Does anyone actually do gigs with large bass drums any more?

Bo,
You worded your reply in a very elegant fashion, and I agree with your opinion and sentiment.

I played a few gigs with 18, 12, 14 and while it's true that the drums can be mic'ed to sound larger, they can't physically get that big slow punch of a big bass drum.

...And the 18 looks feeble.

I have two kits, one with a 16x20" kick and the other with a 14x22". And I actually find that the two inches of depth usually makes more difference on a small stage than the two inches of width. But I've never found the 20" to be lacking in punch when I use it. I tune up the 20" high for jazz when I need that high-pitched, boomier kick sound.

The things I find that impact stage footprint as much or more than kick drum size are extra stands, larger hi-hats, or larger floor toms.

I don't begrudge anyone who likes a certain size of kick, whatever the size. I would probably never go larger than 22" because I prefer the toms to sit low and don't want them a mile apart. I have played a 24" and I didn't particularly mind the feel, but it had 13" and 14" power toms on it - and I had to reach up to play them.

With a big etup the hardware is definetly more of a hassle than the drums.

I still generally see people use the size bass drum that fits the style or look. Main difference is more 18" with some big bands and that thre are some usable 16" BDs these days.

Bass guitar usually sounds fine direct, so there is an option to go ampless. Today that works with guitar too, but there are a few more factors to consider there.

Back when I gigged (30 years ago) I never had cases and I never took my crappy hardware apart. If I didn’t have pliers and duct tape, I wasn’t playing if I had to collapse anything for travel. I never knew what good hardware was until many years later. Those were the days

I realize you're talking about really big bass drums, but in my world, that's a relative concept.

I never planned to play my 18" bass drum at rock gigs, but that's how it's been going the past couple years. Space is a factor. There's one club we frequently play where they stick the band between two booths where diners can sit. I can barely get out from behind the drums between sets with my 12/14/18 configuration, let alone anything larger.

But last weekend, we played outdoors on a nice, big gazebo, and I brought the 13/16/22. Man, did it feel good to play that big bass drum. The guitarist mentioned how good it sounded. That was fun.

So in my world, a 22" IS a big bass drum!

I use my 22 x 16 about 98% of the time or more.

I have a 20 x 12 for tight areas, but it doesn't see much action.

It feels like a kids set when I use it, the 20. An 18" BD feels like a toy to me. It's amazing how much difference a measly 2" diameter smaller makes right? I feel very dominant playing a 20" bass drum with the toms down lower.

20's are the minimum size for me. I wish 24's were not as tall, because that's probably my favorite BD tone. But I'm really lacking for nothing with the 22. Plus my toms are not too far over my snare drum.

Personally, I think a 26 is insane. It wouldn't be appreciated in my world.

But a 28 is OK :p

Similar to Bo, I had an 18" bass drum for several years. I used it to play blues and classic rock. We play a lot outside, and if it was not miced, it sounded puny. Now both of my bass drums are 22x18. Peace and goodwill.

I have to ask why anyone wants to play drums when they know there's a fair amount of schlepping that goes into being a drummer?

Is it the weight on your back as you haul stuff?

I do think, in addition to sounding good, that a real-size drum kit just looks better. If I'm hiring a band, I'd rather see adult-sized instruments on the bandstand.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if any new and aspiring drummer thinks at all about the issue of hauling gear. I cetainly didn't. I was just completely enamoured with drums and their sound, that's the instrument I wanted. All other considerations came much later.

Regarding hauling the gear, I have to say that "the weight on your back" is an undeniable consideration. We're not talking practicality or logistics anymore, we're talking about our health. I've found this out the hard way. We may all have our preferences for kit sizes but I will never hold it against a drummer if they downsize out of a real or perceived need for their health.

Bo, I love your matter-of-fact way of referring to a "real-size drum kit", and we all know what that means :).
While each uf us may have their preference, I think it is quite true that a downsized kit does look rather overly discreet on a large stage. It doesn't have to be stadium gig, a small to medium venue where the audience may be at 10m or 20m distance will already be enough to optically shrink a drumkit. I've said it before and I'll say it again: hats off to anyone who proudly carries the banner of large bassdrums for reasons of music and showmanship.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can definitely tell when the bass drum is smaller than 22 (yes, even through a PA with subs). It just doesn't have the same "punch". The attack portion of the sound is much brighter, and the balance of that part of the sound with the "thump" is affected. All of this is not a problem, unless the music needs to punch as well.

For big band, small combo, indie-rock, singer/songwriter? A small bass drum is fine, and can actually sound better. But for dance bands, blues, and rock, a 22 sounds "correct". 24's and 26's often get a little muddy through a PA, and can get lost underneath distorted guitars and growing bass.

C and C makes some kits with shallow 22X12 bass drums, which is a good way to save room on stage.

My last kit had a 22x20 (Bought it ten years ago - seemed like a good idea at the time! ) Now playing 22x16 - only difference i've really noticed is now my singer doesn't step on my mic stand every time he turns round!

I had the old 26 Ludwig and also 24s. I seem to prefer the 18 depth of a 22. I like the deep 22 kicks most. I really never liked the sound on bigger and shallower kicks. 22 X 18 is the sweet spot for me.

I know a drummer that has Pearl Exports. He keeps borrowing my electronic kit to play gigs.

I used to have 18x14 Gretsch bass drum, Catalina. It was a punishment to me : first, the sound, dry and high, second, the hassle of the lifter, third, it didn’t save that much space, once the stands were in place. True it wasn’t heavy and easy to pass doors. At that time I used a 22x18 Tama. I’m happier now with my 22x16 - I wish this size were easier to get.

If I need to go light : 22 12 14 and less cymbals.

I used to have 18x14 Gretsch bass drum, Catalina... the hassle of the lifter...

Yep, seemed like a good idea when I got one. So easy to move the bassdrum around but that benefit is quickly negated by the need to use a raiser in order for the beater to strike the head closer to the centre.

The reduced contact with the floor also meant that this very light bassdrum had a tendency to move slightly out of place if the spurs weren't half screwed into the floor.

I bet Bo doesn't have this problem with his new 28" :).

Back