My favorite sticks

This thread has been going since 2005, and since we all seem to change things like this often, me included, I have gone to Vater, Nude, Fusion, nylon tipped sticks. They are just the perfect fit for my hands.

This thread has been going since 2005, and since we all seem to change things like this often, me included, I have gone to Vater, Nude, Fusion, nylon tipped sticks. They are just the perfect fit for my hands.

Until the next perfect fit comes along, that is!!

I started off using Vic Firth American Classic 7A's but I found my hands cramping up.
A letter in Rhythm Magazine gave me the solution as someone else had the same problem until they switched to Vater Chad Smith sticks. Perfect size & weight for me.
I've tried other 5A & 5B, but although the size is similar there is just something I prefer about the Chad Smiths.

Vic Firth Highlanders

Thee best snare sticks that you can find. But it's a bummer that Vic Firth discontinued it. But there are the Jim Kilpatrick Kp2's. They're awesome for snare

My favorite sticks currently are Vic Firth American Classic 55A hickory drum sticks. They are great all-around sticks.

Last edited:
I came across this site by mere coincidence when searching for my old firend's brand name of "BUNKEN".

In August, 2009, AEOLIAN had posted about his pleasure with a set of BUNKEN sticks.

I doubted anyone kew the history of those sticks or how they got their name. So I thought for historical purposes I would chime in.

I started a business in a very large old shoe factory in 1972 in Braintree, MA. The building was originally the C.B. Slater Shoe Company, and for historians was the actual site of the Sacco & Venzetti robbery in the early 20th century.

In the front of that building in a small space was a person making drumsticks. His name was Ken Drinan.

He was a very nice person with a good sense of humor, and he was clever as well. He was a musician by night, and he made drumsticks by day.

Surprisingly he was NOT a drummer! I believe he played a bass guitar.

He had a single Teledyne-Pines lathe and some other equipment.

His daughter, Nancy, and son, Kevin, helped him with the process.

His wife's name was Bunny. Getting the picture here?

So he called the drumsticks, what else, but BUNKEN!

I moved from that building in 1973, and I do not recall seeing him after that. He died sometime in the late 1970's.

This is my history lesson for the day. I could not resist after seeing the tradename mentioned.

Very cool story - thanks for sharing!

Well I actually use the Mangini's Signature sticks, at the beggining they are obviously very heavy, but after 9 months (I think) I actually play Aborted, Opeth and all that Death Metal songs with blast beats and actually work pretty well. The best of these are that are very powerful with a small stroke on the cymbals.

Does anyone have tried these?

204278_1_zildjian_drumsticks_mike_mangini_signature_6_pair_asmm.jpg

I just use my ProMark TX747N American Hickory sticks, and they are AMAZING. I haven't broken a pair yet, even though I play metal and I've been using the same pair for almost a month. I think they're around 5B size. They feel great and just are awesome sticks. I really recommend them - I bought 12 pairs from GearTree on Amazon for only 90 bucks... (not trying to advertise, it's just a good deal). You should try them out!

http://www.vicfirth.com/artists/joey_heredia.php
Heavy yet perfectly balanced and best of all-MAPLE!
What's funny yet is that I totally relate to the way He is constantly using smaller diameter cymbals,almost like playing fills on them-just like my images in my head when I play. Its just too perfect.
If He breaks his right foot, I've met my brother from another Mother......

I just discover Vic Grip; it was such a surprise to me. I like the feeling of holding sticks a way better than before (I don't take my sticks strong enough, and often they're flying)

I use 5A models and 5B (better for traditionnal grip, I think)

Wanna know a secret? Don't tell no one this at all, EVER... The looser you hold your sticks, the less they slide around!!! How cool is that? When you tighten up on the stick it's usually from one point on your hand and that's the thumb and forefinger.

If you loosen your grip and distribute it acoss all your fingers, especially the back of your hand (the pinky and ring fingers) then you will be putting more skin on the stick and as a result, the stick slides out of your hand less.

The reason your sticks are sliding is because of the pinch at the top; it's like squeezing a tube of toothpaste in reverse and as the stick undulates on its track, it "walks" a little. As we get better in our technique we learn to make small adjustments to pull it back in so much that they become completely involuntary.

Since I play a Roland E-Kit, I need something light.

The Zildjian 5A MAPLE GREEN DIP DRUMSTICKS are what work for me.

$%28KGrHqYOKokE4uYQcy5qBOPbl+4Ch!~~0_35.JPG

Promark 747n Oak.... Took me ages to find my perfect stick. Ultra durable and perfect weight

Likewise.. It took me several months to finally figure out these are the best choice for my playing. I don't hit easy by any stretch, but I definitely don't feel I wail away either. I would say I'm somewhere in the middle. And these sticks seem to fit in perfectly and the nylon tip wont chip away.

Back