Anyone used a Gibraltar Bass Drum Cymbal Mount?

I am seriously considering purchasing a bass drum cymbal mount for my 26" bass to give it a more vintage/Bonham look.

The one I am most interested in at the moment is the Gibraltar one:

http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa=partsdetail&curcat=2&bnd=11&cid=105&sid=472&pid=1621

To me it looks simple, which is what I am going for, but is it sturdy? I will be sticking a 24" 2002 ride on and obviously don't want the drum to develop a big massive crack!

So any comments/opinion on this piece of hardware would be much appreciated.

Yes I have had one for years on my Tama Stagestar 18 inch bass drum kit.
It works perfect. It never slips or loosens.
I am thinking of getting another one for another kit that I own.
I put heavy 21 and 22 inch rides on it.

Attachments

• 0821001009.jpg
    0821001009.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 11,937
Thanks Bob

Would you say the mount feels securely fitted to the drum? And would it handle the ride being crashed?

The mount itself does look quite big though, compared to say the Ludwig one.

If you don't want to go for the Gibraltar one, you can make your own from a floor tom leg mount, an L-bent floor tom leg, and some other random cymbal hardware components. See mine in pics below, one showing it with cymbal, one without.
I'm not a huge heavy hitter but *yes* these are sturdy and safe on the drum (Bonham used his Ludwig one with a 24 ride all those years).
gretsch2010b.jpg

gretsch2011b.jpg

I recently put one on my Gretsch kick. And currently I have a heavy 22" ride on it that I use for dual crash/ride purposes. I hit it HARD and it never budges, strong as an ox.

Now, it is very tall but I solved that in about 10 minutes by cutting it down. Its easy:

1) drive out roll pin holding the cymbal tilter to the tube and remove

2) Cut down tube to desired length - I'd recommend using a proper tube cutter that plumbers use, you can get them very cheap at big DIY/Hardware stores

3) Nudge the tilter back on with a soft hammer

4) Using an appropriate size HSS metal drill bit, redrill the hole for the roll pin and drive the pin back in

You should have a newly shortened tube and can switch the L-rod if you wanna go short or tall. I took about 6" off of my tube but you can take as little or as much as you want. The best thing is you get a 'short' version that's half the price of the DW short one!!

Thanks for all the comments, that certainly puts my mind to ease.

It does look tall, but I will take your recommendation and cut it down.

Cheers

Thanks Bob

Would you say the mount feels securely fitted to the drum? And would it handle the ride being crashed?

The mount itself does look quite big though, compared to say the Ludwig one.
I see that your questions have been answered by the others who have done a great job I might add with their cymbal mounts.

Anyone got any shots of the DW short version of this?

I definitely want one of these, but in all these pictures it's way too high and I'd rather not cut one down. I like my ride just high enough so that it doesn't hit the kick when it swings.

Anyone got any shots of the DW short version of this?

I definitely want one of these, but in all these pictures it's way too high and I'd rather not cut one down. I like my ride just high enough so that it doesn't hit the kick when it swings.
The dw cymbal mount is very similar to the Gibraltar mount. The dw one just cost more. All that it really is is a floor tom leg mount with an L arm cymbal holder stuck in it.
It is real easy to cut down the Gibraltar cymbal holder. It will take simple tools and only a few mins to do it.
Ludwig also makes one that cost more.

Here you go, I have both the long and short versions. The long version came with the drums and I bought the shorter version, pictured, which works well in height with my 20" ride cymbal.

DSC_0730.jpg

Dennis

Cool thanks. Yours looks a bit different than the ones I've seen for sale online.

The description says 9", but it looks like your is adjustable.

I may take the advice about the Gibraltar, but it the DW is even just a bit higher quality I would rather have that since I plan on using it possibly a lifetime.

Whoever designs for cymbals at Gibraltar seems completely clueless about preventing damage.

I bought a Gibraltar x-hat, and the clutch has threading all the way up. No way I’m putting my cymbals on that destructo-matic.

I bought a Gibraltar cymbal boom arm (the kind you multiclamp onto another stand), and the centre rod is waaaaay fatter than any of my Pearl, Yamaha, and Tama cymbal stands, which means cymbals can hardly move before being abruptly stopped by the stand. No way I’m putting my cymbals on that destructo-matic either.

I don’t understand why that company still exists, given their products are so poorly-designed.

Whoever designs for cymbals at Gibraltar seems completely clueless about preventing damage.

I bought a Gibraltar x-hat, and the clutch has threading all the way up. No way I’m putting my cymbals on that destructo-matic.

I bought a Gibraltar cymbal boom arm (the kind you multiclamp onto another stand), and the centre rod is waaaaay fatter than any of my Pearl, Yamaha, and Tama cymbal stands, which means cymbals can hardly move before being abruptly stopped by the stand. No way I’m putting my cymbals on that destructo-matic either.

I don’t understand why that company still exists, given their products are so poorly-designed.
Interesting, I own two Gibraltar hat stands and the clutches are smooth where the cymbal goes. I have three Gibraltar cymbal stands and they have no issues with tight cymbals. I have five various Gibraltar cymbal arms and I have no issues with them either. I also have a Gibraltar single pedal that has no issues.
I have hardware from Sonor, Tama, Mapex, and Pearl also. I Have a vast amount of hardware to compare with. I don't hesitate to hang my Istanbul Agop or K Zildjian pies on Gibraltar hardware.
Hardware is all that Gibraltar makes. They supply many drum manufacturers such as Gretsch.

I have almost exclusively Gibraltar cymbal holders and have no clue what you're talking about. My cymbals swing freely without a problem. They use the same 8mm threads as the others you mentioned.

I have almost exclusively Gibraltar cymbal holders and have no clue what you're talking about. My cymbals swing freely without a problem. They use the same 8mm threads as the others you mentioned.

Wow, really? I mean, with the Gibraltar gear I have it’s really obviously very inferior to the high quality hardware I have from Yammy, DW, etc. The Gibraltar cymbal holder for example is almost half again as wide as any of my other stands. Would definitely damage cymbals if I foolishly gave it a chance. Unfortunately, Gibraltar gets a 100% failure rating from me, and I’m astounded that other people haven’t had the same bad experiences.

Are you using the plastic sleeve? Do you mean the distance from the wing nut to the bottom part of the sleeve? If so then thinner felts will do the trick. But honestly the ones it comes with are fine. Cymbals move freely.

Probably Anduin had a bad experience and vent's his thoughts, as he posted this earlier in another topic, to be fair... this doesn't even has anything to do with threaded cymbal tops,

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=983819&postcount=13

Besides, its not for nothing that Gibraltar is one of the best hardware brands out there together with Yamaha.

Like Drumdevil9 mentioned, if you use a plastic sleeve nothing will happen to your cymbals :
1127963_18003_popup.jpg

You could even use a sleeve without bottom for the hi-hat clutch:
31AIl-8avKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And look:
Gibraltar uses plastic sleeves on their cymbal tops...

GIBRALTAR_CYMBAL_DISPLAYS.JPG

(sorry for this long post wich is completely off-topic but this needed to be said ;) )

Last edited:
I just bought the Gibraltar bass drum cymbal mount. I want to install it on my Catalina Club Jazz kick but I'm not a handy person at all. I'm gonna ask a friend of mine to help me. Can someone tell me what size drill bit I need to use?

Can't help without knowing what size the mounting bolts are.......

Well I'll probably use the rubber gasket as my guide. The mounting screws are small but there are protruding posts that go into the shell so I have to drill holes that will be big enough for them to fit into. I don't want to screw this up.

Back