$100 drum mic kits

If you have $100 to spend on microphones, you can spend $30 on the books recommended to you.

any good free online articles?

There are tons of forums dealing with such topics. Think of them as "interactive articles".

There is also a good amount of know-how on this site. I think most of the people on this forum know that you need more than $100-200 worth of equipment to get the sound from your drums to your computer in a way that's reliable and actually sounds decent. I think you should budget for a good book on the topic, though, and the books recommended are standards that will probably take you farther than a brief skimming of a couple of free articles online.

what mic would u recommend for a one mic drum set up?

A large-diaphragm condenser. The cheapest one I would recommend would be something offered by Rode microphones. The have several models, including the NT1000, NT1, and NT1-A, which are VERY affordable for what they do, and they sound every bit as good as an AKG 414 (an $800 mic), but minus a couple of the bells and whistles offered on those higher-end models.

Also, another very important factor for recording is how your actual instrument sounds. If you're playing on a CB700 kit with 20+ year old Evans Hydraulic heads on them, you're never going to get a good drum sound (unless you're going for that 70s vibe, but even then...).

any good free online articles?

thanks

Dude, http://www.google.com or http://www.youtube.com

Type in recording, drum recording, microphone reviews, etc.

I know there are a lot of really good people in this forum who will go out of their way to help, but do you also want someone to come to your place, buy and bring microphones to you, tune your drums, setup the recording gear, and play it for you too?

It's 2011, you have the internet and an ability to search a lot of this stuff yourself first and when you run into an honest roadblock that you cannot understand or need further clarification, then come into the forums to ask. You've obviously done zero research yourself prior to asking this question other than screwing off on GC or MF websites (which are not informative, they are trying to sell you stuff).

STOP!

pick up a copy of Modern Recording Techniques. read it!

You need to understand the fundamentals

Back