Ludwig Double Pedals

RodneyZepa

Just looked through 13 pages to see if anyone has anything on Ludwig Hardware, specifically, their double bass drum pedals...In their catalogue I see only 2 models:
LM312FPR (Retails around $140) and LM812FPR (Retails around $250)...Anyone have any experience or advice on either of these ? What is the quality like on either of these ? I like my DW5000 Single but want Double pedal as I've got 2 kits...So may choices but wondering if Ludwig dependable for starters...Or evn in the long run...Thanks...

First time I've seen a ludwig pedal besides a speed king. Just from looking at them I probably would pass and get a used DW, Pearl Eliminator, Iron Cobra or Yamaha pedal. Those ludwig pedals just don't look that well built to me. I think if you are used to playing with DW5000 you will be dissappointed in that ludwig pedal.

The Pro model is pretty nice.
I had a single pedal with the double chain and the plate, but even though it was nice (and sturdy), it just felt too light to me.
If you like a lighter, smooth feel, it'd probably be a fine pedal.

Their other hardware is very roadworthy stuff. No problems. The Modular Hi hat stand especially is a really good stand. Very solid, real nice feel.

I've had a set of Ludwig Modular hardware for at least 15 years (lost track, might be close to 20 yrs.).
Very nice stands, & they aren't going to fall apart on you.

I've been quoted $250 for brand new Ludwig 812 Double kick pedal which is in my price range...I would like to keep my Ludwig kit equipped with their hardware as well...Ludwig stands certainly are roadworthy and dependable...Their "Pro-Float" 918 HH stand is around $200 which seems to be what DW and others go for...I do beleive I'll go with the Ludwig pedals and stands...Karl...You're a Ludwig guy...I've got the 18 x 24 CM kick and this thing is incredible...Sonic boom or what ! Ludwig sent me wrong kick and I'm waiting for the 16 x 24 I'd ordered...In the meantime...What, in your experience, have you used for heads / muffle with this size kick drum ? Tuning as well...During band practice last nite, I was over powering our Bass player...Guitar player said he could feel my kick in his chest...Incredible...The definition of "Bass Drum" right here...Thanks...

I use a Coated Ambassador batter (Smooth White front).
Or, a Ludwig White coated batter. The Ludwig head is pretty deep sounding. I have a couple on order now actually.
4" holz.
I muffle the batter on the outside with a rolled towel.

1" foam on the bottom of the shell to soak up any sound bouncing around. I use strapping tape strips to keep it in place so I don't have to mess with it.

Something like this (not this product, but this is the general idea):
http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/usa/products/accessories/PK20.html

The foam doesn't have to touch either head, it just there to keep the mic from picking up bouncing sound waves.

I use a 2x3 or a 3x4 piece of coated Ambassador head for the beater patch taped to the head on the edges.

Pics of this are in the "show us your muffling" thread.

Tension is medium I guess, enough to where it feels good, and sounds good.
And all tension rods may not end up to be exactly the same. It starts out like that tapping around the edges, but when it's being hit with the pedal, I tweak it till it sounds best.

Personally, I'd have kept the 18x24, it's a great size (18 deep). 16 is cool too, but I actually prefer a deeper shell given a choice.
I like all my bass drum sizes, but the deeper ones are more fun to me. It kinda depends on what you are doing though. I'm mainly playing in rock, and hard rock settings in some bigger places with big PA's and all that.

The 20x26 still works in a 100 seat room unmic'd too (and sounds great), but it's not "necessary" of course. I've never had anyone have anything negative to say about the bass drum size either.
I use a 16x26 (or 16x28) in the Cheap Trick tribute band I'm in. If I was in a blues band, I'd use the 16" deep drum (or a 14" depth if I had one).

If I get involved in any cover band situation I'll get a 20x24. A 26 isn't what's going to work best for a variety of different songs.
...anyway, I like bass drums haha!

As for the pedal, get what feels best under your foot.

It's nice to have all "X" brand products, but if something as important as a pedal isn't going to work for you, it's best to get what does.

The Ludwig pedal may work great for you, all I'm saying is just don't get real hung up and hold onto having all one brands gear if it's not exactly what you need.

Good luck!!

Thank you for tips on Kick Tuning...I've installed EMAD with 1/2" foam and threw in small pillow...Dampens a bit too much but at least learning as I go...Your head tuning helps as well..Problem with living in smaller city is not a whole lot of selection on anything and when I ask for price quotes it takes forever...Really disappointing...On bright side, I don't spend a lot of money this way...I'm now concentrating on my Ludwig CM 8 x 14 snare...I like the "pop" as well as low end and this baby can combine both to certain degree...I've seen where other drummers have installed 42 snare wire...I put 24 Pro Sound on 8 x 14 and didn't notice much change...You think more wire way to go with perhaps a single ply batter head ? My Gretsch Maple 6.5 x 14 Renown is such nice sounding snare...Love it but want to tune Luddy 8 x 14 as best as I can get it as well...

Back