John Bonham

its strikes me that a_rockdrummer is a troll and i will be watching him. alex and kieth would not, and have not touched bonham. far more drummers today cite john as their hero. there are clearly reasons. besides if you think drumming is some sort of ranked competition then you are very much in need of a reality check and perhaps ten years of growing up time. bonham was a legend and an innovator.
same old crap over and over again

shows that you have a poorly developed ear for music. how is fool in the rain in any way related to good times bad times or houses of the holy.

these 3 drummers here are all around drummers,
john bonham was not a all around drummer

bonham played jazz, bigband, samba and other latin grooves, blues, rock, dixie, bluegrass, heavy, light, pop and also a lot of stuff that doesn't fit into any nameable genre.
you really shot yourself in the foot here.

my forum rule stands:
DON'T BASH BONZO....EVER.

J

Last edited:
a_rockdrummer said:
here are some drummers that would crush john bonham.

neil peart

alex van halen

keith moon.

Ha ha - good one!

(if somebody takes this serious: you didn't got it - was a joke of course)

and don't bash Ringo!!!

Bernhard

i h8 jon bohnam and all these olden day jazz drummers they are not fast and joey jordison is better coz he is fast and he plays good music not jazz like jon bohnam or flow mornier (who is crap) tray cool is better than john coz at least he isn't an olden day jazz drummer who plays jazz i h8 my parents

Love Bonzo... my favorite drummer. In My Time of Dying is my favorite Bonham tune. I'm surprised no one mentioned Trampled Underfoot when talking about Bonhams right foot. For me the most impressive of all Zep tunes with regards to this.

How the hell could anyone say Bonzo was a crap drummer!!!!

Thats like saying you dont beleive in GOD!!!!

Bonzo's groove and timing was impeccable. His style and the way he played the heel toe on his feet.. especially in the Imigrant Song is amazing.

I cant see how someone who has twice the number of drums could blow bonham off the stage because bonham didnt need thousands of toms or kick drums to get a massive sound.

Anyway thats my opinion.

Andy

Re: Favorite Bonzo Track EVER?

Good Times Bad Times, The Ocean, Fool in the Rain...

Re: Favorite Bonzo Track EVER?

Bring it on home
Heart breaker
When the leavy breaks
Fool in the rain

John Bonham sound clips....never before heard by most people

Below is 4 sound files that i got from another drummerworld member (Bonzo91). These sound files are rare and you prob cannot find them anywhere.....i got them off of a website Bonzo91 sent me and i took a few and put them on here.

these sound files are rare John Bonham drum clips of him playing in the recording studio (just the drums)....this is when zeppelin was in the process of recording in through the out door in the months of november and december 1978.

thanks Bonzo91!!!

B_InThroughTheOutDoor.jpg

JPJ_RP_JB_in_studio_1969_LZ-II_session.jpg

heres also a site that i found with alot of rare zeppelin pics

http://www.ledzeppelin.ru/photo.htm

JB_JM_Continental_Hyatt_House_LA_CA_21-22_aug_1971.jpg

Attachments

• BonhamFile1.mp3
    532.1 KB · Views: 853
  • BonhamFile2.mp3
    2.1 MB · Views: 782
  • BonhamFile3.mp3
    1.3 MB · Views: 729
  • BonhamFile4.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 726
Re: JOHN BONHAM SOUND CLIPS....NEVER BEFORE HEARD BY MOST PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

Man, his booming drum sound is almost frightening, not to mention those sounds he making in the first file, haha, thanks pdp and bonzo91 for the great clips.

-Donovan

Yea these clips are a sweet find. I have somewhere around 23 total clips from the same sessions. I can't even remember where I got them it was so long ago. I think there may be another thread on here that has the rest, or maybe not, I don't remember.

Thanks to you too i thought people really had to hear em

u guys want me to post some more? because theres about 25 in all and ill post 5 more tonight if i have time

a_rockdrummer said:
here are some drummers that would crush john bonham.

neil peart

alex van halen

keith moon.

maybe the most ignorant thing ive ever heard on drummerworld ever...(except for fall out boy becoming the next beatles)....john bonham is the godfather of all rock drumming. u cant compare neil peart to bonham because theyre are soooooooooooo different when it comes to theyre technique and style......i mean soooooo far apart....alex van halen doesnt touch any of these guys and moon didnt own a hi hat so case closed

drummerstix_au said:
How the hell could anyone say Bonzo was a crap drummer!!!!

Thats like saying you dont beleive in GOD!!!!

Bonzo's groove and timing was impeccable. His style and the way he played the heel toe on his feet.. especially in the Imigrant Song is amazing.

I cant see how someone who has twice the number of drums could blow bonham off the stage because bonham didnt need thousands of toms or kick drums to get a massive sound.

Anyway thats my opinion.

Andy

Ummm . . . . i don't believe in god . . . . . but i do believe John Bonham brought more to rock drumming than any other drummer dead or alive . . . . . .

Ask 1000 drummers for their top ten, and JB will rank higher for more people than anyone else. Just read any drumming magazine - just about every pro or amateur interviewed lists JB as an influence.

Bonham to the moon said:
i havent seen anyone come close to bonhams right foot, except maybe jo jo mayer, but even then, there not as powerful as bonhams.

Actually I'd say:
1) you haven't seen Bonzo live
2) you haven't seen Jojo Mayer live ;-)
so you can't really compare them

Come on, there are plenty of people technically better than Bonzo, your idolizing him too much. That's like saying Buddy Rich was faster with one hand than most of the pros with both...
I'm 200% sure I would winn a battle of me (using both hands) vs Mike Mangini (just one hand :D )

John Bonham's ''weapons'' were awsome groove (oh man, that's a deeeeep pocket!!!)
and inovation!

pdp 9091 said:
and moon didnt own a hi hat so case closed

He owned one. He used it in the studio, but live he didn't. That may seem weird to most drummers, but the way The Who played live it really fits quite nicely. Since the Who never really "grooves" the high hats are not really necessary. The Who is all about sheer energy, and when a drummer goes for energy most of the time he is on the crash, and Moon was pure energy.

Back