My horrible Ludwig experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also a bit embarrassing for me as an artist who helps toot their horn. My reputation and judgement for choosing Ludwig also comes into question when these things occur.

Bermuda
Not a bit of it Jon. You choose Ludwig because you like them. You're not their QA department, but I'm not surprised that a man of your integrity feels a little bit of discomfort by association. It happens, but it's what happens next that defines the company, & indeed, the dealer.

Hey Chris,

I know how bad you've been wanting this snare and I feel so bad that you're not happy with it. As much as you can live with a few things about it, you really need to return it. This is totally unacceptable, especially with it being their flagship line of drums.

Don't settle. Send it back. If what I've seen of Ludwig lately is any indicator, things are changing and you will get a better instrument in return. I wouldn't even consider living with the quality you describe.

Critter, I'll echo the others............I'd return it ASAP

I'm sure Ludwig would not want to develop a rep for shoddy workmanship, especially on their "top of the line" snare

I would expect better from their lower lines

Good Luck

Rick - gotta say, that's possibly the worst drum photo composition I've ever seen. The colour palate clash between drum wrap & carpet is bad enough, but then the bare feet! ;) ;) ;)

I know, I know was in a hurry to take the picture with my iPad so that I could reply to the OP.

Re: My horrible Ludwig experience..

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I'd heard that Ludwig was doing better on quality control. I had similar problems on a new Keystone kit I purchased a couple years back. The snare also had a crooked butt plate and I experienced the same thing with head tunings--some tension rods tightened down with others not even finger tight. Those were minor compared to other probs. I was glad to find a buyer for that kit and will never consider purchasing a Ludwig product given my experience. Such a shame given the company's storied legacy (pun intended).

It's a shame because it's a really nice looking snare, I love the colour, those lugs and if it were up to me I think the blue/olive badge is nice against white.

And you really like the sound... You could give them one more chance to send you a perfect example but you have every right to be a bit anti-ludwig now.

Even better again, go get a nice snare off Bill if you're just down the road :)

This is 100% what I would do. Similarly, I had Precision Drum craft a 10" to match my 3ply 1966 Ludwig kit. This drum is perfectly built. I bought Ludwig hardware on eBay, sent them 1 lug and my measurements and they drilled flawlessly. The wrap is done fully glued and right to the edges. Its not rocket science.

I would get my money back. Bill at Pork Pie might be willing to do something similar, use Ludwig hardware and build you an exact copy. White wrap is easy to come by. He will make sure you get a perfect drum!

Attachments

• lud 10.jpg
    lud 10.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 919
  • lud 10a.jpg
    lud 10a.jpg
    277 KB · Views: 923
Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I own a 2009 100th. anniversary badge Legacy Classic snare and mine has no issues to speak of whatsoever. The wrap on my snare goes right flush to the bearing edge and is not cut short like yours.

That's a beauty. My school has a 100th Anniversay Legacy Classic-whatchamacallit set with a finish that looks sorta like that. They're amazing.

I am sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. I would have to say...

Take that Jive Turkey back to the funny farm!

No need to pay good money for a hack job. In some ways it is just a sloppy third-rate attempt to fill an order. But, at some level, I would begin to take personal offense to someone trying to pass off this hack job as a something to be paid for, and worse, a special order of a high-end snare.

I would take it back to the store right away and politely explain why you need your money back and that they can give you a call when they have the snare that you ordered. And I would politely ask what they can do to make the situation right. Be polite, but firm in your expectations.

I would agree with others here saying to take it back to where you purchased it. Let them own part of the problem. But document who you talk to, and what they say, and when they say they can get the real drum you ordered back to you.

I would also send a run-down of the situation to Ludwig with pics. Tell them that you and your on-line drum community are interested in seeing how this plays out. I would explain that I know that mistakes happen, but the true measure of a company is how it corrects those mistakes and learns from it.

Good luck brother!

Keep us posted.

Its stories like this and the one I had with my Brick snare de-laminating just after a few months, I know its a cheap China made but they still put their name on it, I will stick with what Ludwig does best. Their steel snares, Your not ordering a pizza here, try and get it right.
Sorry for your trouble you are having.

Unacceptable.
What probably happened is, someone found out about the screw up on the order, and the time, and they "rushed one out".

I've stated before that this hasn't been my experience with Ludwig quality, but NO WAY would I accept something like this. Lugs being drilled in off positions? A crooked butt plate? Bad edges on a LEGACY FLAGSHIP DRUM someone is paying $600 for (list price must be way higher)?
The badge being wrong on the order is the icing on the cake too. They should have had an order pick ticket with all the info on it with the shell having their SKU numbers on it.

My old Black Cortex 3ply bass drum has the wrap to the edge. I don't know what their policy on cutting back wrap is, but Cortex and the Glass finishes are thicker, so they may just be playing it safe by knocking it back these days.

When I had my older Ludwig shells re-wrapped with Black Glass Glitter, it is cut back because it's a lot thicker. Ludwig did not do my re-wrap though.

Is this drums finish Cortex, or just White wrap?

I would send a message to Ludwig about this.
I'd even send Kevin Packard a FB message about this experience. This is the kind of thing they don't want, and they need to know. Guy's like him are the face of Ludwig out there now, and when I have talked and corresponded with him, he seemed pretty dang sincere about the company wanting GREAT stuff out there, and NOT having things like this "slip through the cracks".

