Vic Firth Nova sticks?

Wow, I can't disagree with the assessments in this thread more. My in-laws got me a brick of these sticks for Christmas, and they are HORRIBLE. Inconsistant as heck, many pairs have one stick that is slightly lighter than the other, they break way more frequently than the Silver Fox sticks I use regularly (and more often than the standard Vics I used to use), a few of them had dead spots on the tips (these were wood tipped, not nylon)...

Honestly, there wasn't a single pair in the brick I used more than when I first tried 'em out. Not one. It's important to practice as you play, and these sticks make that all but impossible. It sounds like I may have just gotten a bad brick...but that's the point...you never know if that is going to happen to you with these sticks...and if it does, you can't really complain and get a refund/new sticks like with the regular line-ups.

Wow, I can't disagree with the assessments in this thread more. My in-laws got me a brick of these sticks for Christmas, and they are HORRIBLE. Inconsistant as heck, many pairs have one stick that is slightly lighter than the other, they break way more frequently than the Silver Fox sticks I use regularly (and more often than the standard Vics I used to use), a few of them had dead spots on the tips (these were wood tipped, not nylon)...

Honestly, there wasn't a single pair in the brick I used more than when I first tried 'em out. Not one. It's important to practice as you play, and these sticks make that all but impossible. It sounds like I may have just gotten a bad brick...but that's the point...you never know if that is going to happen to you with these sticks...and if it does, you can't really complain and get a refund/new sticks like with the regular line-ups.

It does sound like you got a bad brick, because mine arrived today, and they're freaking awesome. I can't believe I only paid $30. They played just as good as any Vic Firths I've owned. I love them.

Thanks for all the reviews.

I have bought two bricks of 5a wooden tips and so far they are great. I am a medium hitter and play anything from metal to jazz and a pair of these sticks usually last me about two months. I usually just have to retire them because of the tips chipping off, I think I've only actually broken like 2 sticks. But anyway great buy for 40 bucks, I just can't see myself going back to paying 8 dollars a pair for sticks after using these. The weight of the pairs do vary somewhat throughout the brick but thats the same with bricks of any sticks. It works out great because I use the lighter sticks for jazz or instances where i need to play quiet and the heavier ones for everything else.

I play vic firth 5bn and rarely brake sticks, they usually wear thru form the hats an fall off. They had a deal on once for putting your name on them and I unknowingly bought a brick of the novas and broke them all in 3 gigs well except for the couple that had the tips fly off. To make a long story short they are made from the wood that gets rejected from the american classic line usually because the grain is on an angle instead of going full length of the stick making them weak. They also use the old type of tip and application which make them more prone for coming off and breaking than the newer american classic tips that are guarenteed. IMO novas are junk and heres a pic of whats left the brick I had received.

IMGP0961.JPG

Last edited:
Yes in deed...it's a second hand make stick.
I have one VFN 5B stick left in my bag and basically the neck is chipped off. The other one got broken off easy on the tip and neck.

I play vic firth 5bn and rarely brake sticks, they usually wear thru form the hats an fall off. [/IMG]

I have never tried NOVA sticks, but I have used Pulse sticks from Musician's Friend, which are Vater seconds. They are just like a Vater 5A except for cosmentic flaws (which I like). They lasted me the same as Vater sticks. Then I went to my local drum shop, which was able to get me Vater seconds with no logos at $4.00 a pair. I had to buy a brick of twelve pairs. That is now how I go. Peace and goodwill.

I've been using Nova rock n sticks for years. I find they last just as long as standard VF sticks, if not longer as they are slightly thicker in the taper. I've never had one lose a tip either. I usually buy them by the brick- comes out at about £4.17 a pair.

They are about $8 here and the american classics are $10, I get a couple gigs and 1 to 2 rehearsals out of a set of american classics as they just wear thru from the hats and broke all 12 pair of novas in 3 gigs. I could see getting a couple bad pair in a brick but the whole brick I got was garbage.

I have been using the VF American Standard 5B. I love th feel, great stick for me but I thought that the round tip was denting my single ply heads a bit. So I am trying the the regular 5B nylon tip sticks. Did not realize these are shorter than the AS model L16 3/6 opposed to L 16. The regular 5B 's feel like balsa wood in my hands...holy crap. So I am giving the NOVA 2B a try, for $35.00 for 12 pairs I feel it's worth a try, if they suck then I go back to the drawing board, maybe the extended 5B's?

I have been using the VF American Standard 5B. I love th feel, great stick for me but I thought that the round tip was denting my single ply heads a bit. So I am trying the the regular 5B nylon tip sticks. Did not realize these are shorter than the AS model L16 3/6 opposed to L 16. The regular 5B 's feel like balsa wood in my hands...holy crap. So I am giving the NOVA 2B a try, for $35.00 for 12 pairs I feel it's worth a try, if they suck then I go back to the drawing board, maybe the extended 5B's?

So the Nova 2B's arrived yesterday. I tried out about 8 pairs. For $35.00 I have to say so far I think they are well worth it. I rolled a few pairs and they are pretty straight. I remember not too long ago I would go to a music store, the guy would put a bunch of stick on the table and I would have to choose from those. So I will use them this weekend on a gig and see. The 2B is naturally a bit heavier than my 5B's but I used to play 2B's for years so no big deal.

Check out your local music store for deals. From time to time, my local stores will get these bags from Vic Firth, with ten pairs of unmarked sticks in them, and they sell them for $20 a bag! That's $2 a pair! I've been using them for years, as I always buy a bag when they get some in. I really can't feel any difference between these and the expensive, branded Vic Firth sticks. They're not weaker, and the weight is nice. They all seem straight. Just keep a look out

I have done 4 gigs with these Nova sticks and have had no issues at all. The grain on some of the sticks may be a bit odd and maybe that could be a possible weak spot but so far no breaks. The weight of each stick feels just as good in my hands as the regular VF sticks.

Sorry to bump this, but I am in two minds with these sticks.

I'll probably get some 5A wood and nylon tip NOVA, then pick up either one in the AS series, bit not both. I use wood tips, as my only nylon paid are huge (must be 7's) but I might end up transferring as the nylon may sound a bit better on the hi-hats.

What's the difference between NOVA and unbranded?

Back