Help with SKB snare cases

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Hi all, looking for those with some knowledge of SKB to help sort a question I have. I recently bought what was tagged as a 5(or 5.5??)x14 SKB snare case. Got it home and my 5x14 supra absolutely swam in it. Lotsa room to move. However, my 6.5x14 supra fits like a glove in it. No big deal, I just left the 6.5x14 in it. I do however, still need cases for the 5x14 and yet another 6.5x14. The drums store currently has none stocked and I will have to order them so I can't make any comparrisons. The obvious question is, did I just buy a mistagged 6.5x14 case and can therefore safely order another plus a 5x14, or is there room to move, and then some, with SKB's sizing? I've searched the forums but haven't been able to find an answer to this one. Any and all advice will be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

My drums all swim in my SKB cases. If it bothers you, you could always stick an extra piece of foam on the bottom to make a snugger fit.

Here's what I do with my snare case...I put an extra head in the bottom (upside-down), a piece of foam on top of that, and then the snare. That way, there's extra padding on the bottom of the case, I never forget an extra head, and both seem very well protected...

My drums all swim in my SKB cases. If it bothers you, you could always stick an extra piece of foam on the bottom to make a snugger fit.

Here's what I do with my snare case...I put an extra head in the bottom (upside-down), a piece of foam on top of that, and then the snare. That way, there's extra padding on the bottom of the case, I never forget an extra head, and both seem very well protected...

The extra foam I was onto, but to create 'spare head space'....BRILLIANT....brilliant indeed. So damn simple I'm appalled I didn't think of it. You are a true 'ideas man'.

I get that with most of my cases too. Even the hard cases. Like Caddy, I carry a spare head in each of my cases. Sort of a dual benefit thing. I use a spare drumming "T" shirt in my snare case as well.

The extra foam I was onto, but to create 'spare head space'....BRILLIANT....brilliant indeed. So damn simple I'm appalled I didn't think of it. You are a true 'ideas man'.

Awww....shucks!

Just make sure the head is in there upside-down and the foam is at least an inch-and-a-half thick. (I learned this lesson with my first snare case I did this with...)

Thanks for the input men. I will just order the correct sizes, get some foam and make the most of the extra head space (sounds like I'm buying a car!!!)
Feedback much appreciated.
Cheers

I got an SKB for my DW collectors snare and it's a nice snug fit!

Whoa, that's a great idea! I have a Hardcase snare case and it's a little too deep. A spare head in there is a great idea.

Back