Aydee's sold his soul...

Its finally here!

set it up.. figuring it out.....its cool but..........." overwhelming".

and fun.. need a good amp ( whats a good sound for this rig? ).. any ideas where to go from here...where to get more, sounds, better hi-ha action...

Garvin, Harry.. help!

Need to get my dw 5000s going with this...

View attachment 25831
View attachment 25832
View attachment 25833
View attachment 25834
View attachment 25836
View attachment 25835
View attachment 25838
View attachment 25837
View attachment 25839

Very cool, congrats, but your yammies look so lonely over there! Which series are those by the way???

Those are Yamaha MCANs, the sweetest sounding drums ever made by man, and irreplaceable imo.

I needed an apartment building substitute for them. Thats the idea.

AD looks like fun.. Every night at about 9 I wish I has some mesh pad ad some headphones. I would drum all night.
Did that all come in one box??

AD looks like fun.. Every night at about 9 I wish I has some mesh pad ad some headphones. I would drum all night.
Did that all come in one box??

You got the picture, GD..its nice to keep the volume manageable or keep it totally personal with headphones.

Thats a huge plus, not to mention some of the patches which make you sound like you're playing to 50, 000 in Shea Stadium.

Glass of wine, close your eyes, and you're there : )

.....need a good amp, though ( whats a good sound for this rig? ).. any ideas where to go from here... Harry.. help!
I have 2 Roland PM-1 (60 watt) units. Very versatile. I've run vocals, guitar, and bass thru them, as well. So if you get some cats over to the crib some night, you can jam. And "you" control the volume. No more "hey....mr. geetar player....for the 4th time....could you turn down pleeeeese!?!" You can jam at "portable radio volume" all the way up to "really piss off the neighbors volume". The PM-1 is no longer made, but you can still find them. I bought both of mine used. Currently, Roland makes the PM-10 (30 watts) and the PM-30 (200 watts). If you really want power, the Roland TDA-700 (300 watts), will scare people.

Those are Yamaha MCANs, the sweetest sounding drums ever made by man, and irreplaceable imo.

I needed an apartment building substitute for them. Thats the idea.

I know you did, just messing with you. ;-) Have fun with all the possiblities that the roland kit will open up. Not to mention now you can go "in the round" with your setup when you get a chance.........Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

That looks fun! It's the joys of getting a new drum set, and the joys of getting new electronics, blending together in one box!

Hey, Aydee. It's Chris (golions). I do have experience playing both: I play the E kit for our worship band in church; I play the MCA's for our 'road' band when we play festivals and retreats. I struggle with our E kit, so I am hoping you can help me when you get things settled in. We have the Roland TD20 in church. The thing that I just cannot establish is the 'feel' of the E kit. For example, I can't get a good hi hat wash, or a good snare rim shot, or a nice sounding ride cymbal. Our module has tons of choices (heads, sizes, etc.), so that's good. I just do not get the feedback I need when I strike a cymbal or the hi hats. Give me some pointers when you have it mastered. I'm sure it's my inability to get it right. But, for me, it's nothing like playing my MCA's. Please keep in touch on this one. I would very much like your input.

Chris

Thanks guys!

Harry, the 100 Roland sounds appropriate. the 300 might cause window damage,eh?

Chris, I hear you on the hi hat. Its too early for me to comment because I've just had one go at it last night, but yes they feel less than satisfactory.

Harry & Garvin are the resident gurus on the subject and a lot more qualified to give you the right advice, but i'll keep u posted on my progress.

I'm okay with the feel. You just have to get it into your head that this isn't a drumkit, its a different instrument. Try extremely light sticks if the bounce is getting to you.

Agree on the "Nothing like MCAs". What a kit man!! Its an old story now but I still cant get over it ; )

In the everlasting words of Drew Barrymore in E.T.... They're here!

Dear Abe,

You're screwing up one of my favorite movies and actresses. (Drew Barrymore - Ack! I almost had her. Damn rehab.) That line was from Heather O'Rourke in Poltergeist. See how the Edrums are slowly eating at your faculties? Mwuhaha! See you soon.

