Evans Black Chrome

Muckster

Platinum Member
Has anyone heard or tried the New Black Chrome heads from Evans?

Black heads only go with certain drums in my opinion and I'm afraid what the sound would be . maybe a bit plastic but will wait to see. I still like white or clear heads.

I was just playing those on a DW Performance kit this past Saturday. They were shiny black, which sort of turns me off to begin with, but they did make noise when I hit them, which is a good thing. I didn't study them enough to give an accurate assessment because from the very beginning, they weren't my cup of tea when looking down into the eyes of death, lol.

Dennis

I tried the Black Chrome heads last night on my touring kit toms: 12, 13 & 16" (Ludwig Keystone oak/maple/oak.)

The sound seems very G2 to me, and indeed they're just .5 mil thicker on the bottom ply (7 mil top, 7.5mil btm, compared to 7 & 7 on the G2.) I didn't find that the sustain was particularly short, the smaller toms had a nice ring to them. In fact, I had to tape up my floor tom because the decay was too long.

The "R" company used to market their ebony heads as sounding darker, and there may be something to that with the Black Chrome, it's hard to say without a proper a/b comparison. But they sound good, and I'm not in a hurry to change them out (despite loving the G14 batters for several months.)

I think the allure with these is the appearance, and they do look especially great with the Black Abalone finish on my kit! Well, at least from where I sit! :)

Only possible drawback is that they show fingerprints and stick marks immediately. But I don't worry about that, my gear isn't being used for a photo shoot.

Bermuda

Thank you Mr. Bermuda for the extensive review. We are so happy you are enjoying the heads! The Black Chromes were created for those looking for accentuated low tones and add a ton of attack. Here is a link to a great demo of the heads from the drummer connection- http://youtu.be/zZ3BIa8X7Rg If anyone has any questions regarding the Black Chromes please don't hesitate to ask!

I played some on a Tama Starclassic Performer at PASIC and they were insanely low (in a good way). I think most of it was the drums- I've played another one with clear stock heads on it- but regardless, I'm trying these out soon. I like the look as well, though I would probably prefer a white version (I believe Remo makes something like this but I don't think they have the clear ply on there to protect stick tips).

I don't think the black chrome heads are new... I think I've seen some in the old EVANS boxes (you know, without the oval around it). I think Carter Beauford used them in his instructional video from '96 on his toms, but I might be wrong. Pretty sure they've been out for awhile but I might have just been dreaming or something.

Anyways I know they are super shiny, I saw my reflection in them when I took them out of the package. Really, for those who practice with a mirror - why bother? lol...good for those moments on stage where you can whip out the comb because you realize your hair isn't perfectly parted...or your make up is running...whatever floats your boat

I saw them on a kit at my Ma and Pa store, and they seemed a little dead to me and this was the opinion of the store manager, but it would also depend on the reso heads for sustain to a degree.

I tried the Black Chrome heads last night on my touring kit toms: 12, 13 & 16" (Ludwig Keystone oak/maple/oak.)

The sound seems very G2 to me, and indeed they're just .5 mil thicker on the bottom ply (7 mil top, 7.5mil btm, compared to 7 & 7 on the G2.) I didn't find that the sustain was particularly short, the smaller toms had a nice ring to them. In fact, I had to tape up my floor tom because the decay was too long.

The "R" company used to market their ebony heads as sounding darker, and there may be something to that with the Black Chrome, it's hard to say without a proper a/b comparison. But they sound good, and I'm not in a hurry to change them out (despite loving the G14 batters for several months.)

I think the allure with these is the appearance, and they do look especially great with the Black Abalone finish on my kit! Well, at least from where I sit! :)

Only possible drawback is that they show fingerprints and stick marks immediately. But I don't worry about that, my gear isn't being used for a photo shoot.

Bermuda

Bermuda, thanks for the report. What were you using for bottom heads with these?

I don't think the black chrome heads are new... I think I've seen some in the old EVANS boxes (you know, without the oval around it). I think Carter Beauford used them in his instructional video from '96 on his toms, but I might be wrong. Pretty sure they've been out for awhile but I might have just been dreaming or something.

Anyways I know they are super shiny, I saw my reflection in them when I took them out of the package. Really, for those who practice with a mirror - why bother? lol...good for those moments on stage where you can whip out the comb because you realize your hair isn't perfectly parted...or your make up is running...whatever floats your boat

They are in fact quite new. We launched them at Summer NAMM this year. If there were any heads in older boxes, someone must have switched them around in the store.

Glad to hear you're digging them!

I put a set on my Tama Starclassic birch kit recently. I like them. They are low and have nice sustain. They don't have a ton of attack, which I like.

that's odd actually, since they are supposed to have more a good amount of attack.

Bermuda, thanks for the report. What were you using for bottom heads with these?

I'm using G1 clear resos on just about every kit I currently use - Legacy, Keystone and Classic Maple.

Bermuda

Back