Beginner mixer

MediocrityMaster

Would that be an okay mixer to start off with?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-MultiMix-8-USB-FX-Regular-106070378-i1545212.gc

i think thats a pretty good price, but i dont know the quality of Alesis stuff, i know they make electronic drumsets too, but i dont know how this mixer would work out. i was thinking maybe a snare mic, bass mic, and then two overheads.

i've heard bad things about the effects built in, but i dont really plan on using those

if there are any alternatives for around the same price.. i dont think i can afford something much higher than the $150 for this, and mics. that Zoom mixer is pretty cool, but thats around $500 i think, and i dont think the built in mics would suffice me until i get the money to get new mics.

should i just hold off until later?

Hold off 'til you have more money. If you can find a nice used Mackie 1402VLZ for $200 that would be a much better investment. You would have to add an effects units, but what you're buying is better circuitry to handle the signals coming in from the drums. A Mackie 1202, 1402, or 1604 is about the minimum I would do - their mic pre-amps are not stunning, but they're built to handle drums at least. In fact, I own a 1604VLZ and love it. If you could find a used Yamaha O1v that's even better, but used the old silver ones will run you about $700.

I'm sure others here will argue that you can do things with a cheap mixer. I argue you should buy something once, not twice.

I argue you should buy something once, not twice.

definitely a respectable statement, and yeah i do have the budget to go all out ridiculous on a mixer and mics and such, but its my savings from i was like 7, so i'd rather not throw out 9 years of savings in a few days. i'll just get a real job first.. probably this summer and toss my pay checks into the drum fund. i'd still like to continue my research into all this equipment though.

also, getting a USB mixer, would there be issues with latency if i used one of my older computers to record into? or should i be looking into getting a macbook too or something?

also, getting a USB mixer, would there be issues with latency if i used one of my older computers to record into? or should i be looking into getting a macbook too or something?

Latency can sometimes be caused by just the USB audio interface, or the computer, or both. I had a rather nice Tascam US-1641 audio interface and a PowerBook G4, and I did experience latency when just recording stuff into GarageBand. I probably would've been better served by using a more powerful computer with as much RAM as I could afford, but I just decided to jettison the whole recording into the computer idea and went to a stand-alone multi-track. Much quicker for me to get the recording done.

Hold off 'til you have more money. If you can find a nice used Mackie 1402VLZ for $200 that would be a much better investment. You would have to add an effects units, but what you're buying is better circuitry to handle the signals coming in from the drums. A Mackie 1202, 1402, or 1604 is about the minimum I would do - their mic pre-amps are not stunning, but they're built to handle drums at least. In fact, I own a 1604VLZ and love it. If you could find a used Yamaha O1v that's even better, but used the old silver ones will run you about $700.

I'm sure others here will argue that you can do things with a cheap mixer. I argue you should buy something once, not twice.

Good advice. I have a little Mackie 1202VLZ that is terrific and I got it used off eBay. I wouldn't put too much weight on effects. You can always buy pedals, etc. for those. I'd worry more about the cleanliness of the sound, reliablity, etc.

Latency can sometimes be caused by just the USB audio interface, or the computer, or both. I had a rather nice Tascam US-1641 audio interface and a PowerBook G4, and I did experience latency when just recording stuff into GarageBand. I probably would've been better served by using a more powerful computer with as much RAM as I could afford, but I just decided to jettison the whole recording into the computer idea and went to a stand-alone multi-track. Much quicker for me to get the recording done.

I'm running my TASCAM US-1641 into an AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.8 Ghz with 8GB DDR3 RAM with Sonar Producer 8.3=zero latency.

Mackie is a good quality mixer for use in sound reinforcement, it doesn't have some of the better specs that I usually require a recording console must have, but for sound reinforcement, it doesn't have to. I use the mixer pictured below for some gigs and its never failed me. Other good quality mixers made for the road are Allen & Heath, Soundcraft and Yamaha. Peavey also has some affordable mixers, but I've never tried their brand, so I can't comment on them. If you're mixing just your kit, I'd look into something that has at least eight microphone channels for future expansion.

BTW, yes, I would hold off a bit on the mixer you pictured. Something better is lurking just around the corner and you'll find it.

DSC_0133-1.jpg

Dennis

Back