A peek inside JoJo Mayers head...

Thanks SickRick.

If this is from the DVD, do you know if the last solo on the DVD is transcribed somewhere? I'm referring to the solo that is themed around the hands playing in unison, Thanks again.

Does anybody know how Jojo does the conga thing on his snall tom where he gets that big woooosh sound? Is that mentioned in his dvd?

More JoJo from this video.

Check it out and have fun with it. Of course, this one is played with a little swing to it and he uses basically the exact same licks as in Performance 3. The grooves in this one are really insane though... (again check the PDF if you want to print)

Attachments

• JoJo Mayer groove for DW.pdf
    37.2 KB · Views: 299
  • JoJo Mayer groove for DW_0001.jpg
    JoJo Mayer groove for DW_0001.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 7,066
  • JoJo Mayer groove for DW II_0002.jpg
    JoJo Mayer groove for DW II_0002.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 8,059
you know just to be like jojo, and to make it look Very hard, people will actually stick out their tongue during the bass drum strikes!!! (and i am one of those people)

but seriously, you sickrick are an absolute credit to the forum, and are putting in some serious man hours!!

Does anybody know how Jojo does the conga thing on his snall tom where he gets that big woooosh sound? Is that mentioned in his dvd?

He just hits the tom with his right hand and then bends the tone up by pressing the middle/index finger of his left hand in the head and slides the finger to the centre of the tom. Quite easy - check my first transcription, there is a "bend up" somwhere in there (page two or three I guess).

Everybody else: thanks for the thanks, hehe.

I have an anouncement: "Performance 1" of JoJos DVD soon to be completed and posted here. I'm about half way through but it's difficult as hell, so have some patience. I have also figured out some JoJos stick-twirling stuff at the end of the 1998 modern drummer festival, but I think a transcription doesn't help. Maybe I'll put up a video lesson if people are interested in that (it'll take at least a month though because I don't have my drumset in my practise room until then).
Just let me know if you are interested.

Cheers and shed some wood on this.

I'm very interested :)
Lutz man, you should get a medal or something for this, you're really giving korompay a run for his money here, lol.

OK, just a quick update:

I've had a severe Computercrash that involved one Wii-Nunchuk Controler, a glass of applejuice and my notebook. No more details needed.

I'll get back to it asap, but right now all my data seems to be drowned in applejuice. Also, I only had one installed version of Sibelius on my Laptop. Damn.

No worries.... I have a backup but it'll take a while until I'll get back to transcribing things. Performance 1 is coming - it's just coming with a little delay.

Lutz! You're a god!

That's so awesome man, thanks a lot. I've been meaning to transcribe some of Jojos performances for a while, but now I don't have to! haha

I just thought I'd say, I was told that Jojo is Ambidexterous, which might explain the left handed fills. I always try and start a lot of fills with my left hand, cause it's good practice and it feels cool to do.

Also, it's pretty cool that your surname is Mayer. The drum skills must run through the name!

T

OK, just a quick update:

I've had a severe Computercrash that involved one Wii-Nunchuk Controler, a glass of applejuice and my notebook. No more details needed.

I'll get back to it asap, but right now all my data seems to be drowned in applejuice. Also, I only had one installed version of Sibelius on my Laptop. Damn.

No worries.... I have a backup but it'll take a while until I'll get back to transcribing things. Performance 1 is coming - it's just coming with a little delay.

Not as bad as my mate at Uni. First week of University, he decided - whilst very, very drunk, to relieve himself into his laptop. Naturally it didn't work and he'd dropped over £1,000 on it just over a month before.

*Finally*​

After some serious Computer problems, some heavy giggin with my band, setting up my own drum-recording studio (more about that later, after I got some sleep), whilst preparing to open my own drumschool......

I decided to sit down some more nights and transcribe some stuff. I had a real hard time with some of the craziness happening, but I'm pretty positve that the outcome is fairly precise. I'll take a closer look on it when I have gotten some sleep.

So without any further delay, here is JoJo Mayers "Performance 1" transcribed in detail with all the little gimmicks and blablabla. I hope someone will have a go on this one.... OK, I'll drop all the talking for now. I'll be back here tomorrow to post some more info and to answer possible questions. I'll try to get Bernhard to host the video here and put this to the clinic section as well...

For now: have fun, enjoy, don't get depressed that you can't play as fast as JoJo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCfDT4uS_Hg

(sorry - the beginning is missing on YouTube.... get the DVD for that matter. You should own that DVD anyway :) )

Attachments

• JoJo Mayer Performance 1 Complete.pdf
    69.3 KB · Views: 403
John Riley here:

Very nice work.

Based on JoJo phrasing, I hear beat "1" where you have beat "2." I could be wrong but, I think, all his phrases make more sense from this perspective.

John

Hey John!

Great that you had a look at this and commented. This is a real honour for me since you are one of my drumming heros and I've spent countless hours working on your books and your transcriptions (especially Picture 3).
I started drums with a teacher who actually was one of your students in New York (which is a real big thing for a kid from the german hinterland): Hans Fickelscher. Maybe you remember him, he spent one year in NYC many years ago and studied with Pierre Favre later on. He got me started on drums with Syncopation and Stick Control and went to your books from there - I really feel that I owe everything that I have ever learnt about drumming to him and through the books I worked out of also to you. So thank you for writing them!

About the "1": I really wasn't sure about that the whole time through. Actually, I've changed that quite a few times and even thought that the whole thing might be in 5 or 7 or some other odd meter.

Like you, I think some things make more sense, if my 2 would be the 1. On the other hand, he ends and starts some phrases where I decided to put the 1, especially in the end and the beginning (the part which is cut out on YouTube).

To make it short: I had no idea and even thought about writing this out without a real meter... but I had to decide for one thing and this could as well be wrong. Maybe I should offer two different versions of this, so everybody can go what he feels better with.

Once again: Thanks a ton for this comment and for having a look at that piece of work. I'm really happy for all input.

Lutz

John Riley here:

Gentlemen, I spoke to JoJo today about that solo. He is on the road now but sang the synth riff to me. I stand corrected; Lutz's transcription is correct.

Lutz, I am glad my books are helpful.

Please send my best to Hans F.

John

Lutz.

As somebody who is far inferior as a drummer (and indeed musician) I can't offer any helpful advice. Particularly with regards to any performance you might give of the piece itself. I wanted, mostly, to express my respect for you and the kind of work that you can do and choose to share.

Lutz.

As somebody who is far inferior as a drummer (and indeed musician) I can't offer any helpful advice. Particularly with regards to any performance you might give of the piece itself. I wanted, mostly, to express my respect for you and the kind of work that you can do and choose to share.

Yes Me too!
Couldn't have said it any better...

Does anyone know what JoJo is doing in the first 2 measures of the Central Park Street Beat on his DVD? It seems to be some variation of a Pataflafla but I'm not sure.

Back