This situation blows, and I am sorry to hear about it.

Honestly, I don't know about how the wrap sits, some companies do that routinely and I've stopped noticing one way or the other. But edges not true? Return it to the store for a refund, period. Let them feel some of the problem, and I guarantee that they'll have more of an impact on Ludwig than your giving everyone another chance to make it right.

These kind of drums certainly aren't the norm, although they shouldn't happen at all. There's been some real QC progress in Monroe over the last 2 years in particular, and it's hard to imagine that a drum with uneven edges could slip through.

It's also a bit embarrassing for me as an artist who helps toot their horn. My reputation and judgement for choosing Ludwig also comes into question when these things occur.

Bermuda
I've decided I'm going to return it. But the shop where I bought it has just gone out of business. I was wanting to keep them out of it, because they've got enough to deal with already, without me adding to their pain. But I realize I will have to get them involved and see how they want to deal with it.

I would assume that this snare isn't the norm, and yeah, how did this one slip through? But my whole experience with Ludwig so far has really tarnished their reputation for me. Obviously the way this ends up, how Ludwig deals with my problem, will either win back my loyalty, or totally turn me against them.

I understand how it could be embarrassing for you, but you've never pushed Ludwig in any threads I've ever read. You play them because you like them. You're faithful to the brand because they've for the most part worked hard to earn it. It's not your reputation on the line, it's Ludwig's. I just hope someone there will have the integrity and pride in the brand to fix this for me. Then I too will feel good about supporting them again. Mistakes happen. It's what we do to fix our mistakes that really matters.

That's alot to be wrong with a drum, regardless of price. 9 months too. It's almost as if some PR person got sick of dealing with you and decided to give you the worst of everything - lugs off, bearing edge f&*^ed, wrap not complete.

I half suspect that's exactly what happened. That the call from the rep got someone fired up to fix it quick and dirty, just to get it shipped.

And yes, I do believe there are knock-off products being sold on the market. Eg, some of the SKB cases I see look less quality than what I own. The badge would be off or not look quite right, but you can't point a finger to it. Or the inside of the padding is unglued.
Steph

I know what you mean, but I'm sure this was authentic. Yet if that's the case, the conclusion is even worse: that producing inferior quality products has become the norm for so many companies, with America leading the way down the toilet.

I would fire it back with a demand for a new drum so fast it would make your head spin!

Damn right. Lots of replies to this thread, and not ONE of them advising that I keep the snare. Bright and early Monday I will be on the phone about this.

However, I never demand in a situation like this. I just dig in my heels, calmly and reasonably present the facts, keep repeating them over and over, and refuse to budge until I get what's right and fair. I beat Volkswagen of America twice, and if you've ever dealt with them you'll probably agree that they're the devil incarnate!

I am getting a good feeling about this, that Ludwig will take care of me.

I know what happened. Either of two things:

(a) The CEO of Ludwig, in an attempt to determine the effectiveness of Monroe's QC department, made this drum in his garage, dressed up in workman's clothes (not unlike those reality TV shows) and put this on the assembly line ready for shipment.

(b) This drum was part of a QC training program at Ludwig's Monroe facility and it accidentally got shipped

(b1) This drum was part of a QC training program at Ludwig's Monroe facility and, because of some reason or other (plant closing?), they decided to try to get rid of it along with their other inventory

(c) This drum is part of a Returns training program at Ludwig's Monroe facility, and it was intentionally shipped to you, hoping you would return it, so they can see how their returns department handles it

If any of this is true, then you, Criz P. Critter, very well may be in store for a brand new free drum, a visit to the CEO's mansion AND garage, AND a ride up Willy Wonka's magic elevator!!

The CEO is waiting for your call!!!

LOL

Just kidding there! Couldn't resist :)

Steph
Edit: In the case of (c), and YOU DON'T RETURN IT, then Monroe thinks they can MAKE ALL THEIR DRUMS THIS WAY!!!
Edit2: If none of this is true, you still may be able to publicize this event, call the CEO, and get him to do whatever you want, including a brand new free drum

Not a bit of it Jon. You choose Ludwig because you like them. You're not their QA department, but I'm not surprised that a man of your integrity feels a little bit of discomfort by association. It happens, but it's what happens next that defines the company, & indeed, the dealer.

Agreed! I'm an older guy--like Bermuda, and I assume you too KIS--and sadly I am coming to the conclusion that integrity is another thing that is, for the most part, disappearing from the world, just like quality and many other good things I was brought up to believe in. Or maybe it's just fallen out of fashion? I don't like that...

Hey Chris,

I know how bad you've been wanting this snare and I feel so bad that you're not happy with it. As much as you can live with a few things about it, you really need to return it. This is totally unacceptable, especially with it being their flagship line of drums.

Yep! I agree. Thanks, Greg.

I could conceivably still have a custom drum made, depending on how this turns out. I still have that piece of white cortex wrap you sold me!

Don't settle. Send it back. If what I've seen of Ludwig lately is any indicator, things are changing and you will get a better instrument in return.

But this snare should represent that change if it was just shipped 2 weeks ago, right? But I hope you're right, that I will get a real quality instrument at the end of this.

I would expect better from their lower lines
Yes, me too. That's why I felt so angry and sick and... dare I say it? USED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back