Drum Tuning iPhone App

Rob_iDrumTune

Hi all, I've just recently created an iPhone App to help drum tuning. It analyses the sound of the drum and tells you the fundamental frequency. There is also a display to show you the frequency spectrum, so you can pick out the frequencies of overtones too if you like. Initially it's in the iPhone App Store for just $1, so if you're interested please try it out and let me know any feedback please.

You can find it by searching 'idrumtune' in the iPhone app store. It also works on iPod touch. Or direct link here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/idrumtune/id519396124?ls=1&mt=8

There's a YouTube video of the software in action here (beta version demo before spectum view mode was introduced): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnOeLSqbmhg

And we're on Twitter here: http://twitter.com/#!/idrumtune

Hope you like, would love to hear some feedback :)

Cheers

Rob

http://www.idrumtune.com
https://www.facebook.com/iDrumTune
idt_screens_01b.jpg

Hey Alain - you read my mind! Yes we're hoping to incorporate a record keeping feature in future versions, which will of course be available as a free update to anyone who's already got the app. Please let us know any feedback you have when you get using the iDrumTune software.
Cheers.

How does this work? Your description states that it measures the strongest frequency of the drum. If there are overtones present then sometimes the overtone pitches can be stronger than the fundamental pitch of the drum, which is lost in the mix of tones. Do you have any way of filtering these tones?

I ask because I have a tunebot from overtone labs that does a phenominal job of filtering the unwanted frequencies and allowing you to find the true pitch the drum, and indeed the tuning at each lug, resonates at. Does this work basically as a chromatic tuner, like you can use currently on a guitar, or is there something more going on? I've tried using a chromatic tuner on a drum before but it just gets too confused.

Thanks in advance for your info.

And to expand what Netz Ausg is asking: The first and most challenging part of tuning a drum is getting the pitch of the head equal at all lugs. When doing that tuning you generally listen for the sound of the overtones right at the lug; you generally tap the drum head 1/2" to 1" from the rim. The fundamental of the drum is strongest when playing the drum in the exact center of the head. For that matter, would it be possible for it to display some or all of the frequencies detected, the fundamental and first few overtones? Then you'd have an even better idea of what the drum head was doing.

Hi all, thanks for your comments and questions - yes I've been working on the algorithm for years (you'll see a couple of academic papers over at http://www.idrumtune.com).

It is doing much more than a simple guitar tuner, you are right. The iDrumTune software looks at all the frequencies generated and uses a unique algorithm to select the fundamental to display. But actually the software also displays the full frequency spectrum in graphical form, so you can look closer and see what the overtones are at the same time. This way it's really simple to know which frequency you are looking at and measuring. Obviously the lowest frequency is the fundamental and the second is the first overtone which can, as you said yourself, be used to help tune around the perimeter of the drum.

Actually the benefit of using an iPhone is that you can move the microphone above the position of the lug you are tuning, so you get a very accurate reading of how the drum is vibrating at that exact lug. In my experience it is not possible to accurately tune each lug without moving the microphone to the point of excitation.

I hope that helps answer a few questions, feel free to keep them coming :) and thanks for your interest!

Rob

Out of curiosity, have you tried out a TuneBot? Since they're your direct competition I would expect you had.

Can you explain the key points of difference to me?

Also - any plans for Android/Windows Phone in the future?

Hi - yes the tunebot principle is exactly the same, but actually the complexities of drum tuning mean that a full graphical display is really important in my opinion. And given the fact that virtually everyone owns a powerful touch screen device these days, I don't fundamentally believe that bespoke hardware is the way forward long term - the prototyping costs make a business venture very risky. I'm currently working on menu driven features to allow users to save their prefered tunings and also to analyse decay times, which will be available in future versions, and as its just an iPhone app I can keep the cost many many times lower than hardware systems.

Yes, you can tune each lug to the same pitch, if you hold the phone and hit the drum in the centre you record the fundamental, if you hit the drum at the edge you get the overtone at the lug. If there's any confusion just look at the spectrum display and you'll usually see both frequencies recorded.

iDrumTune gives readings to an accuracy of 0.3 Hz, though it rounds this to the nearest 0.5 Hz. I'm afraid the fundamental mathematics associated with calculating frequencies of an impulsive signal mean that it is not scientifically possible to calculate to higher accuracy, and any system that claims otherwise is clearly trying to pull the wool over your eyes :) Actually in reality this accuracy is fine with respect to the sensitivity of our ears for short bursts of sound, so it is certainly sufficiently accurate.

And yes, Android version is in the pipeline - but we're a little way off a completion date! Thanks again for your comments!

Where were you two weeks ago (when I bought a Tune Bot)? :)

I had similar thoughts about unnecessarity (word? no) of custom hardware. Having better graphic capabilities is another huge bonus. Good luck with your venture.

gotta say the accuracy seems to be incredible, 8 hits of the drum, all between 145 and 148,
any chance you could upload a video with a drum being tuned from scratch with it ?
not the best tuner and would love to see if i can get my kit sounding better with your techniques.

Fuo, Nick G - many thanks again for your comments and feedback! Nick, good idea - we'll be making a number of tutorial videos over the next two months, so I'll certainly add one regarding tuning from scratch.

If you follow us on facebook or twitter you'll be sure to hear about the videos when they're uploaded. I'll post links on here too in due course.

Cheers,

Rob
www.iDrumTune.com

Hi Rob,

I thought for a mere EUR 0,79 I would give it a try.
I did a quick test next to my tune-bot. The readings seem pretty similar.
The tune-bot is a bit quicker than my iPhone 4 but the Spectrum View on the app is pretty cool.

Some remarks: it would be nice if there was an option to turn off the screensaver as my iPhone falls asleep if I wait too long. Also I would prefer to have the note displayed (could be left to the Hz value). Maybe also a filter mode?

And I like to have a drum stick in one hand to tap and a drumkey in my other hand to tune so that leaves no hand free for holding my iPhone. A clip like the tune-bot has is pretty handy. Perhaps there are some third party clips available for this.

I'll give it a better try this week when I have more time but it looks like it has potential.

Cheers, Eric

Hi all - Eric, many thanks for your detailed feedback. It's still early days for iDrumTune and future versions will be packed with additional features, improvements and options, so it's really good to hear your thoughts. If you can spare time to post ratings on the App store that would be really appreciated!

Nick - we'll be producing and posting a number of tutorial videos over the next two months, so I'll certainly make sure we have one on tuning from scratch!

Cheers
Rob

Just downloaded the app to my iPod touch. Started playing with it, around my kits. So far, my reaction is: It's fantastic!

However, the website seems a bit off. When I click on the large 'iDrumTune' logo, in the center, it takes me to a page for a band called 'Eureka Stockade'.

Ha ha - oops, that rogue weblink was left over from a previous webpage I was working on. All fixed now (thanks for pointing it out Jack!).

Thanks again for your feedback on iDrumTune. A few of the magazines are running features and reviews in the next month and there's an official press release here if it's useful to anyone:

iDrumTune Press Release

Hey Rob, this app is really something. I've now had some time to play with it and I'm blown away by how helpful a tool it has become in just two days.
My buddy shelled out money for a TuneBot and he's jealous that I got the iDrumTune app for a dollar, and mine's easier to use!

Hey Jack thats fantastic to hear - I'm really glad its become so useful for you. If you could spare a minute to give us a rating in the app store that would be fantastic please? Thanks again!

Back