Love,

Satan

P.S. I was very inspired by that movie, American cinema is so creative. I mean what they did with a clown and a tree is beyond even my darkest imagination.

P.S. I was very inspired by that movie, American cinema is so creative. .

This lad needs help, Mr. Kurasawa..

Sorry, Drew Barrymore's cuter so my addled memory naturally veers towards her.

To really appreciate the essence of American cinema, you need to get some Cheech & Chong dvds..

I have 2 Roland PM-1 (60 watt) units. Very versatile. I've run vocals, guitar, and bass thru them, as well. So if you get some cats over to the crib some night, you can jam. And "you" control the volume. No more "hey....mr. geetar player....for the 4th time....could you turn down pleeeeese!?!" You can jam at "portable radio volume" all the way up to "really piss off the neighbors volume". The PM-1 is no longer made, but you can still find them. I bought both of mine used. Currently, Roland makes the PM-10 (30 watts) and the PM-30 (200 watts). If you really want power, the Roland TDA-700 (300 watts), will scare people.

Utterly with you on this one Harry. Roland make great, versatile and reliable gear - as you know with your new kit.

Aydee, I've checked out the PM-10 and PM-30. They are both fine amps, it just depends on your volume needs. Roland does make great gear.

As far as the alternate sounds go, check out www.toontrack.com awesome software for acoustic samples. I got EZdrummer with several of the plugins. It sounds awesome, but I am waiting for Superior 2.0 right now. That is the mother of all acoustic sample programs. Watch the video on the toontrack website.

Then all you need to do is run one midi cable out from your module into an IO or whatever you use to get sound into your computer (you should have a midi in out on that). Then use whatever your favorite DAW is, which supports VST's and you are good to go.

Last edited:
Hey Abe,

Congrats on the new toy...let us know how this one goes. It looks nice and will keep you in the fix while you are in NYC.

Aydee, I've checked out the PM-10 and PM-30. They are both fine amps, it just depends on your volume needs. Roland does make great gear.

Got it. It'll probably be the PM 30.. if its amped, it might as well kick!

As far as the alternate sounds go, check out www.toontrack.com awesome software for acoustic samples. I got EZdrummer with several of the plugins. It sounds awesome, but I am waiting for Superior 2.0 right now. That is the mother of all acoustic sample programs. Watch the video on the toontrack website.

Thanks for this Garvin, will chk out. Might PM you to see if I can rig up my sound module racks to midi thru this stuff. What happens if I run synth pads, guitar patches thru mesh pads?

Then all you need to do is run one midi cable out from your module into an IO or whatever you use to get sound into your computer (you should have a midi in out on that). Then use whatever your favorite DAW is, which supports VST's and you are good to go.

I've got myself a macbook pro ( ouch! ) just for this purpose. Whats a good sound card to handle the stuff were talking about?

Thanks a ton, guy!

Hey Abe,

Congrats on the new toy...let us know how this one goes. It looks nice and will keep you in the fix while you are in NYC.

Will do Jim, not an easy transition mentally.. ( doesn't help that I'm somewhat of an electronic idiot )

The macbook is ready out of the box Aydee... I don't even know anything about soundcards and I run Reason, Logic, Ableton, and Garageband of course.

You can use your mesh triggers for anything. If you have samples, all the triggers do is send a signal to the program to tell it which sample to play. There are mapping issues you get into there, but i really don't mess around with that since the roland kits are basically setup for plug and play use.

The macbook is ready out of the box Aydee... I don't even know anything about soundcards and I run Reason, Logic, Ableton, and Garageband of course.

You can use your mesh triggers for anything. If you have samples, all the triggers do is send a signal to the program to tell it which sample to play. There are mapping issues you get into there, but i really don't mess around with that since the roland kits are basically setup for plug and play use.

I've used Logic and Cubase, though I'm told Reason is ideal for drums/perc stuff..

Ya, I guess it'll be some trail & error on the mapping issues and midi delays/ waveform shapes etc..

fun times in Aydeeville.. I'll pick your brains soon : )

Back