Anyone ever pull a gun at practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't own a gun and in all likelihood never will. That does not mean I'm anti-gun though for the sane people who are capable of managing the process of "bearing arms".

Stupidity and ignorance at that level shouldn't be ignored.

I'm just curious, but is there a reason that you probably would never own a gun? I know it is a personal decision, and have no problem with anyone's decision to own or not own a gun. But I do often wonder why that some people seem to not want to own one when they have no issues with gun ownership. Again, this is just curiosity.

As far as stupidity and ignorance, I couldn't agree more.

Curious if this has ever happened to rogue_drummer. If it's never happened to him, you KNOW it's bad!

That dude is an idiot. I'm indifferent towards guns. I just don't give a crap about them. I don't think about them at all. I've never needed a gun, so I don't own a gun. Nobody messes with me. I do, however, know how to shoot a gun and the proper handling of a gun. I don't care how cool a person thinks his gun is, there is a time and place for it. Certainly not at band practice. If that happened to me, I'm not sure how I would think about it.

I'm just curious, but is there a reason that you probably would never own a gun? I know it is a personal decision, and have no problem with anyone's decision to own or not own a gun. But I do often wonder why that some people seem to not want to own one when they have no issues with gun ownership. Again, this is just curiosity.

The chance of you, a family member or a guest getting shot goes up astronomically if you keep a gun in the home. If you do not have a gun in your home, it is pretty much impossible for anyone to be accidentally shot in your home, or intentionally shot with a gun you own. That fact alone is good enough reason for many people to not want a firearm in their home. Keeping that in mind, most guns in homes never shoot anyone, intentionally or not.

Are you kidding me?

This person is not qualified to own a weapon , i would have had him arrested on the spot.

I see a firearm=I'm gone. Forever, unless I'm given a really good explanation and basically begged to stay. This has only happened once, a long time ago.

Let's get serious here. Guns. Firearms. These things have no place in places where art is being created and worked on. If you disagree, then go make your own work space, but keep it a good distance away, and well signposted.

For whatever reason I simply don't have much interest. I grew up in a home with a dad that was a hunter. I got his shotgun in his later years before he passed. Held onto it for about 10 years and was able to finally give it to my father-in-law who now hunts with it.

The chance of you, a family member or a guest getting shot goes up astronomically if you keep a gun in the home. If you do not have a gun in your home, it is pretty much impossible for anyone to be accidentally shot in your home, or intentionally shot with a gun you own. That fact alone is good enough reason for many people to not want a firearm in their home. Keeping that in mind, most guns in homes never shoot anyone, intentionally or not.

I totally understand this and could not agree more, however, this is where lack of education comes to play (I feel). We have 3 firearms (for now) in my home, and I have made sure that all of my family members, including children, understand what a gun does and can potentially do, how each one operates, how to use them, and how to maintain them. Because of this, it is almost as if we have no firearms. They are never brought out, shown off, played with, or even thought of. They have no more importance than say, my TV, because the curiosity is simply not there. They are just another thing in my house.

I've owned more than 50 guns (only have about 10 at the moment).

I love guns, though... Where I live, everybody must love gun owners, because when I drive to/from work, I just wave my gun out of the window all the way there, and everybody is just so nice, they get out of my way.

People are so friendly. Guns really bring a community together. Wanna see? Just fire a shot in the air, and watch the crowds gather. Some people bring their own light shows (those bring their own guns and point them back at me in recognition).

I've owned more than 50 guns (only have about 10 at the moment).

I love guns, though... Where I live, everybody must love gun owners, because when I drive to/from work, I just wave my gun out of the window all the way there, and everybody is just so nice, they get out of my way.

People are so friendly. Guns really bring a community together. Wanna see? Just fire a shot in the air, and watch the crowds gather. Some people bring their own light shows (those bring their own guns and point them back at me in recognition).

^ Like. ^

my state (North Carolina) just passed a bill that will allow concealed weapons not only in public parks, but also in bars. what could go wrong there ?

i guess my days of playing in NC bars are over. i will have to relocate.

To The Assembled: sell me on your state (or country).

^ Like. ^

my state (North Carolina) just passed a bill that will allow concealed weapons not only in public parks, but also in bars. what could go wrong there ?

This sounds like a good law. You might need to waste some sad sounding band. Or maybe an annoying kid. Power to the people.

After el-stupido shoots someone with that laser-guided pea-shooter by accident, I guarantee the first words flying out of his mouth will be:

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. It was an accident."

It's called reckless endangerment. Think of your parents or wife or kids if they found out you were shot or God forbid, dead.

People who do crap like that are a special kind of stupid.

