Todd Sucherman here!

Congratulations to Todd Sucherman and his lovely wife, Taylor Mills, on the birth of their daughter, Teaghan Everly, on Feb 7th. Happy Valentines Day.

Hey Shemp,

I see where you are coming from, but I still can say I don't think that way. In terms of putting a label on something, you know?. Why is that something that interests you? Why put a label on it? Again, what's easy for someone might be difficult for others. It's far from advanced in my mind if we are comparing it to Mahavishnu stuff or Vinnie with Holdsworth. (There…I just gave it some context.) So in that context, no…it's pretty simple... if you have developed the skills of groove, dynamic shaping, feel, and the necessary ingredients to give it that lope. Now, in the context of just that---those are some skills needed to play well which would have advanced leanings. See what I mean? I say just enjoy the work, work hard, put it in your vocabulary bag and move on to other things that interest you. But declaring a performance as hard or easy is purely up to the individual attempting it.

My best!
TS

Hi Todd,

Thanks for taking the time to articulate your thoughts on this topic and to respond to my thoughts. I do see your point of view and I have a great deal of respect for it.

I don't think I could comprehend even the listening portion of the Holdsworth or Mahavishnu programs, let alone dream of playing them, so, yea, certainly Vehicle is not at a level of technical mastery or meter mastery as those types of things.

You did touch on the items where my suspicions lie relative to the subjective "difficulty" in Vehicle though....and just the "lope" part is something I would say is not easy to come by. There is a certain touch to the kick drum and rhythm to the basic groove that I find very compelling....and that force one to work on some nice foundational skills. Some more "technical" and seemingly more difficult songs were, in the end result (and lots of work), seemingly easier to learn and play and that is where the questions started coming from about Vehicle.

The only reason I like to label something like that is to get a feel for how I'm progressing and what level I'm at or approaching....that's all. Let's call it milestones for mechanics ;-)

Again, thanks very much!

Gongbass--

Thanks! Glad you like the new web site. There's hours of audio, a video page, and a 5 page snare drum gallery, and more. For those interested: http://www.toddsucherman.com

The rocket toms are a "print" of sorts, some digital image wrap on the aluminum. They sound just fine. And it's a paint on the inside.

My best to you-

Gruntersdad-

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it…amazing times indeed. I must correct the Drumhead Mag announcement as they misspelled her name…it's actually Teagan. Thanks again!

Shemp--

Right on. Hope you're having fun behind the kit.

latzanimal--

Indeed. Thanks!!!

2b--

Thanks too!

Hi Todd -

Just wondering if you might be doing any clinics, etc., in the Boston area in the near future. I'm really looking forward to catching you next time you're around....

TheDrumster

Todd, your studio/live sound, coupled with your gear breakdown in your DVDs, has persuaded me to plunk down some coin for an Audix DP5a mic pack.. I look forward to getting it in a few days!

Also congrats on Teagan.

I hope you visit us in NJ sometime soon on a clinic.

Dominick

TheDrumster--

Hey, well sorry you missed a few. I did the downtown GC last October and DiCenso's (for a 3rd time) in November I think it was. So it might be a while until I'm back. Hope you keep an eye out when I do. Thanks a lot!

Dominick-

Thanks, man. Check out the SCX25As by Audix for overheads. They are MVPs. Expensive but not like some of the high end German/Austrian makes, and the SCX25A's hang in there with mics 3 times the price. Hope they work for you.

Cheers-
Todd

TheDrumster--

Hey, well sorry you missed a few. I did the downtown GC last October and DiCenso's (for a 3rd time) in November I think it was. So it might be a while until I'm back. Hope you keep an eye out when I do. Thanks a lot!

Cheers-
Todd

Todd, where should I keep an eye out so I'll know when you're back?

Drumster and Uniongoon-

Yes, my newly redesigned website has my schedule. I also post about clinics on the "Official Todd Sucherman' page on Facebook. Come "like" that page if you're on FB. But the new website has my schedule, hours of audio/video, gear pages including a 5 page snare gallery, etc. Hope you guys check it out.

Thanks!

