Show us your '2 rack toms to the left of the bass' kits!

already posted a link a while ago but here are the pictures.

Attachments

• Driverseat 6 december 2008 smaller.JPG
    Driverseat 6 december 2008 smaller.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 4,844
  • overview 6 december 2008 smaller.JPG
    overview 6 december 2008 smaller.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 4,746
When I bought a rack years ago, I loved being able to shift the toms even an inch or two to the left, so you can see THIS:
343918.jpg
2045086.jpg

Then, I started playing a lot with a four piece kit, and really loved being able to pull the ride in close. When I bought my new-ish GMS kit, I tried going whole hog, and ended up loving it:
2080185.jpg
2149346.jpg

(Hmm... I need some newer pics since I changed heads...)

I love the interaction between the two rack toms and the snare. Makes for a lot of combinations that I wouldn't have thought of with a standard 5 piece setup. The only downside is that it forces my hi hat to be a little too far back. The solution is a compromise- slide the toms forward a bit, and my hats are still a little farther back than I'd prefer... but the advantages far outweigh the compromises.

For what it's worth, I don't double bass, and I like my hats as close as possible.

When I bought a rack years ago, I loved being able to shift the toms even an inch or two to the left, so you can see THIS:
[(Hmm... I need some newer pics since I changed heads...)

I love the interaction between the two rack toms and the snare. Makes for a lot of combinations that I wouldn't have thought of with a standard 5 piece setup. The only downside is that it forces my hi hat to be a little too far back. The solution is a compromise- slide the toms forward a bit, and my hats are still a little farther back than I'd prefer... but the advantages far outweigh the compromises.

For what it's worth, I don't double bass, and I like my hats as close as possible.

The photos seem to depict a slow migration over time of the toms to the left...

The photos seem to depict a slow migration over time of the toms to the left...

Yes, I've noticed that, too. I'm working on getting a research grant to study this phenomenon.

I think my trouble is that I just can't picture how to set it up.

I'll try to explain my problem with this image.

The problem lies with how to set up the two rack toms. I'd like to have the crash as it is shown here, but to also have the two splash cymbals either side. What would be the best way to this?

Ideally I wanted to get a double tom stand for the toms but would there be room for a stand for the crash?

I suppose I could mount the crash on the double tom stand, but what about the splash cymbals? If I mounted the toms, crash and both the splashes on the one stand it would be too much weight wouldn't it?

I'm not entirely opposed to getting a rack but i'd rather not if I can help it.

I can't really tell what you've all done with yours :s

Thanks

Adam

Attachments

• kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 4,467

The problem lies with how to set up the two rack toms. I'd like to have the crash as it is shown here, but to also have the two splash cymbals either side. What would be the best way to this?

Ideally I wanted to get a double tom stand for the toms but would there be room for a stand for the crash?

I suppose I could mount the crash on the double tom stand, but what about the splash cymbals? If I mounted the toms, crash and both the splashes on the one stand it would be too much weight wouldn't it?

Thanks

Adam

I've got a heavy duty DW double tom stand that also has an integrated clamp for a cymbal arm. I see no reason why a double tom stand like that couldn't handle a small crash and two splashes.

A second option would be to use two cymbal stands. Mount one tom and one splash to one stand, then the other tom, second splash, and crash to the other. Floor space might be an issue, though...

I've never seen a cymbal stand FAIL from weight. What they do is FALL. :)

EDIT: One more option that I think might work wonders for you- grab a couple of LP claws and mount your splashes to the rims of your toms. Perfect positioning (at least from your picture), inexpensive clamps, and lightweight, to boot.

...I knew I had a few somewhere.

My old Canwoods, and the deedubs that replaced them.

Barry

Thanks

Adam

Nah cymbal stands can take a lot of weight. What's important though is that you make sure that it's all balanced properley so it doesn't fall over, usually sticking one leg out toward the drum throne, underneath the 2 toms helps enormously.

i have been tinkering with this setup for years, i will never go back to the toms over the kick.
Picture013.jpg

I think what i'm going to do is to use a heavy duty cymbal stand and mount the toms from that with a double tom holder.

Could most probably mount the splashes from that as well like some have said. If all fails I could mount one tom, Crash and one splash on one stand. And then the other tom and the second splash on another stand.

I'm sure i'll figure it out!

Anymore pictures anyone?

Adam

glad to see the orion splash hasn't cracked yet.

Why? Have you had Orioncymbals that cracked after playing them for just a short while? 'Cause I've just bought it 2 days ago and I really like the sound. A guy I know has cracked almost every cymbal brand he has played: Zildjian, Sabian and Meinl after only a few months and he plays a lot harder then I do, so I think I shouldn't be worried, should I?

My latest setup, I was using an 8" and 10" racks, but the 8" lacks in tone so I put on my 10" and 12". I also love how there isnt a massive gap between the 12" tom and my floor tom, its a really comfortable setup. I know, my kit and my cymbals need dusting.

Attachments

• 20.01.09 kit update 001.JPG
    20.01.09 kit update 001.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 4,588
  • 20.01.09 kit update 003.JPG
    20.01.09 kit update 003.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 4,543
  • 20.01.09 kit update 004.JPG
    20.01.09 kit update 004.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 4,555
  • 20.01.09 kit update 005.JPG
    20.01.09 kit update 005.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 4,516
Why? Have you had Orioncymbals that cracked after playing them for just a short while? 'Cause I've just bought it 2 days ago and I really like the sound. A guy I know has cracked almost every cymbal brand he has played: Zildjian, Sabian and Meinl after only a few months and he plays a lot harder then I do, so I think I shouldn't be worried, should I?

Well yeah i guess i do play pretty hard but my orion hats are seriously cracked now, i actually took a huge chunk out of them just so my sticks wouldn't get chewed up in the crack and the thing bent by hand. Compare that to a zildjian ZBT which did crack very badly but i needed a set of shears to cut through it.

Back