covering up the logo on a kick reso

yammieoaks

i've got Oak Customs with a Fiberskyn (not sure which one since it's factory) with the Yamaha logo on it.

i want to cover up the logo and am wondering if it makes any difference to use duct tape or any other kind of tape (ie. will it change the sound of the kick by using crappy duct tape?).

any ideas?

thanks.

You could try Acetone (on a small spot first), it should remove the ink on the head if it's not on there thick.

Is it printed or a thin vinyl sticker?

Acetone works really well on the smooth heads, but I would just try a spot to make sure.

Used a little at a time, it doesn't affect the plastic of the head.

You could try Acetone (on a small spot first), it should remove the ink on the head if it's not on there thick.

Is it printed or a thin vinyl sticker?

Acetone works really well on the smooth heads, but I would just try a spot to make sure.

Used a little at a time, it doesn't affect the plastic of the head.
it's printed......................

Seems to me that a piece of duct tape will look worse than the logo it's covering. Just my opinion, though... (see my signature...) I'd try to remove it like Karl suggested.

Meanwhile, today I'm putting on a new reso and adding a '70s Ludwig logo! Different strokes for different folks.

I would just take a can of semi-gloss spray paint to the entire head. Krylon makes a paint called Fusion paint that bonds to plastic and won't flake or chip off. I painted my reso head and its been holding up well for a long time. I didn't notice much of a sound difference either.

ANYTHING you put on the head to cover it including paint will change the sound of the head, especially duct tape (which I would agree would look pretty bad.) Guess the question is why do you want to get rid of the logo? If it's me, I'd just get a new head, something tells me in the end that's what's going to happen anyway.

Let me tell you from experience that spraypainting the head will result in a lifeless drum. Don't do it.

Do you have a white or black head? Black is easy enough to cover for all intensive purposes with a Sharpie. White... well, maybe whiteout? :)

Remember, no matter what you do, the worst case scenario is that you ruin the head and have to buy a new one. That scenario also becomes more likely the more you mess with the head.

Good luck!

goo gone.

theres a product out there that comes in little bottles and they arent too expensive. its called goo gone and its made for this kind of thing. they have it so you can get stickers and things of the like off and it really works. it shouldnt hurt the head either but i cant make promises for fiberskin heads. i know it doesnt hurt any other heads. or anything ive used it on for that matter.

i think its worth a shot but it comes down to your decision.

If Goo Gone will take off the ink, then it would have less effect on the plastic overlay that makes up the 'fiberskyn' than acetone.

Acetone will take the ink off, but I'd be careful with it on the Fiberskyn.

If it's a small logo, I may try it, but otherwise, I'd leave the head as is and not take a chance on screwing up the expensive Fiberskyn head.

On a smooth White or a Black head, acetone (used sparingly and wiped quickly) works no problem.

Never tried Goo Gone to remove a logo, but it takes any sticky (tape or whatever) residue off everything great.

If Goo Gone will take off the ink, then it would have less effect on the plastic overlay that makes up the 'fiberskyn' than acetone.

Acetone will take the ink off, but I'd be careful with it on the Fiberskyn.

If it's a small logo, I may try it, but otherwise, I'd leave the head as is and not take a chance on screwing up the expensive Fiberskyn head.

On a smooth White or a Black head, acetone (used sparingly and wiped quickly) works no problem.

Never tried Goo Gone to remove a logo, but it takes any sticky (tape or whatever) residue off everything great.
yeah, at this point, i'll leave the logo on, save $50 by not buying a new head and just live with it;)

...just to satisfy my curiosity, can I ask why ???

You have a Yamaha drum, with a Yamaha logo...
What's the problem ? maybe you just don't like logos ?
I myself removed all the logos of my cymbals...

Philippe

It is very simple, I have done it many times and it will NOT change the sound of the head.

You go to a local hobby shop that sell RC airplanes. You ask for Monokote trim. You find the matching color of your head and you are good to go. This is an extremely thin film with a sticky back. A word of warning, once on it is a major pain to get off. It is designed to stay on model airplanes flying at high speeds with fuel and other solvent type liquids. It is designed to stick. Also a trick to getting it in place as well as any other sticker. Spray the head with windex or generic window cleaner where you want the sticker to go. as long as you keep it wet the sticker will be movable. Then you simply let it dry.

http://www.monokote.com/trim.html

I actually use the exact same product to make custom drum heads for myself ;-)

Well, if you cover it up, it won't blend with the texture of the Fiberskyn head and you will have a big rectangle that will look stranger than the logo. Just buy a new Fiberskyn Ambassador head and use that one for a batter or save it as a spare.

If its brand new can you take it back in exchange for a plain one, or why did you buy a logo one if you didn't want the logo. Inquiring minds want to know.

...just to satisfy my curiosity, can I ask why ???

You have a Yamaha drum, with a Yamaha logo...
What's the problem ? maybe you just don't like logos ?
I myself removed all the logos of my cymbals...

Philippe
yes, i'm not a huge fan of logos;)

Back