DW 5000 Heelless Pedal

Looks like a gimmick to me... How is having your heel on the floor more comfortable than having it on a heelplate? I fail to see what this model accomplishes.

The footboard also looks very steep and uncomfortable, but that can probably be adjusted.

edit: slightly off topic, but that is a wonderful snare tuning he has there! Seems to be tuned lower than I'd expect for his kind of drumming IMO. Love it

Indeed. The video is taped in the DW showroom; I suspect those drums are constantly kept at perfect tunings to always sound their best :)

I'd say it's probably an answer to pedal board designs like axis and trick and even speed king that have a straight pedal with no heel board on it. yes I know those pedals are offered in longboards and this one isn't. It may take off, it may not, but I applaud them for thinking outside the box.

DW Heel-Less has been out for years now, it hasn't 'caught on'.

DW makes it hard on themselves by having to convince buyers of contradicting benefits of different designs.

Heel-Less:
It’s heel-less profile allows drums an uninhibited rocking motion that improves speed and makes for even, effortless double strokes on the bass drum. --DW

Last edited:
DW Heel-Less has been out for years now, it hasn't 'caught on'.

DW makes it hard on themselves by having to convince buyers of contradicting benefits of different designs.

Heel-Less:
It’s heel-less profile allows drums an uninhibited rocking motion that improves speed and makes for even, effortless double strokes on the bass drum. --DW

Now that's a totally different version than what they showed in the video.

he knows that these are jsut variations on the 5000 pedal that is the solid board and next to it are the heel stackers. look on the dw site (dwdrums.com) and go to the section on dw 5000 pedals youll see em

Its just DW's take on the longboard pedal. It takes more effort to move the pedal forward, which equals more volume/power. Its not necessarily any easier to play heel/toe double strokes on, than a regular 5000 pedal. The main benefit to me of longboards, are being able to keep my huge feet on the pedal instead of he back half hanging off.

Seems like everybody is making some version of large footboards in the last few years. Not sure who started it, the first ones I saw were Axis. There might some before them that didn't catch on.

Its just DW's take on the longboard pedal. It takes more effort to move the pedal forward, which equals more volume/power. Its not necessarily any easier to play heel/toe double strokes on, than a regular 5000 pedal. The main benefit to me of longboards, are being able to keep my huge feet on the pedal instead of he back half hanging off.

Seems like everybody is making some version of large footboards in the last few years. Not sure who started it, the first ones I saw were Axis. There might some before them that didn't catch on.

This is not a "longboard" model bd pedal. They said that it's the exact same length as their standard DW 5000AD the only real difference you're getting out of this is a different feel with your heel being on the ground instead of being propped up on a heel plate.

hahaha... It is a long board... For short feet!!! He says his 8 1/2 fits all on the foot board... How about my 13 1/2!!!

Either way, I am still in love with my DW 5000 in a regular length... No plans to change, unless I can find some Axis long boards super cheap!

Now that's a totally different version than what they showed in the video.

Heel- Less 5000 single is $300

How you going to know which one is for you, stacked heel, raised (long board) heel, Heel-Less, or the standard 5000?

Both Accelerator and Heel-Less are touted to increase speed.

So which one more than the other? DW has kinda painted themselves into a corner.

Last edited:
How you going to know which one is for you, stacked heel, raised (long board) heel, Heel-Less, or the standard 5000?

Both Accelerator and Heel-Less are touted to increase speed.

So which one more than the other? DW has kinda painted themselves into a corner.

I think that DW is just trying to cover as many bases as possible, it's a good idea to have a large variety of feel when it comes to pedals. The more the merrier I always say :)

I think that DW is just trying to cover as many bases as possible, it's a good idea to have a large variety of feel when it comes to pedals. The more the merrier I always say :)
I think you mean as many basses as possible (I'm a funny dude)... snicker... anyways I think it would be smarter for them to come out with a 5000 set up that is modular. Clip on heel plate that goes behind whats being talked about here, which would look like the standard, and a long board that would replace the one shown here, and hook into the back of the clip-on back, and the existing heel plate would pop off or flip back for a SUPER long board. If any of you can imagine exactly what I am, I'd be impressed, and so would you be. :)

Back