Jon Theodore

yeah, i think one of the unfortunate thing about rocking heavy is the inevitable zeppelin comparisons. personally, i think a lot of people use it as a way to marginalize bands, that, while there is certainly an influence of zeppelin, are not really out there flaunting their influence.

for example, i never hear people bashing the black crowes for their zeppelin influence, and geez, they toured with jimmy page and practical transformed into the band for 4 months, playing a bunch of deep zeppelin cuts. whereas the mars volta are surely influence by the heaviness of the sound, but last i recall, i don't remember plant singing in spanish, nor zeppelin albums employing use of free jazz, obvious latin rhythms, and, most of all, PUNK. that is the biggest thing that gets me. they play at tempos that zeppelin rarely approached. not saying that they are better for it, but it's just a difference. read any interview with jon theodore and he'll mention his rock influence but obsess over billy cobham and all the hardcore drummer friends who have influenced him

I think TMV are quite similar to The Mahavishnu Orchestra, you cans ee some links their, plus they were one of Jon's magor influences.

I saw TMV when they cam to AUS early this year and my god, best concert iv'e ever been to, Jon's durmming is such an experience! The entire concert is an amazing experience!

Theodore is easily my favorite drummer.

He is so expressive on just the snare drum. He has so much feel.

I totally agree with you..Jon Theodore is just sooo amazing (favorite drummer!!!)
Mars Volta's rythm section is awesome!

I'm a big Mars Volta fan too but I heard that Jon wouldn't play for their up-coming tour (Amputechture). He has back problems or something like that...

cervitalle_decay said:
I heard that Jon wouldn't play for their up-coming tour (Amputechture). He has back problems or something like that...

I hope that isn't so! I think he is one of the best "new" drummers out today, and is a key element to TMV's sound. I wonder who could possibly replace him?

Does anyone even have a clue, or theory as to why Blake Fleming is replacing Jon?

there are lots of rumours going around. most of them about how Jon just didn't like the direction the band was taking. I think we'll see some great stuff featuring Jon in the future. TMV lost the biggest part of what made the live shows so great.

But is Jon really leaving the band or he's just not going to do the tour for Amputechture?

Just found out Jon Theodore has left The Mars Volta The band cast that performed Amputechture will be modified for live dates that begin imminently, with drummer Jon Theodore replaced by Blake Fleming, formerly of Laddio Bolocko and Dazzling Killmen and actually the drummer who played on the very first Mars Volta demos.

If anyone's familiar with the Mars Volta, and you're a drummer, you no doubt know about Jon Theodore. I was curious as to what heads he uses on his reso side...I know he uses Remo CS clear on the batter side of his toms and bass, with a clear emporer on his reso on his bass. But what's the reso on his toms?

And just a side note...We'll miss you Jon :-(

From what I've heard, Jon was having back problems. Drumming wasn't helping. From an interview with Jon about the new record, he had said that the drumming was so insane that even he was having trouble with it. That's a lot to say coming from him...So perhaps touring every single night playing those songs COULD screw up his back pretty bad...But I don't know. And someone on The Comatorium forum (official mars volta message board) said that Jon wasn't real crazy about the new record to begin with.

As for Blake Flemming, if anyone has heard the original Mars Volta demos when they first started, Blake was the original drummer. And if anyone's heard Omar's "A Manuel Dexterity", Blake did all the drumming on that record too. He's not bad; in fact he's pretty damn good. But NO ONE can replace Jon in that band...No one can replace his style and his way of playing. He has big shoes to fill...I hope he can pull it off.

This look to to be permanent but I'm not really worried. Jon is such a capable musician I'm sure he'll do something good. I'd love to see him in a him-ish(not the finnish metal band) band again.

Ahh man I'd love that too...I have a video of an entire live set from HiM and it was amazing. There is some other drummer who's playing too and him and Jon kick ass. They're a really good band.

Remo coated Ambassador on snare batter, CS black dots on tom and bass drum batters, clear Ambassadors on bottoms of toms and on front of bass drum.

What do you mean we'll miss you?

radiofriendlyunitshifter said:
he's no with the mars volta anymore.

Holy crap! He was so good with the MV. Where'd you find this out?

Back