Ever been called a hipster?

I see the term hipster as a slightly positive thing, not negative [. . .] Not a derogatory thing, more like a calling it like it is thing. Like being a musician is a requirement for being a hipster

Where I come from being called a "hipster" is tantamount to being called a wanker; I've been called a wanker plenty of times [I know, shocking isn't it?] but never a hipster. Mostly because I'm the wrong side of 30; wear glasses with prescription lenses instead of just plain glass; have never owned a pair of espadrilles; and realised vinyl records were a pile of shite back in 1988.

If you're still coming over to London for the London Drum Show, Larry, I wouldn't take it as a compliment if anyone calls you a hipster.

Last edited:
...and realised vinyl records were a pile of shite back in 1988.

I'll preface this (only due to the title of the thread, mind you) by saying I have never been called a hipster, nor have I ever been fashionable or anti-fashionable, or cool or anti-cool, or anything relating to anything like that. But I just have to say that, not only do I disagree with you, but it is a fact that vinyl rocks. I don't have any proof, except for the magic that emanates from my 70's era Bose stand speakers...and that's all that's needed :)

Single speed bike (avid MTB'er...had a SS since '04)
Vinyl LP's (never got rid of them..always liked them)
Obscure musical taste (C'mon we're drummers)
Retro style glasses (I have them, but as a tribute to engineers of the past)
Ironic T-shirts (again..we're drummers so funny amusing t-shirts have always been cool)

I don't know what to do now. I can't have people thinking I'm trying to be a hipster at my age now can I?

I try not to follows trends, but everything you mentioned I like. Single Speed bike, check, but mine was vintage welded frame beach cruiser with monster handle bars. Built it myself.
Had to dump it at the dumpster when I moved out of my old apartment when my wife left me. It didn't sit at that dumpster for more than 2 minutes before somebody grabbed it. Damn.
-Vinyl? Had a good collection of rare Hendrix and some other classic rock, plus a lot of good 45's of punk music and stuff. It got stolen from my mom's house when I stored it there.
-Obscure musical taste? Check. Ever heard of John Gorka or a guy named Bookbinder? Probably not. Does anybody here even listen to Kimock? Anybody else here play the Autoharp?
Retro-style glasses? Nope. Don't need them, hopefully never will. But, if I did, chances are I would go for retro.
Ironic t-shirts? Of course! The shirt I was wearing at our gig last Saturday said "Don't bro me if you don't know me". Everybody digs that shirt for some odd reason.

Believe me, in no way do I try to be a hipster. I loathe people who try to be trendy, but I can't help my tastes. I would never wear tight pants or get a tattoo. Tattoos are for jailbirds and sailors, but now everybody want to get inked. I just don't think ink on skin is that big of a deal. Just being a drummer is cool enough for me.

Hipsters, absolutely, in Atlanta they wear bowling shirts, or, you know, that style of shirt. And skinny fitting trousers. Now I'll tell you about those trousers. I thought they looked great, much better than the dumb-looking old hippie jeans I was wearing. So you know what? It's Levis 511. And they fit me great! No big deal.

And they're not just jeans. They come in brown, and black, and gray, blah blah. I picked up two at Macy's on Sunday when they were having a special.

Hipsters also wear straw hats and have little mustaches and goatees. It's a real style, alright.

It's a sort of California 60s beatnik looking kind of thing. They should be carrying bongoes, and hanging around Ed Big Daddy Roth's garage.

About a month ago I was detasseling and some guy asked me what I was listening to. It was Coldplay. Apparently, you're a hipster if you pick corn while listening a 7 year old Coldplay album

I define hipster as someone who wears, listens to, or talks about any given things for the sole purpose of trying to stand out and be a special snowflake. Which is ironic, because they all end up doing the same crap.

If you are listening to something because you actually like it, and don't make a point of talking about the band all the time to seem cool, you're not a hipster.

I'm not very fond of hipsters. Neon framed Wayfarers, stupid hats, skin tight denim jeans, scarves in the summer time, etc. It's like a competition for who can look the most ridiculous. And the music....I can't wait till this trend of faux emo bluegrass dies and fades into obscurity.

Why did the hipster burn his mouth on pizza?

Because he ate it before it was "cool".

Back