Terry Bozzio

I just picked up the Bozzio/Wackerman "Solos & Duets" DVD and I gotta ask...

How does Bozzio mount his ride? It's just floating somewhere over on his right slightly behind him. Is it just connected to bungee cords or something?

Terry Bozzio is a master!!The great thing about teh man is hes a real,godhonest percussionist....yknow i used to think the term "percussionist" was nothing more than a drummer with a large ego...but i now realise that term is used for guys like Bozzio!!I mean its amazing the stuff he comes up with!

Every last thing he has done is totally awe inspiring!I absolutley love Zappa and all his work with Bozzio was beautiful!sheer bliss!

His drumkit is rockin too!!!

Re: The world's BIGGEST drumkit

It is truly insane. he has like 40 drums. He has such a different style because of its intense size. I love all the toms on the left. Piccolo toms?

ok my point was already made!!haha...read southpaws comment above!

I really do not get this guy and his style. I feel the same way about Virgil Denati. I do not get the drum to music connection.

I saw Terry in the reunion with missing persons about 6 years ago. He was impressive then. His solo stuff is pretty boring to me. But one man's garbage is another man's treasure. He is definitely super talented.

Tommy Lee, although not nearly as talented, has much more groove.

It is like comparing Eric Clapton to Yngwie Malmsteen. Many more people would rather listen to Eric Clapton jam than Yngwie. However, Yngwie has more talent technically in just his pinky than Eric has in his whole body.

its alll opinion obviously...

but i find that Terry Bozzio has some of the best grooves around...i mean hes so groovy!youve probably bin lookin at all his solos and his crazy fill things which are class...??but i mean listen to any Zappa record he played on and youll hear so much groove its unreal!

Bozzio is nothing short of a master...he,like the odd rare drummer,takes the instrument that is a drumkit and makes it a MUSICAL instrument....his kit sings when he plays....i mean the diatonics?the piccolos?it takes skill,and groove to play them without sounding tacky...which he does magnificintly!

I was fortunate enough to see Mr. Bozzio on the Gtr Shop tour, (probably the greatest double bill ever,Jeff Beck,Stevie Ray Vaughan). Incredible !!! About 5 yrs ago lucked out and saw him at PASIC in Nashville, w/Zappa alumni Chad Wackerman. They played the Black page as a duet !! Frank was smiling down on them,fer sure fer sure. Check out Bozzio and Sheehan, for some great TB grooves ! Also check Missing Persons - U.S. Drag for a crazy groove. Oh yeah, got TB to autograph Becks Gtr Shop when i was in Nashville, a prized possesion now !:eek:)

He folks

That song just popped in Itune while I'm at work, and I thought I'd post a small sample.

What an incredibly exciting drum track. Recorded when he was ... 23 years old.

Attachments

• Father O'Blivion_sample.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 740
shuffle said:
He folks

That song just popped in Itune while I'm at work, and I thought I'd post a small sample.

What an incredibly exciting drum track. Recorded when he was ... 23 years old.

That's not Terry... I believe it's Ralph Humphrey or possibly Chester Thompson on drums... right? That album was before Terry's time with Frank.

What is Wackerman doing on those clips? His drumistic drumming is getting in the way of Terry's Terryness all over the place. What a shame, good thing it looks like Terry is trying to ignore him.

On the other hand, for a guy with that many drums, Terry certainly isn't exploring all the tonal possibilities he has in front of him, but maybe that's because Chad is just wailing fusion licks all over it and it would be lost. Sometimes Terry is just too esoteric for his own good, I think.

Lastly, why do Terry's bass drums sound so unmusical and thumpy? I would've thought they would be nice, clean notes, no?

G

Ooooh you're right, it is not Bozzio...I've owned this record for what ... 25 years, and I don't know, why, but I allways tought it was him on that record... Sorry about that.

I've just looked up the credits here http://www.amarokprog.net/albums_5691.html (hope they are reliable...) and the drummers on apostrophe are jim gordon, john guerin, aynsley dunbar and ralph humphrey...

Has anyone caught the Zappa does Zappa tour? If so hows was TB? Did he have the monster kit? I bet he and SV stole the show

I'd really like to play some of my mallet exercises on his kit. ;)

I think the concept of playing melodic pieces on a drumset (no matter what the size) is a pretty cool concept, and I really like what I've seen of him, it's good stuff(I wish I could play it). But then again, the guy could just use some tympani. :|

I will be seeing TB in abou ta week with Zappa plays Zappa...lookin gforward to it I have not seen him in awhile. So far I've seen him in the following situations

1984 Missing Persons R&R tour
1986 Clinic at PASIC
1989 Jeff Beck
1994 Jeff Beck

This should be great. I've met him a couple times and he was always a nice person to talk with. And believe me that is impressive when you are a younger apsiring player....rather than dealing with someone who thinks they are a big shot.

jazzgregg said:
What is Wackerman doing on those clips? His drumistic drumming is getting in the way of Terry's Terryness all over the place. What a shame, good thing it looks like Terry is trying to ignore him.

On the other hand, for a guy with that many drums, Terry certainly isn't exploring all the tonal possibilities he has in front of him, but maybe that's because Chad is just wailing fusion licks all over it and it would be lost. Sometimes Terry is just too esoteric for his own good, I think.

Lastly, why do Terry's bass drums sound so unmusical and thumpy? I would've thought they would be nice, clean notes, no?

G

I don't know what you're talking about. If you can't hear the interplay and call and response going on there, I don't know what to tell you.

I thought that was stellar stuff and my opinion has triple-plated titanium armor, anti-anything missiles and a large loudspeaker that wails Mariah Carey high-notes at volume-level 11!
;)

Ian Ballard said:
I don't know what you're talking about. If you can't hear the interplay and call and response going on there, I don't know what to tell you.

I thought that was stellar stuff and my opinion has triple-plated titanium armor, anti-anything missiles and a large loudspeaker that wails Mariah Carey high-notes at volume-level 11!
;)
It appears all that armour is covering your ears, Ian.=)

Interplay is what Mastelotto and Bruford did, Fredy Studer and Pierre Favre, Muir and Bruford, Keltner and Ringo, Ibarra and Charles, Stubblefield and Starks, not this. I'm suprised that it isn't more obvious, don't let your admiration for these people colour your perception....

G

Back