Putting myself out there ( uncle Larry, this ones for you)

UPDATE:

Met with the duo earlier tonight. It went fantastic. They gave me a partial set list and they are right in my wheelhouse (except for maybe the Lady Gaga - lol) They seem pretty laid back and it doesn't seem like their expectations are anything beyond my abilities (keep a steady beat, be willing to play a variety of music, have fun). They are coming to the house on Saturday and we'll try a few songs and see how it goes but I'm thinking this could be a really good fit. The boyfriend will have to sit this one out as this is an all-girl band, which in all reality is probably another plus for me. I'll feel more comfortable.

I have to admit, I'm more excited about this than I thought I would be. I'm really hoping this happens. I'll let you know how Saturday goes. :)

Put the show on Skype so we can all watch live

This forum is the greatest support group ever, lol. All kidding aside, it is.

I'm (for some strange reason) really excited for you, and am wishing you the best of luck!

So tomorrow at 3 pm is my actual "audition" with the band. One of them emailed me today asking what songs I wanted to do off the list she gave me. I've had absolutely no time to even look at these songs (and I told her that) but here's the ones I suggested:

Joan Jett, Hate Myself for Loving You
Kid Rock, All Summer Long
KT Tunstall, Black Horse and the Cherry Tree
and then any of the Fleetwood Mac and CCR tunes they had listed.

These are all, especially the first three, ones I felt that had a strong but easy beat to them that, if nothing ese, I can keep good time on. I'll go over them tonight and in the morning with what little time I have and then we'll see what happens.

Last night at lessons my teacher asked if I wanted to go over any songs and I told him no. Said I wanted to go in "raw" and let them know exactly what my natural abilities were instead of going in and over-impressing them with one or two well-rehearsed songs giving them a false sense of my skills. He seemed to think that was the right decision...I hope so. As long as the nerves don't get the best of me, I think it will be okay :)

Send good drumming vibes my way tomorrow!

Last night at lessons my teacher asked if I wanted to go over any songs and I told him no. Said I wanted to go in "raw" and let them know exactly what my natural abilities were instead of going in and over-impressing them with one or two well-rehearsed songs giving them a false sense of my skills. He seemed to think that was the right decision...I hope so. As long as the nerves don't get the best of me, I think it will be okay :)

Send good drumming vibes my way tomorrow!

"Raw" is good Mary, if anything it'll be a good challenge for you, as well as a first impression in your "audition", however, it's not unusual to rehearse songs for an audition, lol.

You're right about the "nerves" factor, a lot comes from a state of mind, be as relaxed as possible, focus on the music and do not think, just play as you feel it, you'll be ok, I just know it :)

I will indeed send plenty of positive drumming thoughts your way tomorrow, good lu... no, break a leg as they say!!!

Good ad. You might not get a lot of responses, but the ones you get may work out great. Don't forget the people who used to play back in the day and quit to raise a family and now have time to play again after 20 or 30 years,

Bring your good set of ears. Also when you make a mistake, don't obsess over it, it's done. Move on. Have fun.

WOW, WOW, WOW! How much fun was that? After stressing for the last 24 hours the girls came over and then we conquered! Okay, so it wasn't Zep or Rush or anything but we played and it's the most fun I've had in a really long time: ) And yes, Uncle Larry, you were right...lol.

Absolutely nothing fancy but kept the beats, even on songs I'd never played before, and even threw in a little fill or two here and there when it felt right :) THAT really impressed them...lol. Evidently their previous drummer could barely do a simple rock beat so I really didn't have much to live up to. However I have to say I've never been prouder than when after the second song they looked at each other and said...not that's a real drummer!!!

Now I'm the first to say there was absolutely nothing impressive in what I was doing but I was happy that there wasn't a song I couldn't at least come up with something and I kept up with them okay. I think this band thing might work out! :) We meet again in two weeks (One of them is leaving on vacation or we'd do it sooner) and we'll see what happens then.

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement that got me here. Lots of work to do but what a great first session. Yep, I'm hooked on this playing with others thing....so much less stressful than I ever thought it would be :)

...so much less stressful than I ever thought it would be :)

Here ya go Mary... we've been saying it all along, super happy it went all well, your dedication paid off and you were called a real drummer, that's must be the icing on the cake (ice cream?)

We knew deeply in our heart it would go well, your perseverance and positive attitude could only end up with some results, and it's only the beginning, you gonna have years of fun and music playing with others as from now on... the next step is a gig, lol, but you'll be fine...

Congratulations :)

Sniff...that's my girl right there....so proud Mary. Compliments from other players can really make a persons day too, right? Congratulations on being successful with your CL respondees right out of the gate. Keep us posted about every future practice too. You did record it, right?

How long did you play for? Did YOU like how THEY played? Now that you've popped your cherry, the anxiety about it should be gone. Your future looks rosy.

(Fist Pump)

Way to go Mary! Hope this is just the beginning for you =)

Mary,

I don't know you and you don't know me but I've enjoyed reading your posts.

Congratulations. Enjoy the ride.

Sniff...that's my girl right there....so proud Mary. Compliments from other players can really make a persons day too, right? Congratulations on being successful with your CL respondees right out of the gate. Keep us posted about every future practice too. You did record it, right?

How long did you play for? Did YOU like how THEY played? Now that you've popped your cherry, the anxiety about it should be gone. Your future looks rosy.

I was so into it, I forgot to record it :( we played for about 90 minutes. For the most part I enjoyed their playing...the best part was their attitude very laid back and mostly into it for the fun. The one big thing we'll have to work on is ins and outs of songs...they are in tune with each other and the arrangements where I was not. All in time. I. Hoping for a gig out by late summer :).

So that's Brilliant. Lovely. Smashing. You now have a new thing in your life that will up the quality of your pitiful existence lol. Sounds like you lucked in to a good "team". Plus it's always great to hear your band members diss the old drummer to you lol.

So you now have "band members" lol. You can officially say that now.

It's nice to know they have some arrangements down together. So when is the next rehearsal? Do the other 2 both sing? What about you? Are you planning on singing too?

A gig by late summer eh? Pretty ambitious. Look at you. Planning gigs and stuff. This is a proud day here at DrummerWorld. I am so so happy for you. Way to go Mary.

Well done that woman!! I have a bit of a vested interest, because from what little I know/have gathered, you sound a lot like me and I know how I'd feel if I were in your shoes: pretty damn proud.

That's friggin' killer!!! sounds like it was a good fit all around -- so cool to hear you're having fun and apparently knocking their socks off in the process!!! Well played...

Peace,
Mike

WOW, WOW, WOW! How much fun was that? After stressing for the last 24 hours the girls came over and then we conquered! Okay, so it wasn't Zep or Rush or anything but we played and it's the most fun I've had in a really long time: ) And yes, Uncle Larry, you were right...lol.

Haha Mary, your post has left me laughing and smiling in a crowded food court over in Sydney.

Hook line and sinker. You are so hooked you are a goner, welcome to the party. Great thing is, it keeps getting better.

Well done! And all the best from moving forward.

Back