Ever been called a hipster?

I never met a type of vegetable I didn't like until a month ago at an Indian restaurant and a friend say "let's try the okra".

Yes, it's the slime ... the slime ...

And they had a banjo :)

The shop with the meatloaf had a banjo? ;-)

And, Madge, I assure you I am no ones' mother-in-law. I don't even really like kale, I just managed to eat it once. And now I'm being persecuted for trying to keep this thread on track. Oh, the horror!

But I have to say, my new favorite phrase is-

"This thread has been SATURNED!"

The biggest gripe I have about okra is when it's chopped, it looks like jalapeno. I love jalapenos. So when I get myself all excited to have some jalapenos and it turns out to be okra, damn; what a disappointment.

The biggest gripe I have about okra is when it's chopped, it looks like jalapeno. I love jalapenos. So when I get myself all excited to have some jalapenos and it turns out to be okra, damn; what a disappointment.

I agree. Okra, breaded with corn meal and fried, is a staple of my family from the southeast. I just can't stomach it. Ugh.

Ouch, that's harsh. Reminds me of about 30 yrs ago at a party, I was a moderately shitfaced and bit into what I thought was a chocolate cake in the dim light - turned out to be liverwurst. At first I figured the cake had gotten so rotten that it had turned into a fetid mush.

I agree. Okra, breaded with corn meal and fried, is a staple of my family from the southeast. I just can't stomach it. Ugh.

Your family fed you that stuff? Ouch again :( Mum used to serve mashed potato from a packet and would never put enough water in it so you'd get these horrible dried lumps on the plate that you were expected to eat under pain of parental disapproval.

Ouch, that's harsh. Reminds me of about 30 yrs ago at a party, I was a moderately shitfaced and bit into what I thought was a chocolate cake in the dim light - turned out to be liverwurst. At first I figured the cake had gotten so rotten that it had turned into a fetid mush.

LOL! A cake sized liverwurst? Fetid mush lol. I can picture that. Anyone else notice your horror lol? I cannot stomach liver. It makes me want to hurl. Strangely enough, I can eat liverwurst though. Agree Okra is nasty.

Ha! It just looked like a slice - like maybe the last slice of a chocolate cake. I freaked out - for a moment I thought I had a mouthful of penicillin!

As for okra, this part of the Wiki entry says it all:
The products of the plant are mucilaginous, resulting in the characteristic "goo" or slime when the seed pods are cooked; the mucilage contains a usable form of soluble fiber.

I'm starting to feel sorry for okra. I've always considered it to be a harmless and, indeed, pointless vegetable. It certainly isn't in the same diabolical league as kale or celery.

This morning as I was making and drinking my kale smoothie, I kept thinking "yeah, Magenta would call this Devil juice!!"

Calling it Devil juice made it taste that much better. haha.

Although I put so many other things in the smoothie, you don't actually taste the kale.

I love okra. I like it sliced and baked (least slime....actually, hardly any), I like it in soups, I like okra and tomatoes, and although I'm not real big on frying, I have always liked fried okra. So, there.

I love okra. I like it sliced and baked (least slime....actually, hardly any), I like it in soups, I like okra and tomatoes, and although I'm not real big on frying, I have always liked fried okra. So, there.

Always a weird one in the bunch. ;-) haha!

This morning as I was making and drinking my kale smoothie, I kept thinking "yeah, Magenta would call this Devil juice!!"

Calling it Devil juice made it taste that much better. haha.

Although I put so many other things in the smoothie, you don't actually taste the kale.
Chortle!

I don't want to know the answer to this, but I still have to ask: do you put raw kale in your smoothie?

I don't want to know the answer to this either, but again I have to ask: what else do you put in? (If you say celery and Brussels sprouts, I'll track you down - shouldn't be too difficult, I'll follow my nose - and throw okra at you.)

Well said. I couldn't really care one way or the other about okra, but I feel it is being much maligned. I'm glad it has one person to fight its corner.

Chortle!

I don't want to know the answer to this, but I still have to ask: do you put raw kale in your smoothie?

I don't want to know the answer to this either, but again I have to ask: what else do you put in? (If you say celery and Brussels sprouts, I'll track you down - shouldn't be too difficult, I'll follow my nose - and throw okra at you.)

yes, raw kale.

No brussel sprouts! Eww..

A handful of kale, a tablespoon of wheatgrass powder, a banana, some almond milk, maybe some coconut water, then either frozen strawberries or blueberries or both, top off with water. Blend, drink that, workout, ride bike to work.

Yup all the time. Not only because I wear black rimmed glasses(prescription mind you), but also because I have a weird taste in music. I don't watch much tv or listen to the radio(I often despise popular music).

yes, raw kale.

A handful of kale, a tablespoon of wheatgrass powder, a banana, some almond milk, maybe some coconut water, then either frozen strawberries or blueberries or both, top off with water. Blend, drink that, workout, ride bike to work.

Tempting, but I think I'll stick to gin.

Back