Head Decision

Kopi

Hey guys, new member here looking for some new heads. I have an all maple set of PDP x7 that I want to reskin. I have a bunch of names in my head, Emperors, EC2 (SST), G2, just trying to see what I might like.

I read alot of people say the EC2 sound a little "dead". All attack, no sustain. Tough to really put into perspective without really hearing them. I'm making a trip Saturday to go check out a bunch but it would be cool to have some knowledge before walking in.

I hear good things from people about the new SST, but I don't want to buy heads that are going to sound like me smacking cardboard. Maybe you could provide some re-assurance, some tips, or anything like that to help me make up my mind.

Cheers!

I played a PDP X7 a few weeks ago with EC1 heads on them and was pleasantly suprised. I even had a buddy play the kit while I stood about 15 feet in front just to hear the sound from the audience perspective. The sound was very similar to clear G2s but with just enough overtone control. As far as the EC2....I tried those and thought they were a little too muffled for my taste...you have to really pound them to get them to open up. The EC1 sounds and feels better to me although I have heard they have been discontinued but I'm sure there are some in stock still around.

What kind of sound are you after?

Deep, fat, a nice rumble to them especially on the floors. I was looking for Performance II's but not many in stock at the local stores.

I found a decent quality video on youtube, have a listen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZd4A3H-T8

They sound OK, i can sort of hear the "dead"ness that some people talk about, but they don't sound too bad. Now I'm new, so would you guys say that something like an emperor or even the old EC2 sound much different than that?

I played a PDP X7 a few weeks ago with EC1 heads on them and was pleasantly suprised. I even had a buddy play the kit while I stood about 15 feet in front just to hear the sound from the audience perspective. The sound was very similar to clear G2s but with just enough overtone control. As far as the EC2....I tried those and thought they were a little too muffled for my taste...you have to really pound them to get them to open up. The EC1 sounds and feels better to me although I have heard they have been discontinued but I'm sure there are some in stock still around.

Yeah, I had originally counted the EC2 out of my decision for new heads, until I heard about the SST ones. I emailed a friend who owns a drum store (Just Drums, really big store in southern Ontario), and he said he didn't like the regular EC2 either, but these were supposed to be alot more open. I believe the EC1 are discontinued, which is a shame since from what I read, they just sound like less-muffled EC2.

Like I mentioned before, I'll have a chance to try them on Saturday on a demo kit, so I'll know for sure then.

Last edited:
Well conveniently enough, the kit was not set up in time while I was at the store. I didn't get to hear them live :(

Has anyone had a chance to hear these, compare how "dead" they are vs the old EC2?

I'm back and forth in my mind between these SST and Emperors. Considering I like a real low, fat, rumble sound...would either of these be good/better for that?

The major difference with muffling-attached heads and non muffled heads is tuning. Since overtones are partially to mostly taken care of by the muffling, you dont *have* to tune as precisely to get the sound you want from muffled heads. However, a whole huge part of the range of possible sounds is gone. With normal heads, tune them right and you can get any sound you want.

Personally, the *most* I'd go into muffling on toms are Pinstripes. Get some clear Evans G2s if you want a good rumble with a nice attack, or coated G2s if you want more warmth and rumble.

I say all this having owned EC2s, the older kind. And yeah, dead. as. hell.

The major difference with muffling-attached heads and non muffled heads is tuning. Since overtones are partially to mostly taken care of by the muffling, you dont *have* to tune as precisely to get the sound you want from muffled heads. However, a whole huge part of the range of possible sounds is gone. With normal heads, tune them right and you can get any sound you want.

Personally, the *most* I'd go into muffling on toms are Pinstripes. Get some clear Evans G2s if you want a good rumble with a nice attack, or coated G2s if you want more warmth and rumble.

I say all this having owned EC2s, the older kind. And yeah, dead. as. hell.

Cheers man, its good to hear some opinions from someone who has owned the EC2.

So Evans G2 is a good choice. How do they compare to the Emperors? Both 2 ply 7mil I believe?

Back