Dixon Magnetic Drop Clutch

zap1789

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Magnetic Drop Clutches that Dixon has... They seem to me like a brilliant idea, and a really innovative design, but I'm almost positive there has to be a catch...

inventor_series_07.jpg

http://usa.playdixon.com/inventor_series.aspx?id=Clutch

The Inventor Series Trip Arm seems like a less-good idea... I would never be able to use that... but the drop clutch its self looks pretty cool...

Anyone used it?

Dixon was the brand those clutches started to get advertised recently.
Basically it's a Billdidit design - I've bought their Coady Clutch (I actually bought the Coady Combo) some months ago, it's a super cool design. Many consider this thing the best drop clutch on the market. I agree it's superb but actually have very limited experience with other clutches, but I'm 100% satisfied with it and won't look elsewhere. (I need a 2nd one now, having started using a 2nd set of hihats recently though.)

Here's the "initial" product/manufacturer website:
http://www.billdidit.ca/

If you search for "Coady Clutch" on this forum you'll find more info, this clutch has already been discussed.

One minor thing though... The design itself is great and works like a charm. But I noticed that the overall height is a bit massive, and the hihat bar on one of my hihat stand is a bit short so when I install the Coady Clutch there is no excess bar visible on the top of the clutch due to the height of the clutch design. In my setup I can get away with it, but there wasn't much space left.

PS: The amount of tightening on those 6 top screws sets the ease of drop action. I tightened those screws a little more than they came from stock as I was hearing a slight clicking sound when operating the hihat with the foot. Now this clicking sound has gone but the drop function is a bit stiffer now. You have to experiment for yourself and find a setting which will work for you.

go to dixon website, they have instruction for it. The clutch works well, but their marketing really confuses me.

Drop Clutches

I'm looking at getting a drop clutch and I'm leaning towards a magnetic one. So there seems to be two manufactures that make the same clutch, Dixon and Billdidit. Does anyone know if there is any difference between the clutches these companies make?

Re: Drop Clutches

Billdidit invented that drop clutch. A while later they had Dixon market that very same product, that's all. Those clutches are identical, just rebranded.
I guess the reasoning was that it was easier to sell via Dixon/with Dixon as a (wider known) brand.

Back