. im curious, which indie bands are you listening to?
yeah, i'm thinking i could do well with clear G2s over G1s, with the EQ3 as well. i'm using the EQ3 on my other kit and like it so why change, right?
i'm listening to Deerhoof, Blonde Redhead, The Little Ones, Snowden, among others

Be sure to let us know what you decide to go with, and tell us what you think of them!
will do, will get new heads today and try 'em out sunday
i played my kit for the first time (with really old heads on it) and was surprised how cutting and bright it was compared to my beechwood kit...more noticeable than expected, but i'm actually liking it more than my beech kit!
so i put a Powerstroke 3 on the kick and it's a ton warmer than the single ply Weatherking Bass Drum head (that thing was like a simple sheet of plastic from being so old). it sounds as warm as my beechwood kick.

i put a coated Emporeror on the rack tom and i wish i chose clear instead. it's warmer for sure than the clear Pinstripe that was on it before and sounds pretty solid.

all in all, i chose Remo because of saving money, but i noticed after 2 hrs. jamming that the tom head is already wearing away, which hasn't really happened that quickly with Evans coated, in my experience anyway... next time, clear and Evans;)

Last edited:
Be sure to let us know what you decide to go with, and tell us what you think of them!
i put a Powerstroke 3 on the kick and it changed the punch to a very warm one from a plastic, cutting one. before i put the new head on it, it had a 20 yr old Remo Weatherking Bass Drum head, single ply sheet of plastic by the time i got this kit (this is why it was so cutting, but aside from being an old, crappy head, it had a presence that was lost with the PS3).

i put a coated Emperor on the rack tom (i don't have a matching floor tom so i'm using my beechwood kit's) and it sounds full, warm, just like i believe it should. the older head, a Pinstripe, really cut the sustain, so the coated Emperor allows a bit more, which i like.

Last edited:
Back