Drummer stereotypes

African drumming and African music is much more based on rhythm and percussion than European influenced Western music. To imply that music is harmony and melody only is a fallacy. Timbre and rhythm can rule the roost. Then we would be mocking guitarists and keyboard players for not knowing the Mbaba or Kpanlogo.

I guess what I'm saying is Western music evolved with harmony and melody up front but that doesn't mean it had to. So a drummer that doesn't know what a dorian scale is is not less of a musician. We are between worlds.

Awhile back I was banging on the wood pile with two pieces of firewood, I asked my wife what she thought the first instrument ever invented was. Her reply,"Some dude blew into a sea shell.

...like anyother stereotype...

...and as frequently wrong/right.

Tolerance isn't just for provision to the just.

Intolerance is just against calls for violence or action causing harm....and its up to you to define "causing harm".

Not sure we have an "apartheid" situation on our hands...yet ; )

Brass players tend to be either very friendly or don't talk at all to drummers.

I've found most jazz and blues players and singers period totally respect drummers and are very helpful and totally friendly.

Bass guitar players, I've found, are either very friendly, helpful and approachable, or complete jerks.

Concert and symphony musicians I've found tend not to talk to drummers because they are so worried about their own parts. LOL

All of this is spot on! x)

Fortunately, my band appreciates me as a musician and a drummer. We're all in awe of each others' areas of specialty (yes, we play different instruments, but to extend that further, our individual strengths and weaknesses on our respective instruments compliment each other well, to the point that I don't think any of us could sub out a gig and it still be "us"), and there's absolutely no animosity. It's great!

Mind you, I have a PhD in maths too so maybe I can think of other defences...

Only a PhD? How dumb - ask any novice guitarist ;-)

Gradually the stereotype is being widdled away ...

Leaking out, even ...

Gee Grea!!! ..."blonde" AND a "drummer"... talk about "stereotypes"... your ears must have been ringing a lot back then... :)

Hadn't thought of that ... blonde, female and Australian drummer ... talk about evolutionary cul de sacs! Just as well I stopped bleaching ...

I see this attitude mostly from guitar players who have not been playing long or don't have experience gigging much, or large egos

Hit the nail on the head. Eventually they either gain some experience and start to get it or they give it away.

I guess what I'm saying is Western music evolved with harmony and melody up front but that doesn't mean it had to. So a drummer that doesn't know what a dorian scale is is not less of a musician. We are between worlds.

Good point (dorian's the root mode, innit?) ... I'd also add "white western music" given what the former slaves in the US did for western music! It's hard to imagine what music would have been like if not for them. We might have been chatting on TimpaniWorld and GlockenspielWorld.

Dorian is the mode that starts on the major second, if we're speaking in those relative terms (ie. D dorian is all white keys on a piano.)

The girls might put up posters of the singer and the boys might idolize the guitarist but everyone dances to the beat.

Back