I own several pistols and a rifle and have always been around guns. I enjoy recreational shooting quite a bit and I take the home defense stuff pretty seriously, too. Thankfully I was raised to treat firearms with a great deal of respect. I had to prove I could safety check a gun for years before I was even allowed to shoot. Safety comes before anything else with gun ownership.

Another aspect of gun ownership that I didn't realize until a few years after owning a few of my own was respecting that many people are uncomfortable around guns. I don't subscribe to the "shove it down their throats" style of ownership. I prefer discretion. While I might not understand the fear some people have for guns, I still respect it because if our roles were reversed, I would want my feelings to be respected.

I guess if you like hunting or target shooting that's cool. But for home defense, get real. How many gun owners have actually successfully defended their homes vs how many have either accidentally or in anger have shot someone who did not deserve it?

Somehow the rest of the world manages to get by without an armed populace.

I guess if you like hunting or target shooting that's cool. But for home defense, get real. How many gun owners have actually successfully defended their homes vs how many have either accidentally or in anger have shot someone who did not deserve it?

I don't have the stats. But I do know that it happens, and that it can happen to anybody at any time. My in-laws live in a very affluent neighborhood in Houston...the neighborhood that you'd think never sees any sort of crime. In the last 12 months there have been 5 reported home invasions that happened during daylight hours. The residents were held captive while their homes were ransacked. A few of them were beaten. It can happen, and it does.

Some parts of the globe, perhaps they do. Regardless, that ship sailed for the U.S a pretty long time ago. Our history and culture has been brewing with guns a part of the recipe for hundreds of years. Attempting to solve the riddle of American gun violence by replacing it with a Utopian ideologue is futile....and incredible silly to boot.

I don't have the stats. But I do know that it happens, and that it can happen to anybody at any time. My in-laws live in a very affluent neighborhood in Houston...the neighborhood that you'd think never sees any sort of crime. In the last 12 months there have been 5 reported home invasions that happened during daylight hours. The residents were held captive while their homes were ransacked. A few of them were beaten. It can happen, and it does.

Some parts of the globe, perhaps they do. Regardless, that ship sailed for the U.S a pretty long time ago. Our history and culture has been brewing with guns a part of the recipe for hundreds of years. Attempting to solve the riddle of American gun violence by replacing it with a Utopian ideologue is futile....and incredible silly to boot.

I'm not going to get into a gun debate here but you mentioned that people had their homes broken into and they were held hostage. Frankly, anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. I would need to see stats. But, just a quick question, do you know if any of those Texans (whom I assume have guns) actually defended their homes successfully with their guns?

And I know that that ship sailed long ago regarding guns in the US.

It's kind of funny that a New Yorker and a Texan are discussing guns. Anyone can tell how that is going to end up. For those outside the US, New York has the toughest gun control laws in the States and Texas is one of the champions of the pro-gun debate.

Anyway, lets just agree to disagree because we certainly are not going to convince the other of anything.

Take care.

I totally understand this and could not agree more, however, this is where lack of education comes to play (I feel). We have 3 firearms (for now) in my home, and I have made sure that all of my family members, including children, understand what a gun does and can potentially do, how each one operates, how to use them, and how to maintain them. Because of this, it is almost as if we have no firearms. They are never brought out, shown off, played with, or even thought of. They have no more importance than say, my TV, because the curiosity is simply not there. They are just another thing in my house.

Understood. But the original question was, why would someone not want to keep firearms in the house? Answer: because the chance of an accidental shooting pretty much drops to zero.

You didn't state if you keep your guns disabled or locked or locked up. If you don't, any other kid wandering into the home might find the gun and you don't know their level of training. Kids will tell you anything you want to hear at the time, but when you're not around, they may well tell a friend, "Psssst, wanna see my dad's gun? It's not locked or anything. It's just like one of those in the movies .... "

I'm not going to get into a gun debate here but you mentioned that people had their homes broken into and they were held hostage. Frankly, anecdotal evidence is irrelevant. I would need to see stats. But, just a quick question, do you know if any of those Texans (whom I assume have guns) actually defended their homes successfully with their guns?

And I know that that ship sailed long ago regarding guns in the US.

It's kind of funny that a New Yorker and a Texan are discussing guns. Anyone can tell how that is going to end up. For those outside the US, New York has the toughest gun control laws in the States and Texas is one of the champions of the pro-gun debate.

Anyway, lets just agree to disagree because we certainly are not going to convince the other of anything.

Take care.

I find it odd that you would begin your post with saying that you don't want to debate guns, then mention points as though debating, they say that you don't want to talk any more about it. If you really mean you don't want to debate something, you would just say that and then write a period and nothing more.

^ Like. ^

Armed people in bars should be encouraged. People stupid enough to arm themselves and then enter a place that exists for the purpose of alcohol consumption, should be encouraged to wipe each other out.

this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back