Slave pedal lag!!!

mylett

I have a Tama Speed Cobra and my slave pedal has been giving me extreme lag. Its only when I hook the slave pedal to the main pedal though. If I pull and let the slave beater go without the slave pedal connected it will keep moving for a while but when i connect the slave pedal the slave beater stops within a few seconds.

Can anyone help me figure this out or tell me if anyone has had this problem before and how they fixed it? I used WD-40 a while back and just recently read that was a very bad choice, anyone know how to fix my screw up? much appreciated

ya ive checked everything multiple times, I put some oil on the bearings today and its a little better. I think the bearings on the slave are just shit cause they stop early even when I take them off. Im just get new bearings at see if that helps

I don't think the slave beater ever "lasts" as long as the main beater as far as watching them go back and forth after pulling. There is some distance and therefore energy loss. It shouldn't matter, i don't think. All of my double pedals are like this....

There is a kind of scientific thread on the forum regarding slave pedal, the u-joints need to be mounted in the correct phasing, and both pedals need to be placed in an even angle.

ok thanks for the replies, Ill try the U joint mounting

Let me sum up for you what the article the poster above you is referring to. In short, in order to minimize lag, set the footboards and slave linkage up so that the universal joints are pretty much angled equally - that is, one isn't angled more than the other side. This means the joints aren't working against each other.

Your pedal linkage should look more like this:

images

Not like this:

41XPgTKO6UL.jpg

Let me sum up for you what the article the poster above you is referring to. In short, in order to minimize lag, set the footboards and slave linkage up so that the universal joints are pretty much angled equally - that is, one isn't angled more than the other side. This means the joints aren't working against each other.

Your pedal linkage should look more like this:

images

Not like this:

41XPgTKO6UL.jpg

thanks. awesome post.

You might wanna buy an additional spring assembly and attach it to the slave pedal. I have my axis double pedal set up like this and it seems to help a lot. A guy on the Tama and Pearl forums was able to do it with his regular Iron Cobras and his pearl elimiators. The speed cobra slave connection doesn't look too different from the regular ic's.

I would suggest either keeping both springs for the slaves or the additional one loose cause if not I noticed it makes the pedal too "springy".

Back