Todd

http://toddsucherman.com

Todd, are you touring with Styx this summer? If so, I will finally be able to see you in Western New York at Artpark August 19th. If you've never been there, it's fantastic. A beautiful park, you would never guess you're in New York. Anyway, any clinics coming to Buffalo? Ontario? Toronto?

Al

Hey Todd -

Just got back from a trip to Chicago and ended up in the Hard Rock Cafe there. They had your Pearl kit up behind the bar on display. I always wondered if those instruments on display were actual artist's instruments. It could've been, but part of me thinks they find something similar to what you played, had you sign some heads, and go put it on display. They also had Ben E. Carlos's kit mounted on a wall.

MisterZero--

Yes I am and I'll be there. We did Artpark in '04 or '05 and had about 20,000 at the gig. Hope this one is just as good! And hope you dig it. No clinics on the books…I have to be invited to do them and do not choose where I do them. Thanks, man.

Bo Eder--

Yes, that was indeed one of my kits. That was the "B" rig for several years. Thanks for the note and cool you saw the old girl there.

Cheers-
TS

Hey Todd, I am a huge Styx fan and you are truly an inspiration for me to play drums! I saw you live with Styx a few months ago and it was awesome. Anyway, I have a show coming up this week and I was just wondering what are some drums, cymbals, or auxiliary instruments to help make my sound pop and sound different from the others. At this point, I have a china, small bell, 3 woodblocks (small, medium, large), a cowbell, and a microsnare along with the other basic parts of a drumset (13 inch snare, bass, 3 toms, ride, high hat). I noticed that you had what almost looked like a floor tom upright? Also would would probably be your favorite cymbal? Any toms that you recommend?

Thank you very much,

Stephen C.

Stephen,

Thanks for the kind words--they are appreciated! Well, I'm not really sure how to answer your questions. What makes your playing pop is really mostly in your hands. It's how you play and hit the drums. Not how many unique sound sources you have around the kit. I have drums and cymbals…and that's what really interests me. I hope the gigs went well for you!

Cheers from Cincinnati-
TS

Hi Todd,

I've been working on my own version (for what it's worth!) of your Thank You Mr Smith.

However, I have to go flat out on my bass drum pedals to get the required speed, making it sound like some kind of death metal performance!

Meanwhile, your version swings and has jazz sensibility, while still being powerful.

I just wondered how you approach playing this song?

I'm a huge fan of your playing, by the way, and your two DVDs are among the best out there.

Cheers from the UK...

Thanks, Supermac-

I have a jazz background and some of those ideas there are based on Smith's famous solo from Journey's live record called Captured. (Check that out and it will be obvious.) Smith few up a jazz drummer so the genesis comes from that entirely. Then it was up to me to incorporate my ideas in that framework. When you compare the two there are some similarities yet totally different. It honestly was my heartfelt tribute to someone who had meant very much to me.

The whole solo is transcribed in the Methods & Mechanics book, which has all the songs and solos from the first DVD along with a CD of performances and play alongs. Hope it helps!

Thanks again!
Cheers from Concord, NH

TS

http://www.hudsonmusic.com/hudson/products/methods-mechanics-book/

Hey Todd,

I love your drumming style and your ideas. They really help inspire me and push my playing to a new level. Anyway, quick question. In this solo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnQkDrb07PY what is the sticking for that lick your doing in the beginning? It sounds like your doing triplets between your left hand and kick, accenting 2 and 4 on the snare, and quarters with your right hand to get a sort of hemiola thing going on, but then you throw in those doubles which makes my mind explode. What exactly are you doing there, if you remember? Thanks for taking your time to read this, and for inspiring us drummers and musicians.

—Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your kind words! They are appreciated very much. Well, I'm not sure what part you mean as that clip begins at the end of a transition between a biao and a tom grove that modulates into a fast shuffle. But that was a long time ago, and even if I know what I played I'm not sure I could convey it properly to you here.

If you have the first Methods & Mechanics DVD, ALL that stuff has been lovingly transcribed in the Methods & Mechanics book by Brad Schlueter who has astonishing transcribing skills. So some of that stuff may be found in there. There should hopefully be enough in there to keep you busy for a bit anyway!

Apologies for being unable to supply you a proper answer and thanks again-
Cheers from Toronto-
TS

Back