Heads are doing something weird.

Biscuit

I done a search and i couldn't find an answer to my question. Sorry if this has been asked before.

What does it mean when the oily substance between the 2 ply heads is still visible after tuneing? Is this normal? It just caught my attention today and i was wondering if this was normal. They are Evans G2 batter heads if that helps. I used Remo Pinstrips before switching and never had that problem before. Can someone please shet some light on this? Thanks in advance!!

I done a search and i couldn't find an answer to my question. Sorry if this has been asked before.

What does it mean when the oily substance between the 2 ply heads is still visible after tuneing? Is this normal? It just caught my attention today and i was wondering if this was normal. They are Evans G2 batter heads if that helps. I used Remo Pinstrips before switching and never had that problem before. Can someone please shet some light on this? Thanks in advance!!

There actually is no oil in an Evans G2 head. The only related oil substance would be in the Evans Hydraulic heads. What you're experiencing are "Newton Rings". The rings are normally seen in two ply clear heads. It's caused by two highly polished surfaces (the Mylar) coming together at uneven pressures or tensions.

If any one is interested in the definition of Newton Rings, I can elaborate.

Dennis

I have always noticed the "Newton Rings" that appear in my two ply heads. I always thought that they were caused by light passing through the condensation that got between the plies. Kind of a prism, if you will. I accepted them as a natural phenomenon years ago. I think that they look cool!

This could get boring to a lot of people and some of the younger generation probably won't know what I'm taking about. Anyway, about forty five years ago I started in the field of photography. Back then it was the age of film and when someone wanted a print larger than the contact size of the negative, it had to be enlarged. This was done with a photographic enlarger were the negative was placed inside the enlarger in what's called a negative carrier and the distance between the negative carrier and the photographic "enlarging" paper determined the size of the "print". The black and white negative has basically two components, the emulsion side which is actually the image and dull when light is reflected off of it and the backing or base side which is a highly polished film. When this negative was inserted into the enlarger, the heat of the light bulb inside the enlarger would sometimes cause the "film" to buckle and this would cause various areas on the print to be out of focus. To alleviate this problem they invented "glass" negative carriers. With this glass insert, the carrier would sandwich the negative and keep it completely flat, thus getting rid of any kind of focus problems in the print. Beside having four more surfaces to keep clean and dust free so the imperfections would not be transmitted to the print, we now have the problem with the top sheet of glass making perfect contact with the top of the negative or base side of the film. When the pressure is not completely even across the top of the film, "Newton Rings" would appear because of the two highly polished surfaces. The only way to get rid of them was to adjust the pressure inside of the carrier or use something called "anti Newton ring glass". It was sheets of glass that were very finely etched so this effect would be eliminated.

There ya go.
Dennis

Newton Rings... thought I saw that on a restaurant menu somewhere.

'Anti Newton ring heads', great marketing idea!

EVANS should jump on it, capitalize on all the drummers who would prefer heads without unsightly Newton Rings. A 'clear' alternative.

End the worry of Newton Rings oozing out and making a mess all over should a drumhead break/crack.

This could get boring to a lot of people and some of the younger generation probably won't know what I'm taking about. Anyway, about forty five years ago I started in the field of photography. Back then it was the age of film and when someone wanted a print larger than the contact size of the negative, it had to be enlarged. This was done with a photographic enlarger were the negative was placed inside the enlarger in what's called a negative carrier and the distance between the negative carrier and the photographic "enlarging" paper determined the size of the "print". The black and white negative has basically two components, the emulsion side which is actually the image and dull when light is reflected off of it and the backing or base side which is a highly polished film. When this negative was inserted into the enlarger, the heat of the light bulb inside the enlarger would sometimes cause the "film" to buckle and this would cause various areas on the print to be out of focus. To alleviate this problem they invented "glass" negative carriers. With this glass insert, the carrier would sandwich the negative and keep it completely flat, thus getting rid of any kind of focus problems in the print. Beside having four more surfaces to keep clean and dust free so the imperfections would not be transmitted to the print, we now have the problem with the top sheet of glass making perfect contact with the top of the negative or base side of the film. When the pressure is not completely even across the top of the film, "Newton Rings" would appear because of the two highly polished surfaces. The only way to get rid of them was to adjust the pressure inside of the carrier or use something called "anti Newton ring glass". It was sheets of glass that were very finely etched so this effect would be eliminated.

There ya go.
Dennis

Wow!! Thanks Audiotech!! That's something i would have NEVER thought about. I'll take my head off tonight and retune it and see what happens. Thanks again Audiotech and thanks to everyone else that replied! You guys are awsome!!

Wow!! Thanks Audiotech!! That's something i would have NEVER thought about. I'll take my head off tonight and retune it and see what happens. Thanks again Audiotech and thanks to everyone else that replied! You guys are awsome!!

If your drums sound good to you, I would let them be. Newton Rings won't affect the sound of your drums, they are only an anomaly of sight, not sound when using a two ply clear head.

Dennis

Whenever I see these, it's generally around large dents (in OTHER people's kits). I generally try to avoid them. They don't really make a difference to the sound of your drum, but I just don't like dents =D

I have Remo Ebony pinstripes on my set. Brand new they showed the oily substance. It's like a purple, pink, and green mixture.

I assumed this was normal, as their is oil in between two plys?

Hmmm...

Nope, no oil in the pinstripes

Dont worry its normal, it in there to take the shock of the stick

Yes oil between them to take the shock

Nope . . . read the thread. There is no oil in Evans G2's or Remo Pinstripe heads. The only head that has oil between the plies are Evans Hydraulics which was mentioned in the 2nd post.

There ya go.
Dennis

i read this post a few days ago, went down to my studio and tripped out for like an hour hitting my heads and watching all the "newton rings" swirl around. put on some floyd, turned on a couple of black lights....

sad part was i wasn't even on anything and i was all grinnin and amazed like i was...

your not unread dude, the people that did read were all plaecebo stoned watching newton rings for the past couple of days....

Back