What do you use to move your drums? (Vehicle wise)

I weasel my kit in and out of our singer's 10-year old Corolla sedan. I don't like driving, he likes the company and he also helps lug in and out, which helps augment his gym workouts. Win win.

When he can't give me a lift I weasel the drums in and out of my 20-year old Corolla sedan.

I use my beautiful, squeaky clean, lettered and logo'ed white 2006 Ford E250 Ace Electric work van with the cool wheels, dark tinted glass, ventshades, mudflaps Triton V8, Sirius/XM satelite radio, Onstar Radio, CB, CD, AM, FM, DVD GPS, LoJack, Wireless Internet Access, EZPass, Roof Racks, 5 different types of Ladders, stocked with all the essential toolery and test equipment and roadside disaster emergency needs including a defribulater and dialysis machines to move my kit.

Ha! That's funny. I used to love using one of the work vans to take my kit to rehearsals because it was a Dodge Sprinter (the really tall ugly looking van). I would leave everything set up. Cymbals on stands and all.

When I would get there, everyone would grab a piece and I would be set up in no time.

The downside was that if I were to have gotten in an accident, I could have died a gory "Braveheart" style death. Death by cymbal is not cool.

I owned a PT Cruiser for a few years, was super happy. Hatchback style opening, seats came out, 5-speed 4-banger. Didn't win any races, but mileage was great.

i used to have a GMC safari which was the bee's freakin' knees. It was wonderful on space casue you could remove the back benches easily and it got about 18 city mpg and maybe 24 highway? i know its not terribly great but you can pick them up (or the exact duplicate the chevy astro) for like 2500 tops
Those Safari & Astro vans are a great gig vehicle you can get a lot of gear in them my bass player has one with awd that is great in the snow.

I have a 2003 monte carlo I can get my whole kit & my wife in there and go anywhere @ 29 mpg.

All I drive are Chevrolet's being from Detroit I don't. consider anything else except GMC,Buick,Cadillac, you get my drift.

Bonzolead

2003 Toyota Camry. 6 piece kit, 6 cymbal stands and other necessary hardware, room for one passenger, 30 MPG.

On the serious side. We had a renovated school bus. We had 6 rows of seats near the front and pulled the rest out. Serious equipment back then. Plenty of space to cary it around.

When I got out of high school and had the 8 piece rogers set, I had a Ford Pinto Wagon and everything fit. No passengers!

Now I am deciding.
I am thinking about making a set of road (flight) cases. I have the Catalina's by Gretsch. The Red ones. They are beautiful. Usually I am not a guy that worries about scratches etc, but I think these drums can get ugly real quick without proper protection. I am hoping to be up to gigging in a few months so I need to start thinking about this now.

Plan on buying a Toyota Tacoma (sorry bonzolead) pickup after the first of the year..

Ha! That's funny. I used to love using one of the work vans to take my kit to rehearsals because it was a Dodge Sprinter (the really tall ugly looking van). I would leave everything set up. Cymbals on stands and all.

When I would get there, everyone would grab a piece and I would be set up in no time.

The downside was that if I were to have gotten in an accident, I could have died a gory "Braveheart" style death. Death by cymbal is not cool.

OMG I can't believe you did that!

You must have to take turns pretty slow!

Subaru Outback Sport. I don't even have to fold the back seats down. I have a small Gator Bag that goes in first, then the floor tom on top of that. The bass drum lays down and the tom goes on top of that, with the snare between both stacks of drums and the cymbal bag in front. JUST enough room to shut the door. Thank god for 8x12 toms. Any deeper and it would have to go in the front seat.

THAT is so awesome.

That's almost as cool as the guys in the 80's who would put their whole rack in the back of semi without breaking down a thing! (that is, the ones who toured arenas and could afford such a thing!)

my band has a ford e-150 conversion van that takes my drums to most of my gigs. We have 4 captians chairs, and we can fit the half stack, bass rig, two mains, two monitors, 4 piece drumset (24" kick) hardware case, 4 rubbermaid tubs of merch, fiddle amp, mic stands, guitar, bass, and luggage!

I drive a toyota tacoma (the newer kind) extended cab (not the 4 door though) and I can fit my whole drumset minus hardware in the cab and passenger seat if I have to, and only put my hardware case in the back of the truck. I can lock the case down to the bed if I have to leave it over night. I usually throw the kick in the back so I can take a passenger, and throw it in the front if I have to leave the truck (like to go eat somewhere or something)

I used to have a mazda 3 hatch back, and that was a cool car and you can fold the seats down and fit a whole drumset in the back and still have room for a passenger. It somehow managed to shake the "station wagon" look and still look cool.

I move my 7 piece DJ Drums kit, rack and everything else with my trusty VW Polo '93. The 14" floortom has to sit in the passenger seat then..

In this picture it's just my 5 piece Rockstar with hardware and stuff. It drives 15 km per liter fuel btw :).

Attachments

• Foto153.jpg
    Foto153.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 999
we have a P.A.guy so we don't have to haul that (thank god)
our Keyboardist has a 2006 Ford Van for all the bands gear
but i load my drums in my 2001 ford taurus

Chrysler Town & Country. Back seats removed I fit the whole 6 piece kit, monitor, rack hardware, cymbals. Also the gear sits low so there is no rear view obstacle. Throw a blanket over the gear and with tinted windows you can't see anything. Good, not great gas mileage and a mini-van is cheaper to insure than a truck too.

I move my 7 piece DJ Drums kit, rack and everything else with my trusty VW Polo '93. The 14" floortom has to sit in the passenger seat then..

In this picture it's just my 5 piece Rockstar with hardware and stuff. It drives 15 km per liter fuel btw :).

A proper car! Oh yes indeed!

What if it rains? wet gear?

No wet gear here, Larry. Helping to haul for the guitarist is only a 'sometimes" thing but nonetheless I'm prepared with tarps and tiedowns for him and myself. In addition to that my bags (by Protection Racket) are waterproof, so double protection for my drums and hardware. I leave nothing to chance and it's not much extra work at all.

P.S. Unfortunately we haven't been getting much rain here in So Cal lately. I hope that changes this year.

2003 Fiat Punto gets all my gear in with just about enough room to spare...does anyone else always worry about their suspension when the hardware case goes in?...Then it takes me to work and back 5 days a week. Poor little thing.

Thinking about buying a cheap vauxhall astra van.

Back