Help?

sXemosher

well I bought my drum set used about 13 months ago, the Drum heads are so terrible it makes me just despise them. They sound SO BAD.
Whats a good cheap brand to replace the heads?

Look for either Evans G2's or Remo Emperors to replace the batter sides(top side) for toms. (assuming you want 2-ply heads.) Clear G1's or Ambassador's for the resonant side (bottom side)

Not sure how much it will set you back because i'm not sure how many drums you have. A safe estimte would be $100. It's well worth shelling out the cash for good heads though, WELL worth it.

Cheers and good luck!
Brady

There's an old saying that goes some thing like, "Seldom are good things cheap. Even more seldom are cheap things good."

Don't scrimp on heads. The reason stock heads are notoriously crappy is because they are "cheap". It can be costly to re-head the whole kit, but it's money well spent. If you're tight on cash, just swap the batters first up.....if you can afford it, do both batter and reso. You'll be surprised at the difference good heads make.

BF, has provided some good reccommendations to start with. Evans, Remo or Aquarian.....you really can't go wrong with.

It cost me around $150 to re-head my kit: 20" bass, 10", 12", 14" toms, and a 14" snare. That's two heads each and one 20" bass drum head.

If that's kinda' high for you, I would recommend the Evan's G2's and an EQ3 for the bass then. Double ply heads, and very durable, but they sound great. Depending on how you play, they could last quite a while. But your drums will sound WAY better! I play Remo heads too, but for some reason, when I use white-coated heads, the Remos tend to wear faster and get dirtier over time. Evans seem to stay white longer for some reason.

If your drum sizes are common you may be able to buy a pre-pack of heads which is usually a little cheaper than buying them all individually.

Whenever I need several heads at once I go to DrumsOnSale, where the prices are decent to start with and when you buy 5 or more you get an additional 10% off. You can mix and match brands/models/sizes.

Back