Tommy Lee

I'd rather see the TOP kit as it ended up...used, abused and bruised!

A pristine kit wouldn't seem lik eit was really TL's kit, it could just be a newer kit with th eold Pearl Lugs.

I dug the Chrome Pearl kit with the red chrome hardware.

I usually hate colored hardware, but since it was red chrome plating, I liked it.

It didn't look cheap.

I think that huge bass drum in the new vid & promo for St's is cool.

I though WTF at first, but then I thought it was cool.

I liked that red acrylic kit he had too.

Too bad it was blown up at a show.

I think that huge bass drum in the new vid & promo for St's is cool.

I though WTF at first, but then I thought it was cool.

I liked that red acrylic kit he had too.

Too bad it was blown up at a show.

yeah, I was standing off stage when they blew it up...got pics up in the "Drummers" section...

I recently bought Motley Crue´s new album "Saints Of Los Angeles" and I was really impressed.
I have to say: that dude can play! Great grooves with great kickdrum work, and some great snare-tom-fills that fit the songs very well.
Hope they will come to europe this or next year, they still kick some ass. Especially Tommy still got it, I think he is now even better than back in the days.

You can't just judge tommy now you haven't seen everything he can do on drums and I think he is an excellent drummer he can do alot of stuff. His solo's are mainly about fun and he probably is better than most here that are bashing him he started playing when he was four and he's pretty damn good. Before you say you could of done better you should try out for yourself It's harder than it looks. Travis Barker is also a fine drummer he's got alot of talent but his latest solo on drummerworld was also about the fun of it! Flashing lights and a spinning drum platform that goes high it more about the visuals for that solo In my opinion And Tommy Lee is on the site just look! or type it....

In my opinion he's not that good for someone who started playing at 4 , if I would have had that far of a head start i think that I would be atleast twice as good as he is now dude!

On a side note I would love to experience playing drums upside down!! haha

My opinion is that Tommy Lee's a great drummer.He & the rest of the crue truly tipofied that genre in the 80's & paved the way for band's like Guns & Roses.Although if you've read the "Heroin Diaries" by Nikki sixx you'll know that GnR just could'nt keep up.Tommy's personal life aside,you can tell in his playing that he's constantly evolving.In an interview a while back he said that there is so many thing's he played in the 80's that he just would'nt play the same today because he nows himself that he's become a much more talented drummer.Bottom line-He's a talented & entertaining drummer & should be givin the praise & respect he deserves.Whether you like him or not.

In my opinion he's not that good for someone who started playing at 4 , if I would have had that far of a head start i think that I would be atleast twice as good as he is now dude!

On a side note I would love to experience playing drums upside down!! haha

Curious as to what you base this opinion on? Does he miss notes or misplay beats on albums or live that you have heard? Statements like this always make me shake my head.

In my opinion Mr. Lee is one of the best Rock drummers of all time. He is always looking for new ways to evolve as an artist and his showmanship on stage is second to none. His style of drumming drives the band forward relentlessly. The only odd thing is after hearing him live and on recordings his solos are somewhat different then his playing style. The solos are far from poor, just much different then his playing style and I really don't know of any other pro drummer that falls into that category. Mr. Lee rocks in my book!

Hi

I jus want to know how does Tommy do that stick trick where he hits the hi-hat and the snare with the stick and it jumps in to the air ? I,ve watched the Carnival of sins DVD hundreds of times and i don`t know how he does it.

Thanks

I used to watch him do that all the time in the Smoking in Boys Room video when I was a kid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDi0Q8qBxUw if you check out that link I try to do it on a cover video you can kind see a more open look at it around the 1:38 mark. It takes some practice but your snare has to be pretty level if you have a lot of tilt it wont work. Make sure you hit the snare pretty much in the middle of the head and just release your grip. The stick will rebound off the head and at that point you basically lightly flip your wrist up...that will guide the stick in the air. Dont confuse that with just flippin the stick in the air though (which I think is kinda stupid..lol) you actually use the force of the rebound off the snare so the harder you hit it...the higher it will go!! I dont know if that helps..let me know!

