SPDSX click set up with sample

Carl1969

Ok we are up and running, but not I have a new question. Can the spdx be set to start the click and the sample at the same time. Lets say I have a backing keyboard track ( Bon Jovi Living on a prayer (I know)) the Keys intro is a fade in and its hard to guess when to come in without a click. Is there a way upon trigger that intro that the click be activated?

I've read in forums(haven't tried it because I don't need it) but I think you can record/sample one measure of the click at the needed tempo. And then loop it. That way you're not wasting a huge file with just a click track. Then link the pads to start together. You'll need to edit this on a computer though.

I'd like to know if this works.

I like the idea of just making my own in the Sub section however does anyone know of any youtube videos on this subject.

I've read in forums(haven't tried it because I don't need it) but I think you can record/sample one measure of the click at the needed tempo. And then loop it. That way you're not wasting a huge file with just a click track. Then link the pads to start together. You'll need to edit this on a computer though.

That would mean that the click is sent to the PA, which means that the audience can hear it, unless the sample is mono and panned to one side (and the click to the other).

The loop length would have to be 100% accurate too, to avoid it slowly drifting out of sync with the sample.

I like the idea of just making my own in the Sub section however does anyone know of any youtube videos on this subject.

The "sub" doesn't work the way you'd hope it would, despite there being a "sub" sound for each pad, and a "sub" output. It's misleading, and they're unrelated.

What you can do is link a pad with another pad. One pad triggers a sample and goes to the main outs, and the linked pad firse at the same time and sends its sample - a click let's say - to the sub out, which can go just to you.

I'm not sure if you can make the linked pad a trigger input, so you don't lose a playing surface pad in the process. Seems like you could, although there are a few things the SPD-SX seems like it should do, but doesn't.

Bermuda

The "sub" doesn't work the way you'd hope it would, despite there being a "sub" sound for each pad, and a "sub" output. It's misleading, and they're unrelated.

. Seems like you could, although there are a few things the SPD-SX seems like it should do, but doesn't.

Bermuda

Yeah. One thing is that the subs don't loop.

It sounded like he recorded a non rhythmic sequence and just needed a 1 2 3 4 click at some point at/toward . If that is the case, he can just add another track via his recording software. If he puts it on a sub, he will have a separate volume control for the "click"

To assign a wav file to a sub, simply drag it into the sub (each pad has one) on the SPD software. You will have to make all othe radjustments on the unit. The software only downloads wavs and assigns them.

Thanks, that makes sense, space on the surface is the least of my worries at this point, The main goal is to be able to play a 3-4 minute sample and link it to the click for live performances.

I just listened to the song and an I can hear the tempo toward the end of the synth part.

If you want to hear it better, just make the accented parts a little louder. There is also some kind of tamborine/bell part that comes in with the bass. You could just make that part come in earlier.

is it posible to trigger two pads together by only hitting one (connected pads) and send one to main and the other to the headphones?

Last edited:
You can hit one pad, trigger it and another, and have them go to separate outputs, including headphones only. But, the phones always get the entire output. The options are Master & phones, or Sub & phones, or phones. That is to say, you will have everything in the phones all the time, so hopefully you don't mind hearing what's going to the other outputs.

Bermuda

it the trigger it to another pad that I'm having problems with. I have two pads, one going to master the other (click) going to phones. I just need to get them both to link.

Choose Menu, Kit, and Pad Link should be an option there. BTW, when pads are linked, you can hit/trigger either one to get both sounds.

This stuff is in the manual... :)

Ok new question, sampleing, I can hear the signal through my headphones but nothing is registering on the spdsx level indicator. whats wrong.

I was searching for a solution to an SPD-SX issue and came upon this old thread. I thought I'de bring it back because this forum isn't exactly busy :)

To answer Blackstone, it doesn't. It should, but it doesn't.

I have come into a situation where I need to conserve space and I'd love to simply loop the recorded click but there is a glitch in the SPD. In testing, I can clearly hear it happen just a "millisecond" at each loop. I don't know or care if its early or late. All I know is that it's jacked up and pissing me off :)

The issue I am researching is why my headphone output is extremely weak. Playing backing tracks, I'd like to have some personal and simple control over the click volume as well as the sample volume.

I figured out how to get it done but the headphone volume is just not there enough to make it work. At full volume, the track is not close to loud enough. At half volume, it's gone.

One of the tracks I'm working on is the same as the OP's :) It has a LOT of subtle backing and there is no way I can pick it out of the mix over the guitar,bass and vocals so I must be able to hear the click.

I'm trying to avoid sending it out to the PA and back to my phones/IEM because I'd real like some simple control within my reach. The SPD should give it to me, but apparently it does not.

Back