Carter Beauford

Carter Beauford is a fantastic drummer!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody a Carter Beauford fan?

I became a Carter Beauford fan in 2002 when a friend introduced me to the DMB through a dvd. I automatically fell in love with His style; it was crazy man I was listening to so right and those chops in the chorus we crazy cool. Every time I see him play it blows me away.

Re: Anybody a Carter Beauford fan?

Carter's a monster player.........He's so unique in that he can play a fusion-ish style within a pop/rock context, and the music still sounds awesome. Great drummer.

Re: Anybody a Carter Beauford fan?

I always liked Carter Beauford. He never plays the same thing twice and totally passes it off while sounding great. Definately a funky player and a good musician.

my name is matt and i am 15 and have been playing for 9 years. Carter beauford is my absolute favorite drummer. the style of drumming he does most is referred to as linear drumming, where each drum beat is independent to another, if u listen closely u will notice he often never plays more then 1 drum at a given time, all independent. this style of drumming is very hard if your not used to it. this is why he is soo good, he has mastered linear drumming

Tthe only thing I can say is that this guy is a blast. What makes him so great is that you can guess when he's behind the kit and that for me is one of the characteristics of a great drummer. He should be off for more clinics and other demo's he has a style of his own and sounds great. His open handed playing also helps....

Carter Beauford is one of my top 5 favorite drummers because he is so creative and diverse. Check out his studio recording for "tripping billies" with DMB. it's amazing.

I completely agree with Raz and the others on this thread -- Carter IS a Legend. He is an amazing drummer, such that traditional words or comparisons do not apply -- because he is completely unique.

The proof is here folks: The man standing at the front of the stage is one of the most creative popular song writers of our time, a fantastic (and self taught) guitarist, a very funny and coy persoanlity that shines through brightly, great dance moves and good looks... and some how Carter shines just as brightly by simply banging a few sticks on some drums.

ANYONE that can hold ANY sort of candle to dave matthews is a Legend. The fact that 95% of the people on this thread EMPHATICALLY agree should tell you nay-sayers something.

Fat Elvis said:
The proof is here folks: The man standing at the front of the stage is one of the most creative popular song writers of our time, a fantastic (and self taught) guitarist, a very funny and coy persoanlity that shines through brightly, great dance moves and good looks... and some how Carter shines just as brightly by simply banging a few sticks on some drums.

ahem .... is this a valid argument or an opinion ??

geek_boy_in said:
ahem .... is this a valid argument or an opinion ??

its both -- in case you have not noticed, these are all opinions. This is a message board, not an MIT Think Tank. Friendly discussion is what we do here. But I stand behind my comments about both Dave Matthews and Carter Beuford. Both are two of the very best in what they do.

Fat Elvis said:
The man standing at the front of the stage is one of the most creative popular song writers of our time, a fantastic (and self taught) guitarist, a very funny and coy persoanlity that shines through brightly, great dance moves and good looks.

Very well put...........and having Carter backing him up.......................*Indescribable* Let alone the rest of the band! I see the DMB...being a rock & roll hall of fame inductee very soon.

*Give a listen to Carters opening to the song (Say Goodbye) if some of you haven't heard it.*

One of my favorite drummers mainly for his style on the hat. I play a lot like him but with a Real real definate funk sound.

I'm in a serious DMB cover Band, finally, and it feels good playing along with Carter's approach and method. But open-handed is key to alot of sneaky hi-hat and ride combo's that Carter is known for. I got my open-handed training back in 1992-2000 with the man Simon Phillips. In my opinion if your going to be in a cover Band its important to be 100% accurate with the chops, fills, feel, etc....... Thanks to Simon I'm able to hang with Carter's "live material" without switching up to the ride on my right (which makes things way easier)... But I still find myself switching up here and there......LOL

But yeah................

Carter is a top notch player along with my other favorite Chuck Morris.

Dap.

I was really into DMB when I was in high-school, then kind of kept expanding my listening and playing and kind of forgot how great a drummer Carter is. I recently found a live recording in my girlfriends Ipod and can't stop listening to it. He is amazingly creative and controlled, and an incredible drummer to listen to. HOWEVER, I would encourage all of you to check out some of the gospel drummers today and you'll definately hear some similarities. I know it's hard to know what to buy, so here's a suggestion. Bishop Larry D. Trotter and the Sweet Holy Choir from Chicago. The drummers name is Calvin Williams I think and he is awesome.

One more thing about Carter. He is great, he's the man, he's an awesome force on the kit, but he's also famous. There are still a lot of cats out there that are just waiting to get discovered. Keep an eye out for Thaddeus Dixon from Detroit.

Have to agree with everyone on here that carter is purely amazing. most of my background for drumming comes from gospel and jazz but man carter can play like no other from funk to rock and roll to anything. his hi-hat work simply incredible, something i dream of doing. i highly recommended "under the table and drumming" to any drummer out there.he can be imitated but never duplicated.

Garuda said:
He is one of my favourite drummers. I know that he is left handed but plays right handed easily. (usually plays cross handed) Also he is ambidextrous (plays with left and right hands equally) When he started play drums he was only 3 years ago. He plays in dawe matthews band also played with carlos santana and many many others...

He uses his own promark signature series ; Carter beauford 5AB model. (5AB is different , standart 5a weight but peak tickness is 5B.

His setup ;

CarterKit.gif

spacer.gif

07. 13"x51/2" Ocheltree bronze snare
spacer.gif

08. 13" Ocheltree bronze timbale
spacer.gif

09. 14" Ocheltree bronze timbale......

This is a wonderful diagram, unfortunatley it's about 4 years out of date. Carter switched to Remo this summer and he has been using a number of Dunnett Classic snare drums since 2001. Those would include 2 - 6.5 x 13" Titanium snare drums (one in translucent purple, one raw), a 6.5 x 14 Titanium with Titanium hoops (raw) and on this last album and tour a 5.5 x 14 Titanium (trans. purple). Carter is also using a 5.5" x 10 titanium accent snare and a 7" x 13" titanium timbale (polished with CR hoop).

Since there are obviously so many Carter fans I thought I might share a picture of his kit with everyone. This was taken in August 2005 at the Gorge, Washington. Enjoy!

Carterkit.jpg

carterA.jpg

carterfisheye.jpg

Back