Drop Clutch

Concrete Pete

Hey Crew,

Anyone experienced in using a Drop Clutch, and which one to buy? As you probably all know by now, I'm completely addicted to using double bass pedals, and think I might be best off with a drop clutch on the hi-hat.

My current hi-hat rig is a classic mid-40's Ludwig, which (at current height setting) only has about 1-1/4" of rod above the top cymbal. Is that enough for a drop clutch, or will I need to buy or fabricate a longer one to accept a drop clutch setup? I can't lower the cymbal height, as it's it's only about 3" from the top of my snare, and is still pretty close at that height to interfering with my snare/hi-hat minimum heights.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers,
C. P.

Figure out if you want a drop clutch that you hit on the top or on the side with your stick. Each has their benefits/disadvantages. Go from there. It's a simple mechanism, really, and I haven't run across any particular brand that I'd warn you to stay away from.

You DO need a little extra rod for a drop clutch. Maybe you should consider this factor when choosing your drop clutch. Measure the length of the rod that sticks out above the top hat, and use that info when looking. Perhaps you won't find one that fits(???). If that's the case, you could always buy a longer steel rod from a hardware store and have them thread it for you. No big deal, really...just bring your old one with you so you buy the right size (diameter AND length).

My problem with a drop clutch is they make the action of the hi-hat sluggish.

I had a DW, and it was great for a while, but eventually the little felt that is in-between the two halves wore out, which left a gap.

I tried to just get use to it, but it drove me nuts.

I used a DW drop clutch for awhile. It will give the hi hat a heavy feeling (at least mine did). I eventually went with an X-hat and like that much better but that means getting another set of hi hats.

"I had a DW, and it was great for a while, but eventually the little felt that is in-between the two halves wore out, which left a gap."

I'm a little confused on that part - prob b/c I haven't used a DW so maybe the design differs

On the clutches I have used (Pearl and Gibraltar) the felt design doesn't really differ from the std clutches

its there an extra felt on the DW somewhere?

I understand tama has a somewhat different kind of drop clutch option

Now, I've never used nor even seen one so grain of salt here - but from what I gather from description it is more of a "pedal lock/brake" that pins the hh pedal in a down position so that the Hi hat's themselves are closed by action of the stand (as opposed to being decoupled from the stand as with a drop clutch)

how well it works and such -- couldn't tell ya

anyone have experience with that beastie???

"I had a DW, and it was great for a while, but eventually the little felt that is in-between the two halves wore out, which left a gap."

I'm a little confused on that part - prob b/c I haven't used a DW so maybe the design differs

On the clutches I have used (Pearl and Gibraltar) the felt design doesn't really differ from the std clutches

its there an extra felt on the DW somewhere?

Not the cymbal felt.

A drop clutch has two parts, a top and a bottom. Most drop clutches have a tiny piece felt (although some may have gone to rubber) so the two halves don't have direct metal-to-metal contact.

Not the cymbal felt.

A drop clutch has two parts, a top and a bottom. Most drop clutches have a tiny piece felt (although some may have gone to rubber) so the two halves don't have direct metal-to-metal contact.

(edit correction) ah - OK gotcha

you're finding that is causing play?

maybe a closed cell foam (neoprene etc) would work better for ya there (relatively easy to compress but relisient)

The gibraltar one at least is very thin - which could be helpful

Last edited:
I understand tama has a somewhat different kind of drop clutch option

Now, I've never used nor even seen one so grain of salt here - but from what I gather from description it is more of a "pedal lock/brake" that pins the hh pedal in a down position so that the Hi hat's themselves are closed by action of the stand (as opposed to being decoupled from the stand as with a drop clutch)

how well it works and such -- couldn't tell ya

anyone have experience with that beastie???

I have one of these. It's called a Cobra Clutch. Very nice contraption. The wife got it for me for Father's Day a few years back. You avoid the cymbal clang of activating a standard drop clutch and it also is very sturdy. You just swing your left heal over and set the clutch and then you're off on double bass.

I haven't set the thing up in a while and frankly, when it was set up on my practice kit at home, it was the first piece of gear I would leave behind if I packed up the kit.

Great idea though and at $90, very high quality. Of course if you play the Iron Cobra pedals it matches perfectly.

cobra_clutch_closed.jpg

cobra_clutch_open.jpg

Hey Crew,

Well, I did it--I broke down and bought a Gibraltar Drop Clutch tonight before band practice. Just under $20 bucks, looked kinda complicated, and brought it home after practice to install.

Problem-- my hi hat (inner) rod was too short to allow installation. I called the Music Store and they wanted $22.99 + tax for a longer rod, and it's a "special order'' that would arrive 1-2 weeks later.... AUUUGH!

Solution-- I removed the inner rod, set it aside, and used a "spare" rod I have. I cut the upper section (above the chintzy 2-point pivot) about 8" down from the bottom of the knurled part and welded in a 6" section of 1/4" diameter steel rod, then smoothed the welds with a Dremel 1/2" barrel sander, and screwed the whole thing back together. Had to lube the rod where it goes thru the inner nylon sleeves, installed the drop clutch, and VOILA- a cool new addition to my drum set!

I HIGHLY recommend anyone who uses a double bass pedal to try out using a drop clutch--seriously.
I can't even begin to describe how cool, and how extremely useful it is. VERY easy to get used to using, and a huge asset for anyone that is a double bass/double bass pedal user.

Yeah, there are better ones on the market than the Gibraltar ones, more expensive, and probably better quality, but this is my 1st one, and I'm so happy with it I could just scream!

Rock forever,
C. P.

Hey Crew,

TTNW-- that setup with the foot clutch looks SWEET! I gotta try one of those soon, and see how it works-- I bet really good. (I can't afford one of those at this moment)

I did about 4 hrs of off-and-on practice tonight dropping and re-engaging the Gibraltar Drop Clutch I bought, and it works pretty good, except for the fact that the "grab hook" (for lack of better technical term) seemed to need a slight grind to give it 2-3% more aggressive angle to work better which I did with my ever-trusty Dremel, with a biscuit cutter attachment. Did that, and it works WAY better.
I probably voided the warranty, but it DOES work way better, and I think I'm a Drop Clutch addict now, so who cares? $20 bucks spent for a new horizon.

Rock forever,
C. P.

TTNW-- that setup with the foot clutch looks SWEET! I gotta try one of those soon, and see how it works-- I bet really good. (I can't afford one of those at this moment)

Well, it's cool but I don't think it's worth the money unless you're recording and the cymbal drop might be heard. Otherwise the $20 drop clutch is the way to go.

I don't play a lot of double bass. Mostly for an odd ruff or fill or when ending a song. I've never really put in the work to get any better.

There were a couple of songs that I was playing for a while that I found it easier to just have some hats set partially open on an X-hat to the right of my right and play the section open handed and I found it much more enjoyable than stressing as to whether I would smack the drop clutch at the right time.

If you do decide to get one, you can probably find one used as they seem to me to be that kind of purchase that comes with some buyer's remorse. Mine was a gift so I'll keep it.

Rock on double bass mon.

Back