Drum heads for Christmas

davy

Hey guys I had a question about heads. I was thinking about getting a new snare but am leaning towards replacing all of my drum heads including the bass so I don't break the bank. I have the pearl forum and play styles like rock, funk, and sometimes jazz. That being said, what types of heads would you recommend? Also, I have been told that I really don't need to replace the bottom heads, and haven't in the 7 years I have owned it. They are still in good shape, but should I change them as well to compliment the top head? Another question, is tuning a bass any different than a normal drum and what do you recommend to use to muffle it? Thanks for reading and your input

if youre looking for a more open sound go with a remo ambbasador or emperor or evans g1 or g2. if you want more of a dull thuddy sound go with a remo pinstripe or evans ec2.

if you checkout evans website, they have a great flash setup that helps you visually image each one of the heads in line
http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvDrumsetTomBatter.Page?ActiveID=3591

they bass drum should be tuned loosely and have some sort of pillow or blanket inside, it helps the attack. its a big drum so it resonates a lot, naturally, so you want to muffle it a bit or a lot. i only like to muffle mine a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8Q12mKYxI

if you want to get a snare id say get that..as heads a much cheaper if youre getting these things as gift. a small metal snare would be my prefrence

I have the pearl forum and play styles like rock, funk, and sometimes jazz. That being said, what types of heads would you recommend?
I think just go for normal versatile heads, whatever your preferred manufacturer is 2ply on top (coated or clear, whatever you like) and 1ply on bottom

Also, I have been told that I really don't need to replace the bottom heads, and haven't in the 7 years I have owned it. They are still in good shape, but should I change them as well to compliment the top head?
not true. the bottom head vibrates as well you know, that's why it's there. you don't hit it, so this is why it doesn't wear out as fast. as a regularly gigging drummer/recording drummer i replace my bottom head every 3 times i replace my top. i would highly recommend you replace the bottom skin if you're doing any gigs or recordings. not only will it sound better, but you will feel better playing your drums if you have good sounding drums!

Another question, is tuning a bass any different than a normal drum and what do you recommend to use to muffle it? Thanks for reading and your input

tuning isn't any different in the sense that you turn a key to raise/lower the pitch. it's different in the sense that because it's such a big drum, you have to remember it'll take a different amount of turns than a 10" tom.... i would recommend watching bob gatzen's tuning videos on youtube.
you can muffle the bass drum if you want. if you don't muffle you'll get a big open boomy punch sort of sound, and if you do muffle, you'll get more of a thump/clicky sound.

Back