Last edited:
I happen to like Tommy Lee and think he's a solid drummer but he's no tech wiz. Then again for Motley Crue he doesn't need to be. He's solid and fun to watch. He's clearly better than the likes of Peter Criss of Kiss and Herman Rarebell of the Scorpions. I think some people here are letting Tommy's visuals enhance their perception of his actual drum chops. Let your ears be the ultimate judge, not your eyes.
www.electriceyes.us

He does good drumming on Too Fast For Love and Shout At The Devil albums.
Piece of your action, Bastard.

All the Best,

Hello, fellows.

Just to share a picture with you.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Tommy Lee.jpg
    Tommy Lee.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 2,768
The only amazing thing about Tommy Lee is his massive 40" bass drum!!!

Just seen CrueFest back in july and let me tell you The Crue still have it I don't. care what anybody says Tommy is still killing it and there still kicking ass.the last time I seen Motley was in 83' during the Shout at the Devil tour and that was a great show but with this show they got more money then back then and not as toxic as back then so the music was great but so was the pyro. it's nice too see a big 80's like concert again everybody afraid of pyro. nowadays everybody's afraid to put on a Big 80's type rock concert anymore.but I will have to say Mick Mars still has the chops but boy is he looking rough very frail you can tell his disease is progressing it takes a lot of courage to tour for him I'm sure.Buckcherry surprised me also a lot better then I thought they would be.Great concert all around.

Bonzolead

P.S. if my wife ever kicks me out of the house I could live in Tommy's bass drum LOL
love seeing the big kicks

Home Sweet Home......

Attachments

• Tommy big ass drum.jpg
    Tommy big ass drum.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 8,061
  • tommylee2008a.jpg
    tommylee2008a.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 5,792
I hated hair metal back in the 80s...still do. Posers, all of em. Fuzzbox on a guitar, dressing like chicks does not a metal band make.

That said, Motley Crue is the one band from that sad genre that I do like. I have never seen a band be so brilliantly crude and vulger as this flotsam. I can't believe ANY of them lived past the 1980s, let alone THEY ALL made it.

And their music and performance is good...it's not as candy-assed as much of their breathren.

Motley Crue in short...kicks ass.

Motley Crue are clever guys, they have found the way to survive through the times and years.

Cheers,

Hey Man,
I think any drummer worth his salt would know Tommy ain't no slouch. There are more technically sound drummers, but if you wanna rock, Tommy cat get it done. Great meter, never over plays, always plays for the song, flashy looks alright on stage and can kick butt if he needs to. What more can a band ask for? Who ever said anything bad about his abilities is clearly either a proghead, hates on the Crue or is just plain jealous!!!
Thanx,
Eric Scott
Old Pro

Hey Man,
I think any drummer worth his salt would know Tommy ain't no slouch. There are more technically sound drummers, but if you wanna rock, Tommy cat get it done. Great meter, never over plays, always plays for the song, flashy looks alright on stage and can kick butt if he needs to. What more can a band ask for? Who ever said anything bad about his abilities is clearly either a proghead, hates on the Crue or is just plain jealous!!!
Thanx,
Eric Scott
Old Pro

So i got the new Cruefest Dvd. And i figured out how his bass drum is rigged up. Hes got the 40 placed INFRONT of the 22. It's not inside.

I think the 40" bass drum looks very stupid, it hides most of Tommy because it is so huge, and the fact that it is placed infront of a 22" makes it even more pointless.

I'd like to just see him on a standard double or single kick set-up with no stupid props or anything, just let his talent shine and leave all the props for the stage or the rest of the band.

I don't get why he feels the need to have such elaborate props on his kit.

Can anyone help me with the tension specs that Tommy uses for his snare? I need to know the number that he torques his snare to??? Any help would be much appreciated Thanks

Back