Good Live Drum Mics?

sam13

Hi all,
I haven't really posted much here, and i apologize if this has been discussed already, but can anyone recommend some decent mics for gigging only?
I'd like to mic the kick, snare, floor tom, and 2 rack toms, and would want to use clips as opposed to stands. I am looking to spend around $300 to $400.

I was looking at the CAD Pro-4 set, plus adding either the Audix F-14 or the Shure Beta 52A for the kick.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

I'm sure these would work just fine.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...83406&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=431139178
Unfortunately they don't come with mounts (just clips) so you could pick up some of these.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Audix-DVice-Drum-Microphone-Clip?sku=270685
With the budget you have, it's a little difficult. The newer Audix Fusion series are the "not Made In The USA" version of their D2, D4, D6 and I5 mics. I have the Made In The USA ones and couldn't be happier with them. They do cost a lot more money, though.
Another option is to go with this set from Shure.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-Drum-Mic-Package?sku=270263
These are industry standard type mics that would also work great. You'd be one mic short but you can pick up an additional SM57 for $100. You can probably get them even cheaper on ebay.
Let us know what you end up doing.

I'd hold out for some D-series Audix mics. D-6 for the kick, D-4 for the floor tom, D-2 for each of the rack toms, and an I-5 for the snare. Yeah, that's $600 for the mics, but it's WELL worth it! Or, you could buy them used and save yourself some money (they are pretty durable mics...)

I'd hold out for some D-series Audix mics. D-6 for the kick, D-4 for the floor tom, D-2 for each of the rack toms, and an I-5 for the snare. Yeah, that's $600 for the mics, but it's WELL worth it! Or, you could buy them used and save yourself some money (they are pretty durable mics...)

+1

D6 kick, & Micro-Ds
Engineers tell me they are the easiest to EQ and really sound great!

Put my D6 on a Kelly SHU inside my kick closest to reso port. It ROCKS.

Thanks for your responses and advice. I think I will go with the Audix DP 5 mic set. A little more than I had originally planned to spend, but I think they're worth the xtra $$

Quality costs less in the long run, plus you get to use the best stuff.
Congratulations for not buying things twice, smart move.
I like the Audix stuff too. I especially appreciate the fact that they designed the I5 so in case you miss the snare and hit the mic, you don't ruin the capsule, like w/ a 57. The D6 is a wonderful kick mic. Buy it once, buy it right. That's where the smart money goes.

Quality costs less in the long run, plus you get to use the best stuff.
Congratulations for not buying things twice, smart move.
I like the Audix stuff too. I especially appreciate the fact that they designed the I5 so in case you miss the snare and hit the mic, you don't ruin the capsule, like w/ a 57. The D6 is a wonderful kick mic. Buy it once, buy it right. That's where the smart money goes.

Larry hit the nail on the head. I have the CAD set and although I have been happy with them and they sound fine live, I occasionally work with a sound guy that has the Audix
d4's and a d6. Those mics kill. We do some outdoor shows where he can rip the knob off his PA and my bass drum sounds like a cannon going off. Great mics!

i see you have chosen the audix pack, that's good idea. the i5 is quite comparable to the shure sm57. personally i would go for something a little different, but only because i've never really bought mic's in 'packs'.

1x akg d112
1x shure sm57
3x sennheiser e904
1x matched pair joe meek JM27 pencil condensers

from top to bottom: kick, snare, toms, overheads.
i'm not sure how the individual pricing would compare to the DP 5 pack price, but i have a feeling it's somewhere around the same. your DP 5 pack will be sweet anyway, good choice.
remember it's not only about the mic's that you buy, the real important thing is how you place them. :)

remember it's not only about the mic's that you buy, the real important thing is how you place them. :)[/QUOTE]

Yes, true. I don't have much experience with miking, I've been doing research and trying to learn which methods would work best for me.

It seems to me the only way to really hear how your own drums will sound is to have someone else play while you go out front to hear...then make the necessary adjustments.

that's true yeah. unless i have a mediocre-good sound engineer on hand (virtually never as i can't afford to take my friend around yet) then i will do all my own EQing while my bassist plays the drums. naturally i place all the mics myself anyway, as i'd rather handle my own gear. my guitarist/bassist do a similar thing, so the live engineer gets a pretty easy time usually, lol.

there is a very good book which escapes my memory at the moment, i shall post an amazon link when i find it later. there are also many micing resources on the net (some better than others). mic placement is just an art form in itself really. experiment and you never know what you might get!

remember it's not only about the mic's that you buy, the real important thing is how you place them. :)

That's SOOOO true. One of the cool things about living in Portland is that Audix is only a skip away from town (about a 20 minute drive from my house). I've been to a couple of Audix clinics, and talked to the guys myself. They told me that the Audix D microphones were designed to be pre-EQed (common knowledge) and you get the best sound out of them when they're about 1.5 inches above the rim, pointed at the dead-center of the head. Sure enough, I went home and tried it, and it's true! Yay Audix, for making it easy!

So, that's what I do live when miking my own kit...

Larry hit the nail on the head. I have the CAD set and although I have been happy with them and they sound fine live, I occasionally work with a sound guy that has the Audix
d4's and a d6. Those mics kill. We do some outdoor shows where he can rip the knob off his PA and my bass drum sounds like a cannon going off. Great mics!

I have the CAD Pro 7. I used it outdoors for an annual thing my old band played, and they worked ok. The overhead mini pencil condensers do help wonders... The Kick mic is terrible, and for the most part, the snare mic got used on a guitar cab. They do not sound good in a "studio" situation.

If you can hold out, buy some quality pieces. Quality always pays in the long run... this is my second set of mics, and I will have to buy a third to get the quality I want...

I did a show with a sound guy where all the mics were Shures, and it was the best my kit ever sounded through a P.A.!

These are fantastic!!!
Overheads:
AKG C451b (stereo pair)

Bass Drum:
Shure Beta 91 (inside)
AKG D112 (porthole)

Snare Drum:
-Bottom:
Neumann KMS 10
-Top:
SM57

Toms: